An office worker for a printer company. After being distant from his father since he was a child, he has sought to reconnect with him through Final Fantasy XIV. In-game, he plays as Maidy Maidy, a female Miqo'te Monk.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Akio's class of choice as Maidy is Pugilist/Monk.
- Cross Player: Akio's avatar is a female Miqo'te Monk.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Played With. In episode 2 Hirotaro walks in on Akio. Who is hiding his screen and holding a tissue. He's not really flogging the dolphin, he's playing FFXIV and the tissue was from him blowing his nose.
- Oblivious to Love: Yoko holds a flame for Akio. Too bad for her, he doesn't realize it.
Akio's father. Hirotaro was on the fast track to a successful career until he decided to quit his job one day for seemingly no reason. Akio introduces him to Final Fantasy XIV as his retirement gift, and he becomes enthralled with the game soon after. In-game, he plays as Indy Jones, a hyur Archer/Bard.
- Archer Archetype: Hirotaro plays Indy as an Archer/Bard.
- Comically Missing the Point: When Akio finally reveals that he is Hirotaro's son in-game, Hirotaro thinks Maidy is referring to someone else altogether...at least, at first.
- Descent into Addiction: The more Hirotaro plays FFXIV, the more addicted to it he becomes, eventually driving a wedge between him and his wife.
- Loophole Abuse: When Kimiko limits Hirotaro's playtime to an hour a day, he obliges the new rule. He logs in one day after the stroke of midnight, so he can use his one hour a day right after the end of his playtime the previous day.
- Named After Somebody Famous: At Akio's suggestion, Hirotaro names his avatar after a hero from movies: "Indy Jones".
- Parents as People: Hirotaro is somewhat alienated from his relations with his son Akio. In addition, his lack of open communications with his family in reasons for his resignment is what caused Akio to communicate with him secretly via Final Fantasy XIV.
- Soap Opera Disease: When Hirotaro revealed his illness, the audience is left to wonder what specific disease he was having. Though based on his increasigly inability to eat certain food, his brief stomach reaction, and his weight loss, it must be stomach related; most likely, it's cancer.
- Technologically Blind Elders: Hirotaro, at first. He eventually becomes an excellent player..
- Your Days Are Numbered: Hiotaro has been diagnosed with cancer and doesn't have much time to live. He then realized that he had to quit his job, which has been hard for him to live on as it was his entire life. Fortunately, his new time with his son and his friends provided him with purpose in life that he decided to have a surgery.
Akio's mother and Hirotaro's wife. Kimiko is a loving homemaker.
A female Lalafell White Mage, and one of Maidy's longtime guildmates in Final Fantasy XIV. Her real-life self is married to fellow guildmate, Yukki.
- A Day in the Limelight: The eighth episode post-series special revolves around Aru-chan's account in undergoing the Ceremony of Eternal Bonding event with Yukki.
- The Lancer: Aru is seen as Maidy's right-hand lady, and would help Maidy in keeping track on Indy.
- Real!Aru is usually the user tasked as the liaison between those who's interested in meeting the Real!Maidy. Including the Dad of Light publishers, and film crew. Her immense contribution towards the production team was probably how she was selected for the special episode encore.
- Long-Distance Relationship: Yukki left to work overseas shortly after marrying Aru in real-life, so the only way the two of them could spend time with each other was through FFXIV.
A bumbling female Lalafell Paladin and one of Maidy's guildmates in Final Fantasy XIV. According to Real!Maidy's blog, she's loves animes, mangas, and...browsing real-estate properties.
- Battlecry: She created a cute one for herself—"Nyo, Nyo, Pou~n!"
- Call to Adventure: Kirin-chan was the person who gave Maidy the idea of pulling his dad into their game to play and break ice.
- Kawaiiko: How she portrays herself using her avatar. More often than not, she'll go into borderline cukooness.
A female Lalafell Lancer controlled by a male user who also is the husband of Aru in real-life.
One of Akio's co-workers. She develops a crush on Akio over the course of the series...not that he notices.
Akio's co-worker and a senior employee at the company they work for. He is a big fan of baseball.