Yo-kai Watch Jam The Movie: Yo-kai Academy Y - Can a Cat be a Hero? is the sixth film in the Yo-kai Watch franchise. It came out in Japan on December 13, 2019.
The plot of the film involves humanized versions of various youkai going to school together. Jinpei Jiba, Sandayu Koma, Mera Raidou, Fubuki Himegawa, and several other characters go to Y Academy together. While there, various hijinks happen.
It received a continuation in the form of a TV Anime Series, titled Yo-kai Watch Jam - Yo-kai Academy Y: Close Encounters of the N Kind, on December 27th, and will also get a Video Game based around this continuity for PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch, titled Yo-kai Watch Jam: Yo-kai Academy Y – Waiwai Gakuen Seikatsu, set to release in Japan on August 13, 2020.
This film provides examples of:
- All-Ghouls School: Will be set in a school for Yo-kai.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: The yo-kai have all been turned into humans.
- Ascended Extra: Blizzaria (through Fubuki) and Blazion (through Mera) have been upgraded from amusing side-characters to main characters.
- Childhood Friends: According to their bios, Jiba and Koma have been friends since elementary.
- Henshin Hero: Anyone who uses the YSP watch will gain the ability to fuse with a specific Yo-Kai into a superhero. When Bakera fuses with Jinpei, for example, he turns into Kengou Benimaru.
- High School AU: Jibanyan, Komasan, and others are human and go to an academy together.
- Japanese Delinquents: Mera bio describes him as "the biggest bancho at Y Academy".
- Japanese School Club: Koma and his friends are a part of the youkai-related YSP Club at their school.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Kyubi Ryusuke is referred to as one of the prettiest boys in school in his bio. He has long white hair.
- Moe Anthropomorphism: Jibanyan and several of the others are cute school children.
- Shout-Out: Nayu Kuruhoshi is based on the recurring "Andromedako" characters in the music videos of NayutalieN/Nayutan Seijin, who wrote the theme song for the movie and the Jam television series.