Two months had passed since Kano's death and Sonya's forced resignation from Special Forces. Since then, Johnny, Sonya and Cassie are trying to rebuild their lives. Each person has their own personal demons to face, and it won't be easy.
Tropes are as follows:
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: It's revealed that Sonya had pleaded for her partner's life. Kano proceeds to shoot him in the head.
- Attack Its Weak Point: As it turns out, Cassie's weakness is...Rocky Road ice cream. Jacqui knows this and uses this to get Cassie to open up to her about her rape.
- The Atoner:
- Sonya is this, rebuilding bridges she burned with her ex-husband and daughter.
- Cassie becomes this after finding out the truth about her mother from Jacqui.
- Johnny also becomes this due to his drinking.
- Auto Erotica: Johnny and Sonya in the back seat of his car following Zumba class.
- Bad Boss: General Flagg, Sonya's successor, is starting to show signs of this behavior.
- Broken Pedestal: Following the events in the last story, General Flagg sees Sonya as this.
- Bullying a Dragon:
General Flagg: "As I recall, you were the one who sent her on the goose chase for Kano. You were the one who got scores of soldiers killed because you had very little information. And you were the one who had to resign from Special Forces, not me, Blade. You remember that!" (Sonya clenches her fist, trying not to punch him out) "I have to wonder if you've ever fucked him before and he screwed you over. I think that's what this is about. Hell hath no fury" (cue Sonya decking Flagg)
- First, we have General Flagg.
James: "I know all about you, Cage. The dried up, used up, fake action star who uses CGI and special effects just to look a little bit legit. Two failed marriages, wannabe 'combat' champion trying to get into the army just to stalk his baby mama."Johnny: (as his fists began to glow green) "Fake action star? Wannabe combat champion? I hope you're not serious because that would be stupid. You better watch it!"James: "Or what, you're gonna hit me with your 'shadow kick?' I dare you, grandpa!"
- Second, we have James Townshend, the star of Johnny's film.
- Coitus Interruptus: Just as Sonya and Johnny begin to have sex, Jacqui calls with the news of Cassie's PTSD-induced meltdown.
- Hates Being Touched: Johnny finds this out the hard way when Cassie breaks his nose.
- I Warned You: Blake and Flagg can't say that Sonya didn't warn them about sending Cassie back to active duty following her torture and rape at the hands of Kano. When Cassie begins to show signs of PTSD (by attacking her teammates), She and Johnny take her home...after Sonya decked Flagg for his snide remarks.
- Mama Bear: Once again, Sonya Blade. When General Flagg places the blame on Sonya for what had happened to Cassie, he gets a punch to the face.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Cassie's reaction when Jacqui tells her about the fallout surrounding Kano's demise and of Sonya's forced resignation.
- Nice Job Breaking It, General: Nice going, Flagg. Reminding Cassie of her torture and rape not only causes her meltdown, but you insulting Sonya earned you a fist to the face.
- Oh, Crap!:
- Takeda, Kung Jin and Jacqui when Cassie flashes back to when Kano rapes her.
- Cassie gets one when a private message pops up on her Friendships page. As this is how Kano distracted her the first time around, she is petrified. Fortunately, it's Yuri.
- Cassie gets a second one when a man speaks to her in an Australian accent similar to Kano's. Fortunately, it's only a tourist.
- Old Flame: Johnny runs into his first ex-wife at the bar. The years haven't been too kind on Cindy, which is all that Johnny needs to decide that going back to Sonya was the best choice.
- Rape as Drama: Cassie is dealing with the mental trauma of her rape at the hands of Kano. Unfortunately this includes snapping at her parents who are trying to help her. Only Jacqui is able to break through Cassie's shell...with ice cream.
- However, Cassie relapsed when General Flagg brings up Cassie's trauma and blames Sonya for what Cassie had been through, which caused her to snap, forcing Sonya and Johnny to take Cassie home.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Secretary Blake, as he allows a traumatized Cassie to return home with her parents.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right!: Jacqui, seeing that Cassie is still suffering from the mental trauma of her rape, takes Cassie away from the base, despite the fact that Team S-F has a mission into Outworld.
- Johnny and Sonya, after Cassie's meltdown thanks to Flagg reminding Cassie of her rape, decide to take Cassie home until she recovers. This time, Blake allows it.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Cassie, following her rape.
- What the Hell, Hero?: When Cassie begins to bad-mouth her mother in front of Jacqui, Jacqui is quick to defend Sonya.Jacqui: "You're mad at the wrong fucking person, dammit. Aunt Sonya's been trying to help you. She's not the enemy."