Growing Daylight is a Trollhunters fanfic by Mintyscakepups.
Set several years post the Eternal Night, as the trolls of New Trollmarket are still trying to find their footing in their new home. Ever-busy Trollhunters, Jim and Claire, find themselves on the receiving end of another one of fate's surprise curve balls - just when they were starting to figure out how to manage their mountain of responsibilities.
Growing Daylight provides examples of:
- Berserk Button: Being reminded that people depend on him seems to be one for Jim, mainly because he is well aware of that and doesn't need reminding of it.Jim: Yeah[.] You hit a big red button.
- The Bet: A betting poll was made between Jim and Claire's friends on the gender of their child. Mary, Darci and Toby bet on it being a girl, while their parents think it would be a boy. The betting only becomes more heated when they find out that they are having twins.
- Disappointed in You: When a troll Drinking on Duty causes the gyre to explode, Jim says he isn't mad, just disappointed.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Apparently Strickler hates it when people refer to him as "Waltolomew." Jim likes to tease him over it.
- Drinking on Duty: An accident that leads to the gyre explode was caused by one of the trolls working on it drinking on the job.Klarl: You... were working on the reconstruction of a piece of delicate troll technology while inebriated ?!
- Gossipy Hens: While they are waiting for the doctor, Darci and Mary ask Claire for details if Jim's "equipment" are like a human's or not. She refuses to give any details.
- Half-Human Hybrid: There are implications that Jim and Claire's unborn children are this, Claire possessing a craving for their silverware during her pregnancy.Jim: [Claire] told me that she's caught herself checking out our silverware a few times and wondering what it tastes like.Barbara: Uh oh. I don't think that's a craving she can satisfy.Jim: Maybe if she's cool with losing a few teeth.
- I Am Not My Father: It is strongly implied that Jim is dead-set on not being a deadbeat like his own father was, claiming that he at least wants to "start this whole fatherhood thing with [his] best foot forward, instead of fumbling that like [he] end[s] up fumbling everything else!"
- Insufferable Genius: Merlin had agreed to apprentice Claire in the mystic arts. The only problem is that he has a habit of disappearing for weeks or months at a time without warning. He also knew that Claire was pregnant - or had known that she would have been in-spite of their differing species - and completely neglected to tell them. When he confesses this to Claire, she tries prying more from him, only for him to disappear again.
- Major Injury Underreaction: In Chapter 4, Blinky is treating a troll whose entire shoulder was completely gone from a training accident, his arm only hanging on by a small strand of stone. While Blinky chews him out over it, the troll seems more proud of it if nothing else."What's the good of a battle scar if you can't show it off?" The wounded troll ventured."Well, if you're not careful, that pride is going to cost you your axe-throwing arm." Came Blinky's response."Ach, I'll still have the javelin-wielding one," the troll assured and waved his other hand.
- Stealth Insult: Darci jokes that out of the three of them to wind up pregnant first, she was sure that it would have been Mary instead of Claire.
- Wacky Cravings: Claire wants to eat silverware; admittedly she only wants to taste it but that still counts.
- A Wizard Did It: When Claire muses about how it is possible that they could conceive a child when she is a human woman and Jim is half-troll, Toby responds by saying that magic does not make sense in-general so they shouldn't think too hard on the "how"."Pregnant." [Jim] repeated, staring down at her with glazed eyes. "How... how did this...?"Claire hit him with the most noncommittal jazz hands he'd ever seen. "Magic," she responded, trying the best she could not to appear like she was freaking out internally.
- Wonder Child: Jim and Claire did not bother with protection because they did not believe that they were genetically compatible enough to conceive. Apparently Merlin knew that they were and did nothing to warn them.