After the Darklands, something shifts inside Jim. It makes its presence well known after his visit to the Deep.
The fanfic can be found on Fanfiction.net.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Acquired Poison Immunity: Because Jim was born with his "human guise", the gaggletack did not force him to transform into either form.
- Cute Monster: Despite the circumstances that Jim is in, his new troll-form is non-threatening looking all things considered. At worst he is Ugly Cute, his basic humanoid physiology compared to Nomura with features and mannerisms compared to that of cats and deer.
- Foreshadowing: When Jim is battling the troll-like apparition of himself in "Mistrial and Error", the apparition tells him that he will be "just like [him]."
- He Who Fights Monsters: Due to the various forms of troll-magic he has been exposed to (like his time in the Deep and Gunmar's magic blade), Jim eventually turns into a new breed of changeling.
- Mistaken for Spies: With the various differences in Jims behavior, Toby impulsively throws a gaggletack at Jim to be sure that he wasnt secretly replaced with a changeling while they did not notice. When it proves that he really is Jim, Toby awkwardly tries to claim that it was an accident.
- Movie Superheroes Wear Black: Jims changeling form is apparently made of obsidian - a black, naturally occurring volcanic glass.
- Pet the Dog: Almost literally. Jim seems to like the sensation of being petted (despite how embarrassing he might find it).
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Jim exhibits a few traits of this due to his experiences in the Darklands and the Deep, including paranoia of the apparition he encountered in the Deep and hallucinating shadows that stalk him. Rule of Symbolism can interpret Jim's transformation into a changeling as a metaphor for how much his trollhunting experiences have changed him more so than Claire and Toby.
- Shout-Out: Jim's changeling form bares mild resemblance to the titular character from Mune: Guardian of the Moon. While the author claims that this was unintentional, they do acknowledge the similarities.
- That Came Out Wrong: When his friends ask him if he is or was ever a changeling, Jim responds "I didnt think about it. Maybe I am." Brief accusations ensue.
- Virus Victim Symptoms: Of the "Not Himself"/"Changes in Appearance" kind. The first signs that Jims physiology has changed is explained in Chapter 2: mild insomnia (complete with bags under his eyes), unconsciously walking in a different way, light sensitivity, his eyes glow at certain angles and an unusually polymorphic shadow.