One ordinary day at the zoo, the penguins overhear Julien getting his medical checkup. However, the veterinarian refers to Julien as a female. The penguins are at first baffled, but little clues start to build up, and when Julien is questioned, he reveals that technically the vet was right; Julien is, in fact, female. Unfortunately for Julien, none of the zoosters, including himself, understand the first thing about the condition, and the next few days become increasingly difficult.
Obviously not to be confused with the 2006 film of the same name.
Princess provides examples of:
- Adaptational Gender Identity: To explain matriarchal lemurs being ruled by a king, the fic interprets Julian as a transgender man.
- Animal Gender-Bender: Julien's gender identity caused problems in the matriarchal lemur society. Later, he and Joey bond when Joey reveals that he's suffered similarly as a male kangaroo with a pouch.
- Brain Bleach: Skipper, upon contemplating the idea of Julien having a heat period, wishes to "scrub my brain. Preferably with fire".
- Buffy Speak: According to Julien, female lemurs have a "thing that looks like a ... thing". Word of God is that there are very few in-character and remotely tasteful ways to say "giant clit".
- Coming-Out Story
- Continuity Nod: The fossas from the first Madagascar movie are mentioned.
- Darker and Edgier
- Easy Sex Change: Discussed and averted. With resident Mad Scientist Kowalski in the picture, he could quite easily change Julien's sex, but Skipper thinks it's a bad idea because the humans will notice. Kowalski offers anyway, and Julien refuses, having come to terms with who he is and being enough of a Narcissist to be unwilling to risk "jinxing" the rest of himself.
- Exotic Equipment: Julien, like real female ringtails, has a pseudopenis, which helped him pass for male to the non-lemur zoosters for so long.
- Gilligan Cut: Julien declares he will take the penguins' contempt with dignity, and the very next sentence shows him engaging in...
- Heartbreak and Ice Cream
- Narcissist: Julien still is one.
- Narrative Profanity Filter: Julien tells Skipper to do "something technically impossible". Context suggests it was "suck my cock" or something similar.
- Older Than They Look: Mort.
- Pass Fail: Julien can pass as male quite easily to non-lemurs. To other lemurs, however ...
- Recursive Crossdressing: Julien's occasional crossdressing is because he gets a kick out of people not realising his birth sex even when he's dressed like it, according to Maurice.
- Redemption in the Rain
- Self-Harm: Aged twelve, Julien plucked his own fur from the places his scent glands should have been, but stopped because it hurt enough to make him feel worse.
- Shown Their Work: Julien, being a female-anatomied ringtail, lacks the wrist spurs and scent glands possessed by the males, and has the Exotic Equipment mentioned above. Skipper also mentions the avian W/Z sex chromosomes.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: Maurice mentions that, to other lemurs, Julien still looks like an attractive female, which makes things rather awkward.
- Trans Relationship Troubles: Julien being outed as trans puts a strain on his relationship with Marlene. She isn't familiar with the idea and just thinks that Julien is using her as a beard.
- Unusual Euphemism: Skipper describes himself as having been "such a cloaca".
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Julien's fondness for still wearing dresses is brought up. Eggy also takes to wearing pink flowers and calling himself "Princess Eglantina" in the epilogue.