Koongya Koongya is a 2006 South Korean animated series that aired in the network KBS in collaboration with CJ E&M's MMORPG divison.
Based on two Massively Multiplayer Online Games titled Koongya Adventure and Green Garden (Yaburi), the series is about a group of food-based waddling head-like creatures called Koongyas who struggled making their restaurant gain profit. The Koongyas promote healthy food to their customers and even the audience of the series audience. Not only it was set on the restaurant, the Koongyas also travel places helping allies and facing villains. Its opening theme Fly Away is performed by Korean boy band SS 501 and its ending theme Koongya likes Vegetables is performed by K-pop group Baby V.O.X.
The series is made up of 26 episodes and gained decent ratings at debut. It was noted by viewers for its humor and many shout outs to other works.
It was released in video, both in DVD and VHS.
Koongya Koongya provides examples of:
- An Ice Person: The Ice Queen, who appears in one of the episodes.
- The Anime of the Game: It's based on two MMORPGs.
- Animesque: It looks like an anime but it's actually made in South Korea.
- Anthropomorphic Food: The Koongyas are based on one kind of food.
- Christmas Episode: The 25th episode, which aired over a year after the series ended.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Many episodes have the characters face difficulties with each other, but in the finale, every main character except Onigiri Koongya (He becomes a janitor, whom he is unsatisfied with.) ended up having a satisfying career upon leaving from the restaurant, though Onion Koongya stayed and Bangye Koongya joins him.
- Fun Size: Dr. Park's robot, who looks like a toy version of mecha in Anime.
- Jerkass: Onion Koongya is very obnoxious in the show unlike his appearance in the online games.
- Mad Scientist: Dr. Park, a scientist who works at the restaurant.
- Medium Blending: Episode 6 has a moment where Onion Koongya is seen with an Entertainment Weekly reporter in live-action.
- Promoted to Love Interest: Bangye Koongya becomes this to Onion Koongya in the show in episode 8, while in the games they are just friends.
- Raiders of the Lost Parody: The movie Onion Koongya and Bangye Koongya watches in a movie theater is a parody of Indiana Jones.
- The episode "Tears of the Desert" also has several Indiana Jones references.
- Shout-Out: ** Dr. Park's robot is a reference to Robot Taekwon V.
- Trailers Always Spoil: In television after "Tears of the Desert" part one, the preview of part two spoils a majority of the climax and ending, including the villain's fate.