Clementine, a young girl with a traumatizing past only seeks love and attention after she believes to have lost everyone close to her. A mysterious archer with a life full of trial and tribulation and little love is all alone. How will things change?
Old Scars is a Family/Hurt/Comfort fanfic based on the Episodic Telltale franchise, The Walking Dead. Written by WalkingDeadRox, the story is a retelling of the events of Season 2 with several twists and turns, while being told through the perspectives of the two main characters: Clementine and Zeke, the latter being an Original Character created by the author.
This Fanfic Contains Examples of
- Abusive Parents: Both Zeke and Sarah are examples of this, although its much more serious with Zeke.
- Adaptational Badass: Sarah. Initially considered The Load in Season 2, Sarah is given much more awareness of her environment, as well as a determination to become more independent and not as sheltered as her father, Carlos, wants her to be.
- Adaptational Jerkass: Carlos, who was well-meaning with his actions, is given several Kick the Dog moments that paint him as a more broken man.
- Adaptational Early Appearance: Everyone is introduced to Clementine shortly after the events of Season 1, instead of being introduced after Clementine travels with Christa for a year and a half.
- Anti-Hero: Zeke is a Type 2 Anti-Hero. He cares about his friends and traveling companions, but his traumatic childhood has left some very deep scars.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Jonah and some of his followers at New Haven. It might appear to be a peaceful settlement with safety and food, but it's also a human slaughterhouse.
- Break the Cutie: As usual for any story set in the world of The Walking Dead.
- Contrasting Sequel Main Character: Zeke to Clementine. While Clementine grew up in a loving environment that was taken away from her by the outbreak, Zeke's life has been a constant uphill battle, having been raised in an abusive home and having to take care of his younger brother, Decker.
- Coming-of-Age Story: Not just for Clementine, but also for Sarah and Zeke.
- Darker and Edgier: A lot of Sarah's character development becomes this, as she is almost raped and even becomes suicidal at one point.
- Decomposite Character: AJ is never conceived in this story. His role is split between Clementine and Genevieve.
- I Just Want to Be Badass: Both Clementine and Sarah. Both of them know that they need to be tougher in order to survive in the new world, so both start making strides to cope to their environment and prove themselves to everyone else. Only problem is, it can occasionally cloud their judgement, especially during times of grief.
- I'm a Humanitarian: The residents of Hayfield survive by killing other survivors, sometimes even residents.
- Interrupted Suicide: At her absolute lowest point Sarah is prepared to commit suicide by slitting her own wrists, only to be stopped by a hallucination of Zeke.
- Kids' Wilderness Epic: Much of Zeke's childhood revolved around him and his brother exploring the wilderness to get away from their father.
- Original Character: Zeke and Genevieve.
- Posthumous Character: Zeke's little brother Decker, is mentioned in almost every chapter despite being dead for over a year.
- Rounded Character: Sarah is given much more development here than she did in Season 2. We learn that she was bullied in school due to her anxieties which led to her father sheltering her from the outside world. She is also more capable and self-aware than some realize and wants to be more independent.
- Switching P.O.V.: The story is told through the perspectives of Clementine, Zeke and later Sarah.