The game was followed by a sequel called Alto's Odyssey which trades the mountain setting for a sandy desert.
Tropes present in this game:
- Bottomless Pits: Chasms. Lots of chasms. Fall into one and it's game over. Tupa on the other hand can survive a fall once per run giving you a second chance.
- Double Jump: Felipe the llama has this ability, allowing you to go through new heights that other characters can't reach. It also makes backflipping easier.
- Everything's Better with Llamas: The central theme of the game. Your character's goal is to catch as many llamas as possible.
- You can free Llamas from their pens, and one of the playable characters (Felipe) is a Llama.
- Fragile Speedster: Maya can make backflips quickly, but her boosts don't last as long.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Izel. All the items in the workshop, including her rocket-powered snowboard are all created by her.
- Have a Nice Death: More like "Have a Nice Crash". Taking into the footsteps of Temple Run, there are also some messages upon game over:"Ouch! Crash landing!""Watch out for that rock/campfire!""Almost there!""Better luck next time!""Respect your elders!"
- Odyseey on the other hand also provides useful tips on how to avoid a certain crash.
- Implausible Boarding Skills: The Sandboard upgrade in Odyssey allows you to climb up walls.
- In-Universe Game Clock: The game can change from day to night. Seeing the sunset or sunrise gives you a bonus.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: Alto himself. He lacks any special abilities, but also any disadvantages.
- Master of All: Tupa has all the abilities he possesses from the characters you previously unlocked. He has... Maya's fast backflips, Paz's long boosts, Izel's rocket-powered boosts and Felipe's Double Jump. Not to mention, he can survive a chasm fall for one run.
- Mighty Glacier:
- Paz takes longer to backflip, but his boosts last longer.
- Downplayed for Izel, who has the same time to perform backflips as Alto, but landing will give her serious speed boost thanks to her rocket-powered snowboard.
- Recycled In Space: Alto's Odyssey is Alto's Adventure IN A DESERT!
- Video Game Flight: The Wingsuit upgrade allows you to fly for a short distance after you've completed enough tricks.