A painfully shy second-year student who cannot act naturally around guys. While she does want to eventually have a boyfriend, her fears always gets the better of her and makes it difficult for her to talk with guys.
She asks Kai to date her as a test of courage when Shuuko suggests it. The two start dating and Himari becomes torn over their relationship actually being nothing but a sham on her side.
- Curtains Match the Windows: She has blonde hair and yellowish eyes.
- Does Not Like Men: Her main problem. She has exaggerated, terrible views on what guys do or act like and can't relax around them. Being with Kai does help her to get better at it.
- Hopeless with Tech: Type 2. She isn't entirely sure what all her phone can do and she's not very good at texting. Her messages are often full of typos and difficult to decipher.
- Love Confession: Her confession to Kai starts off the series.
- Love Epiphany: It takes her a while, but after worrying that another girl may have confessed to Kai and sorting out her thoughts, she realizes it.
- Rapunzel Hair: It reaches down to the small of her back.
- Shrinking Violet: She isn't too outgoing to begin with, but can barely do anything in the presence of a guy.
Himari's friend who came up with the idea of testing her courage around guys by confessing to one. She often reads a lot of magazines and seems to be a (magazine-informed) expert on all things about love.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She's quite stubborn and can easily terrify someone to get her way.
- Girlish Pigtails: Her hair is usually tied in some variation of low pigtails.
- I Call It "Vera": Has a body pillow 'boyfriend' she calls Ken-kun.
- My God, What Have I Done?: When Otogi confronts her about knowing that the whole confession was just a test, Shuuko admits that she feels terrible about it and that it was her idea that set the whole thing up.
- Shipper with an Agenda: She certainly ships Kai and Himari together, but her motive was always to make Himari open up around guys. She does begin to care more about just having them be a happy couple, when she sees how Himari looks happy.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Shuuko looks so much like her mother, it's easy to mistake the two.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Always wears a Grade B with her school uniform.
Another friend of Himari's who is actually against the idea of Himari dating a guy. Mostly because she thinks any guy wouldn't be good enough for her and take Himari away from Yae.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She's one towards Himari; Yae wanted Himari to drop Kai instantly because she figured it wouldn't do her any good, anyway. After meeting Kai, she does tone it down a lot, though.
- Important Haircut: She cuts her uneven hair shorter during the summer. She says it's because of the heat, though Shuuko and Himari wonder if it's akin to shaving her head as a way to repent for her mean thoughts towards Kai.
- Meganekko: Oval-shaped glasses.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: She wore men's clothes to act as Kai once, to help Himari loosen up a bit around him. Stopped it minutes after, because the lack of glasses made it difficult to see.
A first-year highschool student who got suddenly confessed to before school. He agreed to date Himari, having actually had his eye on her since he picked up her dropped mascot keyring.
Since he's just as nervous about dating as Himari, he gets his two friends to give him a lot of tips.
- Love Confession: He told Himari that he likes her, shortly after they start dating.
- Nice Guy: He's a perfectly sweet and considerate guy.
- Oblivious to Love: He's a little slow when it comes to love regarding other people. Case in point, it took him a bit to make the connection when Himari asks if Hinozaki has a girlfriend.
A friend of Kai's. Already having a girlfriend of his own, he knows some first-hand experience about dating and often gives Kai some tips on how to advance his relationship with Himari.
- Embarrassing Nickname: His girlfriend calls him Kan-chan, which he finds embarrassing if anyone but her uses it.
- Oral Fixation: He generally has some kind of candy or treat in his mouth; often a lollipop or a Potty stick.
- Secret Keeper: Otogi overhears Himari and her friends at MsDonald's, talking about how the whole love confession thing was a test of courage. When he confronts Shuuko about his knowledge, he does promise to not spill the beans to Kai.
- Thinks Like a Romance Novel: Given his reaction to some of Hinozaki's scenarios of 'super romantic gestures', Otogi has done this for his girlfriend. Like giving her a single rose for her birthday, then having a whole bouquet delivered to her.
Kai's other friend who only knows romance from fictional sources. He's a pretty easygoing, yet hyper guy and wants Kai's relationship with Himari to go well. Though he also teases him over it, because he doesn't have a girlfriend of his own.
- Genki Guy: It's pretty rare to see him calm.
- Hidden Depths: He's actually very good at reading people's body language and is quite dependable when he focuses.
- Late for School: Hinozaki mentions having done the whole toast-in-mouth routine while running to school one day, but that he unfortunately didn't meet any cute girls.
- Sudden Name Change: His first name was initially given as Harutomo but was later corrected to Haruchika.
- Youthful Freckles: He has a bunch of them around his nose.