It was originally conceptualized by Ford1114 with Persona Vein, that started off as a six-chapter (including an Intermission) OVA fanfic. Overtime, it grew to be more compelling for both Kanius and Ford1114 with exploring new concepts and the characters within. After the author completed the story, he officially passed over to Kanius by starting off with an official sequel with Ford1114 involved.
Unlike Kanius's past fanfics, this fan-continuity is envisioned more like a draft of a novel series, that although it has a few AU traits (Such as the Persona characters having romance couples while in canon they don't have, and that Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea is use instead of Tokyo Destinyland), this feels more close to an 'official canon' feel. Because of this, Kanius has the chance to hone more of his novel writing skills early, while the author is currently writing his debut novel.
The series also focuses on two perspective characters: Hifumi Togo and the author's take on the Code Vein male protagonist. Both are drawn to these new urban adventures, while receiving development to themselves and the world in general.
As of July 15th, 2019, Chapter 11 has been posted.
Also cross-posted on AO3: Chapter 11
There are unmarked spoilers in the trope pages.
The Main Stories (Early Draft)Persona Vein - The first entry of the series. A Revenant is thrown to the present timeline by an unknown force. Within his existence; this causes the resurgence of the Phantom Thieves, Yokai and Japanese folklore, the monsters from the Revenant's world, and two young women involved in an enthralling mystery. Trope page.
Urban Legends - The sequel of Persona Vein. "It's coming. It's here." Said the female Revenant. A man with no memories and a Shogi woman meet again. Thieves and Revenants cross paths. Fates intertwine when dark entities manipulate and tweak the timeline. Mysteries of the dark entities will be unraveled. Trope page.
The Main Stories (Revision)Akane no Mai (Upcoming) - A future consolidated story and definitive edition of both Persona Vein and Urban Legends with many new changes. Will be finalized once Persona 5 Royal will be release. While Persona Vein and Urban Legends feel like early drafts, Akane no Mai is planned to be the revise/final draft and the real version of the complete story. Plans are having a trilogy, with Urban Legends split into two halves, and the three arcs will have different titles.
Supplementary MaterialPV-18 Timeline - The official timeline of the series.
Voice References - Voices of the characters.
Pokémon Teams (PV-18) (Pre-Gen VIII) - Characters' Pokémon teams.
Non-Canon MaterialAkane no Kingdom Nintendo - A trio of video game characters from another reality fall into another: the world of the Phantom Thieves. This is a fanfic collaboration between Ford1114 and KingdomKey23. This is a non-canon crossover one-shot of our Akane no Mai series and KingdomKey23's Kingdom Hearts: The Nintendo Version Remixed fic.
The franchise provide examples of:
- Action Girl: Ann, Makoto, and Haru continue the trend; with Hifumi, Mia, Io, Yumeko, and Mary joining. Futaba also become this after receiving the passive abilities of her Persona's Ascendancy.
- Bloodier and Gorier: Taken up to eleven from Persona 5. Since there are no Shadows the heroes fight, there are a lot of bloody deaths, such as the monsters' deaths are being torn apart in graphic detail.
- Character Development: As per taken, there are experiences being developed now that the Phantom Thieves are young adults in the real world.
- Darker and Edgier: Having the Phantom Thieves as adults, they explore events of encountering physical beings that are not cognitions. The involvement of Japanese mythos and Revenants of the alternate future expand their worldly view of human society. The main antagonist of Persona Vein is portrayed as a complex character rather than the twisted adults the Thieves previously fought.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Persona Vein is an OVA fic written by Ford1114, while the Intermission chapter is written by Kanius (For his first try of handling these characters). The sequel and subsequent works are to be written by Kanius.
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink: We have the Personas based on various mythologies and public domain figures. Vampires and related-monsters from the alternate future. The Japanese historical figures, Guardian Spirits, and Yokai. All blend in to a modern society, oh and let's not forget the involvement of gamblers originated from an infamous high school.
- I'm Going to Disney World: Yes, this is the first time that the settings of Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea are used instead of Destinyland like in game canon and various Persona 5 fanfics. This blends more to the characters' adaption to a real-life setting. Likewise, they also mention and went to Universal Studios Japan.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: Kakegurui is the only one of the four franchises that is an Anime/Manga (While Persona 5, Code Vein, and Nioh are originated as video games), and that the characters are not actual fighters in their canon stories. Them bonding with the Guardian Spirits of Nioh serves to make up their involvement with the protagonists for their guest appearances.
- Mega Crossover: Of Persona 5, Code Vein, Nioh and Kakegurui. However, it downplayed this trope as it mainly focuses on Persona 5 and Code Vein.
- Our Vampires Are Different: The lore of the Revenants from Code Vein are involve with the modern times of the Phantom Thieves and related characters.
- Urban Fantasy: This is obviously one of the main themes of the series, with the Phantom Thieves are heard as urban legends in contemporary Japan since the end of Persona 5.
- Youkai: The Yokai of the Nioh lore are involved in the series that the characters encounter.