The Akane no Mai franchise is established by Kanius (Who is the author of Digimon Fusion Kai, YuYuGiDigiMoon, and Shin Yu Yu Gi Digi Moon), crossovering Persona 5 and Code Vein, with elements of Nioh and Kakegurui.
It was originally conceptualized by Allfather-Ford with Persona Vein, that started off as a six-chapter (including an Intermission) OVA fanfic. Over time, it grew to be more compelling for both Kanius and Allfather-Ford with exploring new concepts and the characters within. After the author completed the story, he officially passed over to Kanius by starting off with an official sequel with Allfather-Ford involved.
Unlike Kanius's past fanfics, this fan-continuity is envisioned more like a draft of a novel series, that although it has a few AU traits (Such as the Persona characters having romance couples while in canon they don't have, and that Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea is used instead of Tokyo Destinyland), this feels closer to an 'official canon' feel and not a full-out AU (Such as no AU backstories of the Phantom Thieves). Because of this, Kanius has the chance to hone more of his novel writing skills early, while the author is currently writing his debut novel.
The series also focuses on two perspective characters: Hifumi Togo and the author's take on the Code Vein male protagonist. Both are drawn to these new urban adventures while receiving development to themselves and the world in general.
Akane no Mai Updates
Urban Legend Updates
As of October 27, 2020, Chapter 30 has been posted.
Also cross-posted on AO3: Chapter 30
There are unmarked spoilers in the trope pages.
The Main Stories (Early Draft)Persona Vein - The first entry of the series. A Revenant is thrown to the present timeline by an unknown force. Within his existence; this causes the resurgence of the Phantom Thieves, Yokai and Japanese folklore, the monsters from the Revenant's world, and two young women involved in an enthralling mystery. Trope page.
Urban Legends - The sequel of Persona Vein. "It's coming. It's here." Said the female Revenant. A man with no memories and a Shogi woman meet again. Thieves and Revenants cross paths. Fates intertwine when dark entities manipulate and tweak the timeline. Mysteries of the dark entities will be unraveled. Trope page.
The Main Stories (Final Draft/Revision)Akane no Mai - The consolidated story and definitive edition of both Persona Vein and Urban Legends with many new changes. The prologue chapter has been uploaded on the same day Persona 5 Royal's western release. The story will pick up with Chapter 1 onward in mid-April 2020. While Persona Vein and Urban Legends are early drafts, Akane no Mai is planned to be the revised/final draft and the real, official version of the complete story. It will consist of three books, with Persona Vein being 'Book I' and Urban Legends split into the latter two books. The three arcs will each have different titles.
Book I is called Fellowship Forged by Code.
Supplementary MaterialPV-18 Timeline - The early draft timeline of the series.
Voice References - Voices of the characters.
Pokémon Teams (PV-18) (Pre-Gen VIII) - Characters' Pokémon teams.
Pokémon Teams (Akane-no-Mai) (Gen VIII onward) - Characters' Pokémon teams of Gen VIII onward.
Wulf-Edda Voice References - Voices of the Wulf-Edda characters.
Wulf-Edda Pokémon Teams - Wulf-Edda Characters' Pokémon teams.
Reclaiming the Guilty Crown - A Guilty Crown perspective story of Urban Legends final three chapters. Ouma Shu has gone missing. After forming a new organization, Shinomiya Ayase, Funeral Parlor, and other world heroes cross over into a new reality. This reality is a world occupied by Phantom Thieves and Revenants. An anomalous force spawned from humanity's darkness wreaks havoc, prompting Ayase and her team to find Shu and stop this dark avatar.
Non-Canon MaterialAkane no Kingdom Nintendo - A trio of video game characters from another reality fall into another: the world of the Phantom Thieves. This is a fanfic collaboration between Ford1114 and KingdomKey23. This is a non-canon crossover one-shot of our Akane no Mai series and KingdomKey23's Kingdom Hearts: The Nintendo Version Remixed fic.
The franchise provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Ann, Makoto, and Haru continue the trend; with Hifumi, Mia, Io, Yumeko, and Mary joining. Futaba also become this after receiving the passive abilities of her Persona's Ascendancy.
- Bloodier and Gorier: Taken up to eleven from Persona 5. Since there are no Shadows the heroes fight, there are a lot of bloody deaths, such as the monsters' deaths are being torn apart in graphic detail.
- Character Development: As per taken, there are experiences being developed now that the Phantom Thieves are young adults in the real world.
- Darker and Edgier: Having the Phantom Thieves as adults, they explore events of encountering physical beings that are not cognitions. The involvement of Japanese mythos and Revenants of the alternate future expand their worldly view of human society. The main antagonist of Persona Vein is portrayed as a complex character rather than the twisted adults the Thieves previously fought.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Persona Vein is an OVA fic written by Ford1114, while the Intermission chapter is written by Kanius (For his first try of handling these characters). The sequel and subsequent works are to be written by Kanius.
- Even the early draft (Persona Vein and Urban Legends) comes off like this since they don't include the events of Persona 5 Royal and Scramble, alongside the completed Code Vein storyline. Sophia as Hifumi's goddess form was written before the actual Sophia is introduced in Scramble. The early draft has Sion's signature sword named the Regicide Blade taken from Code Vein's early developments, while the final draft is named the Queenslayer Blade from Code Vein proper in the game's official release.
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink: We have the Personas based on various mythologies and public domain figures. Vampires and related-monsters from the alternate future. The Japanese historical figures, Guardian Spirits, and Yokai. All blend into a modern society, oh and let's not forget the involvement of gamblers originated from an infamous high school.
- I'm Going to Disney World: Yes, this is the first time that the settings of Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea are used instead of Destinyland like in game canon and various Persona 5 fanfics. This blends more to the characters' adaption to a real-life setting. Likewise, they also mention and went to Universal Studios Japan.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: Kakegurui is the only one of the four franchises that is an Anime/Manga (While Persona 5, Code Vein, and Nioh are originated as video games), and that the characters are not actual fighters in their canon stories. Them bonding with the Guardian Spirits of Nioh serves to make up their involvement with the protagonists for their guest appearances.
- Nioh is the only one that has realistic character designs unlike the other three franchises with anime character designs.
- Mega Crossover: Of Persona 5, Code Vein, Nioh and Kakegurui. However, it downplayed this trope as it mainly focuses on Persona 5 and Code Vein.
- Our Vampires Are Different: The lore of the Revenants from Code Vein are involved with the modern times of the Phantom Thieves and related characters.
- Urban Fantasy: This is obviously one of the main themes of the series, with the Phantom Thieves are heard as urban legends in contemporary Japan since the end of Persona 5.
- Youkai: The Yokai of the Nioh lore are involved in the series that the characters encounter.