Trope Description Improvement Drive:
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!. A paragraph starts explaining element X of the trope, then it wanders off to explain element Y. Two paragraphs after that we're back at element X again. Nary a conjunction is in sight.
- Too long. Stuff that should go in analysis, or maybe in another trope, or maybe nowhere, going in the main space. Too much scrolling required before you can get to the examples.
- Fan Myopia. Some "this is how it happens in WRESTLING!" dissertation is taking up half of the page on a trope about white t-shirts. We already have a thread on that one - discussion about the general phenomenon goes there, specific candidates to deal with go here.
- General lack of balance and order. Something is emphasized at the expense of the other aspects of the trope, even though it has no right to be. Consequences of the trope come first, then related tropes, then a mention of the Trope Codifier, then common scenarios where it comes into play...
- Failure to answer the fundamental question up front: What is this trope? Not what it "might" be or what can "possibly" happen - what is it?
- Not enough meat. Juicy stuff is missing, like: When is the trope likely to turn up? Why would an author use it? In what ways does the audience often react? Which tropes are related to it and how?
- Spelling and grammar issues.
- The first line which makes honest-to-god sense is below the fold. e.g. Example as a Thesis that makes you go "huh?" instead of "ooooh".
- Bad Writing. Purple Prose, pitching the trope, Wanton Cruelty to the Common Comma.
- Egregiously Fan-Myopic quote.
edited 22nd Sep '11 10:48:59 AM by TripleElation
edited 20th Sep '11 1:30:18 AM by Raso
edited 20th Sep '11 2:54:18 AM by Raso
edited 20th Sep '11 4:33:43 AM by TripleElation
edited 20th Sep '11 4:38:53 AM by Deboss
edited 20th Sep '11 4:54:08 AM by Raso
edited 20th Sep '11 5:56:20 AM by Stratadrake
edited 20th Sep '11 9:04:01 AM by 20LogRoot10
edited 20th Sep '11 9:02:58 AM by Discar
edited 21st Sep '11 12:16:28 PM by TripleElation
edited 21st Sep '11 7:40:52 PM by Raso