Okay, stupid real life is now taken care of. Time to trope.
@3711 I actually addressed Monster.Disgaea
in @3577 - remove the spoiler tags around Aurum, take it to the video game page by itself, and cut the rest of the examples. Though the last line should be removed, as demons get disgusted by things like "kindness" frequently in the games; it's trying to invoke Even Evil Has Standards
and doing so poorly.
@3713 Thanks. To hit those
@3674: Actually, from what I can tell, Tywin wasn't
discussed before. Others were compared to him (to show others were less evil), but I don't see him having been discussed in this thread.
Upon review of his qualifications... hmm, I note he has a listing under Pragmatic Villainy
. It's only a precious few that can qualify for both Complete Monster
and that trope - the two often clash as to how to approach a given situation. Also, is it really any less of a rape if the woman was tricked (and doesn't realize it) into having sex that she otherwise wouldn't have wanted? I argue it is not, but that's getting into a hardcore feminist discussion on rape and culture, and I'm not the best person to handle that discussion from either side.
Instead, I think I'll just note that several places describe Tywin as frustrated with much crueller relatives, so he doesn't qualify as the most evil in his series. He's overshadowed in heinousness, and thus should be cut.
@3677 Hmm... a bit loopy, and I can practically taste the Continuity Lockout
. I'm fine with cutting everyone but Teridax.
@3689 I think I need confirmation that the Pet the Dog
episode was subject to a Retcon
that rendered it non-canonical.
@3690 A few to hit:
- Saddam Hussein of South Park: Cut for the reasons cited.
- Sheila Broslovski of the same: Cut; almost doesn't cut it, plus she was a Well-Intentioned Extremist in the film.
- Lord Zedd of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: Cut; he was toned down later on, and was quite capable of genuine love, as shown in the trope Unholy Matrimony.
- Alphabet Soup of Power Rangers: Cut, no groups.
- Doubletone of same: I need more info to judge.
- Nighloks of same: Cut, no groups.
- Rubeus of Sailor Moon: Cut; not as heinous as the villains out to destroy the whole world. Also, the Wiseman entry strongly suggests that he was tricked into being evil.
- Wiseman of same: Keep.
- Chaos: Inclined to cut; more like a personification of sadness than actually evil.
@3696 I will note that for video game examples, it's best to compare what we have to the sandbox. For example, we've already voted to cut the Shroobs entirely. I agree with the other groups suggested for cutting. For B.B. Hood/Bulleta, I discussed her back in @1763 - voted to cut her then (and she's been removed from Sandbox.Video Game Monsters
@3703 I'm not allowed to say "Cut because I thought the game was terribly written and done." That aside, I will note that Zeus has a whole host of positive tropes attached to him (and the character page for God of War
even notes how he was basically trying to defend the world from what Kratos was doing). I wouldn't go so far as to call him a Hero Antagonist
, but he seems to be disqualified for having redeemable aspects. Ares... actually, I'm kind of blanking at what he actually does
. Can someone give a reason for him to stay?
@3705 That does admittedly sound fairly basic; I agree with a cut.
@3708 Good with those rewrites.
edited 10th Oct '12 9:04:17 AM by 32_Footsteps