The Day Naruto Became Hokage is a one-shot sidestory to Naruto written and drawn by the series' creator Masashi Kishimoto, released in the Zai no Sho guidebook in August of 2015. It was later adapted as an OVA released in July of 2016 alongside the Boruto: Naruto the Movie DVD, and again as part of Boruto: Naruto Next Generations' 18th episode.
It's the morning of Naruto's Hokage inauguration, but he is still asleep. Hinata asks Boruto and Himawari to go wake him, and when Himawari's "cutesy" way fails, Boruto jumps on him. At the breakfast table, Hinata says she will go pick up his cloak before the ceremony in case it's not finished. Naruto remembers when Kakashi's cloak was not finished in time. Hinata instructs Naruto to go to the venue with the kids quickly while she picks up the cloak.
Upon arriving and finding that Naruto has not arrived, Hinata rushes home. Naruto is ready to go but Boruto and Himawari fight over a stuffed panda that Himawari wants to bring with her but Boruto says it will embarrass him in front of the villagers. As they have a tug-of-war over it, the panda rips in half. Angry, Himawari awakens the Byakugan and attacks a terrified Boruto. Confused and alarmed, Naruto tries to stop the fight by saying they needed to stop it but is struck by Himawari's finger in the abdomen, and even causes Kurama to react painfully, and knocks Naruto unconscious.
At the ceremony, Sarada is in the audience with her mother and friends, and meets with Chōchō, who hopes the event will be over soon. Sarada silently wonders what's taking the Hokage so long to appear. Kakashi tells Shikamaru that they can't wait any longer and decide to have Konohamaru impersonate as Naruto. As the inauguration begins, Sakura voices her pride for Naruto achieving his dream while Iruka says Naruto will be facing some hard times ahead. At the Uzumaki residence, Hinata finds Naruto unconscious due to all of his chakra points being hit, which will leave him out cold for the rest of the day, and wonders who could have done such a thing. Boruto is hiding in a closet from his sister, who enters the room with a homicidal look in her eyes and asking if he is playing hide-and-seek with her. When it seems that Himawari has found him, Boruto lets out a fearful scream.
Tropes present in this work include:
- Beware the Nice Ones: Himawari is shown to be super cheerful and cutesy, but the moment Boruto accidentally breaks her beloved panda plushise, well...
- Butt-Monkey: Naruto starts the day with Boruto waking him up by jumping on his stomach, then Boruto and Himawari starts fighting, and when he tries to stop the fight Himawari knocks him out cold, making him miss the ceremony. Yup, despite being Naruto's big day, nothing went right for him.
- The Cameo: You can see many secondary characters (such as all of the Konoha 11 who doesn't have a line, such as Kiba, Shino, Tenten or Lee) during a couple crowd scenes.
- Creative Closing Credits: The credits shown pictures of the aftermath, such as:
- A drunk Naruto, Shikamaru, Rock Lee, Chōji, Kiba, Sai, and Shino arrive at the Uzumaki's house.
- Tsunade sitting in front of Jiraiya's Memorial, toasting with a cup of sake.
- Naruto standing in front of his face on the Hokage Rock, resembling the cover of volume 72.
- Naruto and Gaara preparing to take a picture, with Hinata and Temari standing next to them and Sakura standing next to Genzō.
- A joyful Himawari running towards her father, who shakes in fear. Meanwhile, Kurama runs out of the picture.
- Sasuke Uchiha traveling through Kaguya's sand dimension, with Sakura's flak jacket lying in the sand.
- A colored picture of the Uzumaki family, with part of the aforementioned picture of Naruto and Gaara in the lower right corner and, in the upper left corner, another picture of what appears to be Boruto and Himawari running towards the camera.
- Death Glare: Himawari shoots a terrifying one to Boruto, at the same time she activated her Byakugan.
- Enfant Terrible: Himawari becomes one after Boruto broke her plushie.
- Finger Poke of Doom: Himawari only needs one finger to take Naruto out of comission.
- Hit You So Hard, Your X Will Feel It!: Himawari hit Naruto so hard that even Kurama felt it.
- Single-Stroke Battle: Himawari defeats Naruto in one hit...with her finger!
- Tear-Apart Tug-of-War: Himawari insists on taking her favorite stuffed animal to her father's ceremony, but Boruto angrily protests that doing so will make the other villagers think she is too childish. They fight over the toy and accidentally tear it in half, causing Himawari to unlock her Byakugan and assault her brother in a trance-like fury.
- Verbal Tic: While posing as Naruto, Konohamaru has to emulate Naruto's (dattebayo) while at the same time supressing his own (kore).