- Beanie Babies: As 3rd Rock from the Sun made sure to parody.
- Blaze Union: If you want to import the game, it's 60 USD. Then there's the 30 USD soundtrack, the 20 USD guide, and the upcoming artbook, which will probably cost around the same. That adds up to $130. If you want Pamela (and the rest of the canon story), you also need Yggdra Union, which is another 30 USD to import, and its merchandise (soundtrack and artbook/guide), which adds up to another 30 USD each. Your total is $220 by now. Gaiden Game Yggdra Unison, which stars a lot of Blaze Union's cast, is yet another 50 USD to import, and then there's its merchandise (guide, soundtrack, drama CD). Oh right, and you're going to want the series sourcebook if you want to know the details of Nessiah's backstory. After that, there's the rest of the series. Yikes.
- Dawn Of The Dragons: Some long-time players feel this way about the game, which makes you pay money to get the best items, armor and legions if you want a shot at dealing more damage in World Raids or leveling faster.
- Disney Theme Parks: Beyond the expenses one would normally expect for a theme park/resort vacation, the Disney parks feature a notorious amount of specialized, often collectible merchandise (hence the Foxtrot joke about Souvenir Land at the expy Fun-Fun Universe) and "experiences" (i.e., princess makeovers, character dining, behind-the-scenes tours) that cost even more.
- Donald Duck: Don's (almost) complete filmography of animated shorts is available through The Chronological Donald sets on the Walt Disney Treasures. You can easily snatch the four volumes via Amazon, if you have 307 bucks or so laying around. If you live outside of the US, prepare to add shipping costs to your paycheck...
- Relax, only two 60's shorts are missing from them.
- That's almost laughably cheap compared to The Collected Works of Carl Barks, and that is if you can find them at all. Just a year ago in Denmark, only one box ammounted to 200 euros...There are 10 boxes. Plus 13 more euros for postage, for each box.
- Fantagraphics Books is doing its own domestic reprint series of Barks' stories that promises to be significantly cheaper.
- .hack: Be prepared to fork over ALOT of money if you want to get heavily involved in this series
- Dot Hack GU: Each game is ridiculously short, full priced, and you need all three of them for it to make sense.
- Durarara!!: The 8-episode DVDs are going for 80 bucks each.
- Luckily, it's down to about $40 each. All together, that's almost five times as much as any standard TV season set. So it's better, but it's not great.
- Busou Shinki: Both in and out universe: In the lore, a Shinki costs about the same as a high-end computer, while the figures, due to a combination of eccentric production pattern, the lack of overseas licensing, and with the airing of an OVA and anime without any figures to back it up, they can cost a small fortune. The more popular ones (Arnval, Altines, Altlene and Strarf) costs up to 300 USD in Japan, that is if one manage to find it at the first place.
- American Girls Collection (A reference to the trope in the So Cool, It's Awesome entry describing its aversion)
- Counting Cars: Once again, Danny's personal collection includes more than fifty cars. He regularly makes offers exceeding what he could expect to see in return for cars he's interested in personally.
edited 25th Jun '13 8:09:02 PM by MikuruFan
edited 28th Jun '13 6:29:58 AM by Morgenthaler
edited 1st Jul '13 7:22:47 PM by MagBas
edited 4th Jul '13 1:23:59 PM by MagBas
edited 7th Jul '13 1:43:20 AM by Catbert
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: At least in Western Animation, ever since Disney and its imitators ran the trope into the ground during the Golden Age. Still played straight in Japan to this day, though.
- This trope is not as discredited in Western Animation these days as it was in Golden Age western animation though.
edited 7th Jul '13 1:56:05 AM by MikuruFan
edited 7th Jul '13 2:10:19 AM by Catbert
edited 7th Jul '13 2:19:10 AM by Catbert
edited 7th Jul '13 3:27:57 AM by Catbert
edited 7th Jul '13 4:38:27 AM by Catbert
Page Action: YMMV Banner 4
17th Aug '14 8:08:24 AM