Kaze No Tairiku / The Weathering Continent is a 1992 animated film animated by Production I.G (then known as I.G Tatsunoko) and was written and directed by Koichi Mashimo. It was released in the U.S. by Media Blasters
Living on a continent devastated by centuries of catastrophes; Boyce/Bois, Tieh/Teye, and Lakshi/Lakshmi are travelers heading towards Haelle Kine/Halle Kayne, where they hope to find water. After encountering a group of people who were recently murdered (quite gruesomly) and a survivor who dies due to fatigue and starvation (oh and we should add the two arrows in her stomach), they find themselves in the cursed Azec Sistra, a city built for the dead. Legends says that no one has ever left this city alive...
The original is a Japanese fantasy Light Novel series.
- Action Girl: Lakshi may count as one
- Alternative Foreign Theme Song: The American release by Media Blasters replaced the song closing song Kaze no Tairiku with original score music by Michiru Oshima. It still featured the song in a separate clean closing video as DVD extra.
- Award-Bait Song: The theme song Kaze no Tairiku by Yui Nishiwaki. And this song featured on the film's soundtrack.
- Badass Normal: Bois. Definitely Bois.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Tieh. Oh boy, how. The bandits mistake him for a her, and their leader even states he is "A Helen of Troy."
- Groin Attack: Lakshi manages to catch an attacking bandit in mid-air with a boot to the family jewels. Her unlucky victim hangs in the air for a fraction of a second before collapsing down the stairs.
- Important Haircut: Lakshi cuts off her long hair when she takes on the persona of a man.
- Scenery Porn: The movie has some stunning art direction.
- Spell My Name with an "S": well, there are always problems with the names...