Once More From The Top is a fanfic written by Snafu the Great.
Following Shinnok's defeat in Mortal Kombat X, Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade are slain by D'Vorah, who blasts the both of them with Shinnok's amulet.
With knowledge of what is to come, Johnny and Sonya now work to not only save their friends, but to save their troubled relationship...if they don't kill each other first.
- The Atoner: Sonya, after she realizes that her ex-husband was right in when he said that he chose her job over her family.
- Amicable Exes: Subverted. Sonya holds plenty of animosity towards Johnny at first.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Prior to Sindel's arrival, Johnny and Sonya decide to patch things up between them, and to give their marriage another shot.
- Berserk Button: Johnny presses Sonya's when he tells her that between him and Sonya, Cassie favors him. This leads the both of them fighting.
- Big Damn Kiss: Sonya gives one to Johnny upon revealing the Lin Kuei's tech in regards to opening portals.
- Chekhov's Gun: The photos of Johnny, Sonya and Cassie and of Team S-F, which Sonya uses twice; the first to convince Johnny that she was sent back alongside him, and the second time to gain the trust of Jax, Smoke and Sub-Zero.
- Heroic BSoD: Sonya goes through it after she realizes that Johnny was right about everything. It takes Jax, Sub-Zero and Smoke to snap her out of it.
- Heroic Sacrifice: In the first chapter, Sonya shoves Cassie out the way just as both her and Johnny are vaporized by Shinnok's amulet.
- I Did What I Had to Do: Sonya's explanation in regards to choosing her career over her family. Johnny's not buying it.
- For Want of a Nail: Johnny and Sonya are flung 25 years into the past after being killed by D'Vorah.
- In Spite of a Nail:
- I Have No Mother In a flashback, Cassie no longer sees Sonya as her mother, due to her being Married to the Job.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Sonya, coming to the realization that she had royally fucked up her relationships with both Johnny and Cassie.
- Never My Fault: Sonya denies that it was her being Married to the Job that ruined their marriage the first time around.
- It's All My Fault: Sonya finally takes responsibility that she had wrecked her marriage to Johnny and her relationship with Cassie in the hours before Shao Kahn's invasion.
- Rage Breaking Point: 25 years' worth of pent-up rage boils over for Sonya when Johnny says that Cassie prefers him over Sonya, which leads to the two of them coming to blows.
- Screw the Rules, I Make Them!: Sonya attempts to worm her way back into Cassie's life by offering her a commission and the chance to train under her. Cassie tells her mother to shove it. When Sonya makes Cassie's life a living hell through training, Cassie plans to let her enlistment expire so she can sign on elsewhere.
- Shout-Out: Several