Cibus Esculentus Madoka Magica is an alternate version of the events of Puella Magi Madoka Magica. In this version of things, magical girls become big and fat as part of their contracts, and fight flesh-eating monstrosities known as Esurientes.
There is also a spinoff fic titled Starcrossed Sisters, to account for Kyoko's backstory.
If anyone's interested, the author also has a deviantArt gallery of the main characters as they'd appear in the fic.
And, for those of you into interactive stories, he has also carved a niche out on Writing.com for people to start their own stories based on the original fanfic:
See also Plump Magi Madoka Magica, a similar interactive story about magical girls and weight gain.
This work provides examples of:
- Adaptation Distillation: Four main chapters to the original anime's twelve episodes.
- Adaptation Explanation Extrication: Homura and Kyoko come off as nothing but arrogant when the former seeks to protect Madoka without the others' help and the latter fights for territory. The person that Economy (formerly McKnight) commissioned skipped over a lot of details (such as most of Sayaka's interactions with Kyousuke) assuming them redundant. However, the reason Homura originally shunned everyone's help except Kyoko's was because they brushed her off when she tried to warn them about their fates to turn into Witches and then broke down after having to kill Sayaka's Witch form. As for Kyoko, Grief Seeds which could only be obtained from Witches, were the sole reason Puellae Magi fought for territory in the first place. Both issues should be moot due to a lack of Soul Gems, Grief Seeds, and Witches; Cibi don't wield Soul Gems, because instead of succumbing to despair and becoming Witches, their purpose is to get eaten by Esurientes after keeping their numbers down for a bit, in order to help them reproduce by spawning. This trope was exactly one of two reasons why the author formerly sought to reboot the story (the other, more importantly, to write it in his own words for reasons explained here), before being talked out of that and commissioning for another fic to cover for it.
- Alien Blood: Esurientes bleed a rancid white.
- Anyone Can Die: To be expected, given a Cibus's true purpose.
- Author Appeal: The whole premise is fetish-driven.
- Balloon Belly: One of the more tasteful examples (as pointed out by its first reviewer), but it takes only seconds for Kyubey to ruin a girl's figure for his own purposes.
- Bears Are Bad News: The first Esuriens to appear in the fic resembles a bear, but with no fur and only a mouth where its head should be.
- Bittersweet Ending: Homura is eaten up, and thus has no more chances to save Madoka. However, as per Madoka's wish, the long-protected secret of the relation between Cibi, Esurientes, and Incubators will now become public knowledge. Won't be enough to put an end to Kyubey's game, though.
- Bolivian Army Ending: Oriko, Kirika, and the Pleiades Saints against the horde of Esurientes that just ate Madoka and Homura.
- Combat Tentacles: Some Esurientes have these to catch prey with.
- Cute Kitten: Madoka comes across one on her way to school, and tries to save it while being approached by an Esuriens for the very first time.
- Eaten Alive: The fate of all Cibi.
- Eldritch Abomination: Esurientes, creatures whom humans with excessive negative energy turn into. They maintain barriers to remain invisible to most ordinary people, and need to eat a lot in order to reproduce (which they then to by bursting into spawn).
- Fat Camp: Junko offers to send Madoka to one of these in Kazamino. This is just one of multiple things that drives her to flee to Asunaro.
- Fat Girl: All Cibi.
- Heavy Voice: Madoka's is described as different from before after she becomes a Cibus.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Each chapter is named after meal courses.
- Mythology Gag: Homura's thoughts as she gets eaten are part of the wiki's translation of what she says in the PSP game if she becomes Homulilly.
- No Body Left Behind: Esurientes disappear in a flash of light after being killed, even taking any blood they've lost with them.
- Not His Sled: Homura is devoured after witnessing the same become of Madoka, negating any chance of going back in time to start over.
- The Runaway: Madoka flees Mitakihara in despair during chapter 4.
- Senseless Sacrifice: Kyoko, in an attempt to save Sayaka at the end of chapter 3.
- Stout Strength: As Mami explains, the change in body type is meant (at least initially) to increase muscle mass and make Cibi stronger against Esurientes.
- To Serve Man: Particularly Cibi, although Word of God states that those living outside of cities do feast on animals as well (due to higher availability), at least whenever there are no Cibi around instead.
- The Stinger: Hitomi, meet Kyubey!
- Weight Woe: Sayaka tries to lose weight in order to perform better as a Cibus. As Kyubey points out when she asks, her new build is permanent, and fighting isn't the only reason why she needs so much surface area.