Congratulations! We are delighted to inform you that you have been selected by Hopes Peak Academy to join the graduating class of 2088! Your outstanding talents have been duly noted by our recruitment offices.
This year, Hopes Peak Academy has partnered up with a new board of benefactors. What this means for you is better technology, more funding for research, more luxury, and overall a more scholarly efficient atmosphere.
We genuinely hope you, the student, are able to use this wonderful grant from our benefactors to maximize your potential. Here at Hopes Peak Academy, part of our mission is to help students break limits and shoot for the stars. We urge you to take full advantage of our new resources and we anticipate seeing how our students may fully use all we have to offer!
We request that you arrive a week earlier than the semester begins; we have scheduled an opportunity for our benefactors to meet you before classes begin. If you have any further questions, an e-mail should be arriving shortly that will hopefully answer all of your inquiries. If this e-mail still does not provide you with the information you seek, we will happily work with you one-on-one to discuss your concerns.
The Hopes Peak Academy Recruitment Team
Looking up from the brochure you received with your acceptance letter, it appears as if Hope's Peak has got a number of new buildings under construction since the photo was taken. What kind of money could these 'benefactors' even have? Well, it looks like youll get the chance to find out soon!
The plane ride, paid for entirely by Hope's Peak Academy, was relatively long, and lasted overnight. As you drift off to sleep, you begin fantasizing of the wonderful new things you'll get to accomplish; or, perhaps, the success and fame of graduating from Hope's Peak.
When you wake, you find yourself in a large mansion. Leaving your room, you see your classmates are present as well; what exactly is going on here? Slowly, everyone begins noticing letters taped to their doors: upon each envelope, neatly written in cursive, lies the phrase:
ANTE is a forum-based roleplay group based off of the Danganronpa franchise, taking place in a mysterious mansion lead by the Head Count and Head Maid. Its a game of life and death, and who may have the strength to survive?
ANTE contains examples of:
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Averted with Desdemona though she has black hair and is an elite paranormalist, shes actually pretty open and conversational.
- Antiquated Linguistics: Wataru sounds much, much more formal than most of his classmates.
- Bi the Way: Desdemona is confirmed to be pansexual, but primarily attracted to girls.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Zeycan acts perfectly nice to Yuri when they first meet, but her thoughts indicate otherwise. Still, she wants people to like her, so she hides the Bitch.
- Brutal Honesty: Hitomi isn't afraid to speak her mind about a person's eyes, or Azumi's meal choice in the prologue.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: The Chapter One costumes. Wearing a silly Halloween costume doesn't sound so bad at first...until the students actually get the costumes, and learn that Kurimu won't let them take the costumes off. The costumes can hinder movement, overheat, and/or even produce light and sound. And that isn't even the motive for the week!
- Cool Car: Hanae's vehicle WASP is a highly advanced car, coming with all sorts of cool stuff including its iconic paintjob.
- Cute Bruiser: Hanae is not a trained fighter, and pretty tiny, but she's still ready to throw down.
- Girlish Pigtails: In more casual outfits, Hanae sports a set of smaller pigtails while leaving most of her hair open.
- Here There Were Dragons: Desdemona claims that her horns are symbolic of her draconic genetics, and that she is one of the last few with dragon DNA to exist in the modern world.
- Innocently Insensitive: Desdemona's dark humor tends to skirt the line, especially considering their presence in a murder game.Dessie: Pick your poison, darling but be forewarned that I can hold my arsenic! Kyahahahahaha!...was that in poor taste? It was a joke, haha.
- I See Dead People: Desdemona has allegedly interacted with ghosts, demons, and all other sorts of ethereal monstrosities in the past.
- Justified Criminal: Part of Akihiko's motivation for continuing his street art, despite having police on his tail, was to continue profiting off the ad revenue from his blog. It's not always easy to pay the bills.
- The Mafia: Absolon doesn't even hide the fact that he is the head of the French mafia group known as the "Royal Family". Usually he just tells everyone he is.
- Manipulative Bastard: Any of Absolom's prior classmates can attest to the fact he is infamous for always getting what he wants. Toying with people and getting what he wants is his job after all, it's not surprising he uses it everyday.
- Momma's Boy: Akihiko doesn't think there's anything wrong with appreciating the women who raised him.
- Nice Guy: Even when he hasn't met the other students yet, Evan generally has a good attitude towards them.
- No Sense of Personal Space: During Hitomi's impromptu eye examination with Yuri, her face is very close to Yuri's, and she actually puts her hands and thumbs on Yuri's face.
- Oblivious to Love: Akihiro appears to often have trouble distinguishing friendly behaviors from flirty behavior - at least when its directed towards him. During Prologue and Chapter One, hes completely oblivious to how Yuri becomes flustered around him. He also assumed Ryoutas flirting was just him being nice - even though he ended up reciprocating.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Its doubtful that "Lady Desdemona" is her real name, but no one knows her as anything different.
- Rapunzel Hair:
- Absolon has flowing black hair all the way down to his waist.
- Not as egregious as other examples, but Desdemona's thick black hair does reach her hips while curled.
- Power Trio: Delinquents tend to stick together, and that's how Akihiko ended up with his two best friends. He's the youngest of the trio by two years, but often acts as the decision maker of their friend group. They come in the Nice, Mean, and In-Between variation of this trope, with Akihiko being the 'nice guy'.
- Proud Beauty: Hanae is very aware of her own cuteness, and not unlikely to let other people know she knows as well.
- Purple Prose: Desdemona litters her speech with analogies, elegant synonyms, and other unusual means of speaking.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Beautiful!: Hanae's philosophy. Being cute may not mean you didn't break the law repeatedly, but it should really make people think about being so mean about it.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: Desdemona apparently keeps a wide array of emergency cleansing equipment in her bra and corset, such as sage sticks and salt packets. Shes really dedicated to her aesthetic.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Hanako never even made a single post before he died.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair:
- Akihiko started dying his hair a deep blue after his legal troubles were dealt with. He likes it because his black roots are a little harder to spot when they start coming in.
- Hanae's hair is dyed green from a boring brown.
- As it turns out, Seiya dyes their hair teal because it's their favorite color.
- You No Take Candle: Ae-Sook's Japanese isn't as fluent as everyone else's.