Digital Protector for creativity
Don't Copy That Floppy was when floppies were new
Now we copy much more than floppies could do
Don't Copy That 2 is the 2009 sequel to the advertisement called Don't Copy That Floppy. This time, it's about Jason, a freshman who copies films, games and apps and sells them for money, and Disk Protector (now renamed Digital Protector) sings about how the consequences that'll happen directly to the pirate.
This advertisement provides examples of:
- Adaptation Name Change: DP now stands for "Digital Protector", not "Disc Protector". Though he acts like he's always had that name.
- Artistic License Law: Downloading content from the Internet isn't punishable by a police squadron breaking into your home and hauling you off to jail, rather it's the piracy website operators who usually get punished and even they wouldn't get a squadron knocking at their door.
- All Just a Dream: Jason was only dreaming he went to jail. Or Was It a Dream?, since he then sees Digital Protector on the TV in jail, then he sees himself in jail back on the monitor. It's not really explained.
- Cool Shades: Digital Protector now wears them to go with his Nice Hat.
- Darker and Edgier: The music gives off a more oppressive feeling, the message goes from how piracy affects the game industry to how it affects YOU, and Jason ends up going to jail and getting abused by his jailmates (even if it was just a dream).
- Digital Piracy Is Evil: Still the main message, though now it's more how you'll go to jail for being a pirate.
- Meaningful Rename: Disk Protector is now Digital Protector since piracy isn't really about disks anymore.
- Misplaced Retribution: Usually when it comes to online piracy, it's the pirate website operators and media distributors who get charged and prosecuted, not the individuals who merely downloaded the media from them.
- Numbered Sequel: Has a "2" in its title to denote it as a sequel to Don't Copy That Floppy.
- Revenge: DP complains he's very pissed about being laughed at as a joke back in the first "Don't Copy" video nearly 20 years ago, so he's making this sequel as a means of vengeance.
- Skewed Priorities: Applied to the SWAT Team. They have better things to do like catch domestic terrorists, mass shooters, serial killers, kidnappers, human traffickers, drug black markets, prostitution rings, and yet they send a whole squadron on tracking down online pirates! Misuse of a computer is apparently more important to Digital Protector than misuse of a firearm, rope, knife, lethal chemicals, drugs, etc.
- Took a Level in Jerkass:
- DP is still the idiotic Sad Clown who makes wild, unreliable claims about digital piracy, only this time he's angrier and more of a dick.
- In the first "Don't Copy!" video, DP simply pressured Corey to consider spending money on computer games he enjoys to compensate the teams of programmers who worked hard to make them. DP didn't tell Corey that he should sit in jail, nor did he threaten to rat him out. Here? He outright gloats to (another) teenage boy who gets thrown in prison he'll have to be careful not to Droppy the Soapy.