One day as Barbara was doing laundry, she stumbles across Draal in her basement. At first she is terrified, but then she ends up finding out more than she bargained for about what Jim does behind her back.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Aerosol Flamethrower: Barbara improvises one when defending her home against Rust Trolls.
- Behind Every Great Man: Angor Rot implies that Stricklers emotional attachment to Barbra and the control this gives her works as a better weapon to use against him than the magical link between them.
- Combat Sadomasochist: Downplayed. When Barbara interrogates Strickler about his plans in the Janus Order, she uses the magical bond he placed upon them by bumping her elbow whenever she hears something she doesn't like. She even threatens to severely cripple herself (taking him along with her) if he does anything to seriously hurt her son. Even Draal thinks she's overdoing it a little by that point despite being impressed by her quick thinking.
- Everyone Can See It: Even as inattentive as Barbara can be, even she knows about Jim's crush on Claire.
- Living with the Villain: With a target painted on his back by the Janus Order, Strickler is unable to stay at his home. Because he is still magically bonded with Barbara, keeping his distance is a poor option and he has to stay with the Lake family with no choice in the matter.
- Menstrual Menace: Played for Laughs in Chapter 9.Draal sheepishly came to sit by them and gave a small huff before looking directly at the changeling. "I am sorry I told Jim about that elixir.
"Im not," Barbara said quickly. She shook her head. "It forced an issue that might have otherwise gone unaddressed. It wasn't a very fair way to go about it but I'm satisfied with the results." Walter grunted from his seat beside her and she gave a light flick to his ear.
"Be that as it may, I am sorry it hurt you," the man said with a grimace, remembering how much pain the magic had caused him.
"Honestly, I've had menstruation cramps that were worse."
Walt's eyes widened comically, "You have got to be joking."
"I guess you'll find out in about a week, wont you?" She cackled at his look of comprehension and panic.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Strickler flat-out admits that everything he does is for his own self-interest and is not bound by any type of loyalty to Gunmar like the rest of his kind.
- Spared by the Adaptation: With Barbaras convincing, Strickler ends up giving the Inferna Copula to Angor Rot in exchange for him leaving Arcadia without killing any of them. Because of this, his motivations to kill Jim and Strickler are non-existent and he leaves peacefully before he could die like he did in-canon.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: While Strickler is staying with them, Jim is prone to making jabs at the changeling and vice-versa.
- Took a Level in Kindness: In the case of Strickler and Angor Rot. When Barbara learns the full story behind Angor Rot and the Inferna Copula, she has Strickler begrudgingly return the ring to Angor in exchange for him leaving the Trollhunter, his friends and his family alone. While confused at first, Angor agrees, offering Barbra the option to sever the magical link between her and Strickler should she ever need it and the Kill Stone as a sign of solidarity to Jim.
- Truth Serums: In order to see if he could be trusted, Jim spiked Stricklers food with a truth potion. He interrogates Strickler, causing him to give an Anguished Declaration of Love before he notices, becoming violently sick trying to keep himself from confessing his more violent history.
- We Will Meet Again: Angor says as much to Jim after giving him the Kill Stone.