In 1995, the company was acquired by Softkey, which then changed its name to "The Learning Company." Mattel then bought it in 1999. This proved to be a financial disaster for Mattel, which subsequently sold it off at a huge loss.
Games published by The Learning Company include:
- Carmen Sandiego (after acquiring Brøderbund Software; Carmen games that were originally released under the Brøderbund banner are not counted here)
- The ClueFinders
- The ClueFinders 3rd Grade Adventures: The Mystery of Mathra
- The ClueFinders 4th Grade Adventures: The Puzzle of the Pyramid
- The ClueFinders 5th Grade Adventures: The Secret of the Living Volcano
- The ClueFinders 6th Grade Adventures: The Empire of the Plant People
- The ClueFinders Math Adventures Ages 9–12: Mystery in the Himalayas
- The ClueFinders Reading Adventures Ages 9–12: Mystery of the Missing Amulet
- Mega Munchers Deluxe (after acquiring MECC)
- The Oregon Trail (after acquiring MECC)
- Reader Rabbit
- Robot Odyssey
- Super Solvers
- Licensed games based on Scooby-Doo, Arthur, The Powerpuff Girls, Caillou, Zoboomafoo, and SpongeBob SquarePants.