A Fan Webcomic
that is based on and shares the same name of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
drawn by Chilean artist Mauroz
The series takes place in an Alternate Universe
where all the characters are humans with Twilight beginning high school. One day, she receives a package from her archaeologist older sister Celeste which contains a tiara, a odd disc with five symbols and a note telling her to put the tiara on. She does so and meets the spirit of Celestia from the Equestria world. However Celestia explains her memories are fragmented and she doesn't know how she came to be in such a state. She does, however, remember certain prophecies about a individual who will cast the world into darkness. Followed by an even grim one of a being who will spread chaos across the land. The only thing that can stop them are the Elements of Harmony. However Twilight must find out who has the power to wield them and convince them to join her crusade. A task made more difficult by a person who calls herself Luna who will do all she can to stop the Elements from activating.
The comic is currently being hosted on Deviantart with volunteers helping to translate it to English once a new comic is released.
And before anyone wonders, no, it was not inspired by Equestria Girls
. The comic actually predates
that movie before it was even conceived.
You can start reading it from here.
Friendship is Magic has the following tropes:
- All There in the Manual: The artist posts designs of characters who have yet to appear on their account, like Trixie, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, Nightmare Moon, Chrysalis, King Sombra, Lyra and Bonbon, the Doctor...
- Alternate Universe
- Beat the Curse Out of Him: Applejack tries to do so to Rainbow Dash when the trinket Haze gave her starts amplifying her negativity to the point she becomes a mindless attacker. AJ doesn't fully do it just subdues her enough to rip the trinket off and destroy it.
- Berserk Button: For Dash, don't try and make friends with Fluttershy.
- For AJ, don't threaten Apple Bloom. And don't try to be her friend.
- Don't damage Steve Magnet's mustache. You might not live long enough to fix it.
- Big Bad: Luna
- Big Brother Mentor: What Soarin was to Rainbow Dash before she met Fluttershy.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Implied to be the case with Luna.
- Many of the monsters the group face due to the Discord jewels.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: A friendship version, but Dash is very protective of Fluttershy and refuses to let her talk with anyone, least of all Twilight's growing group since she thinks they'll take advantage of her (Dash mentions this happened before with some popular girls, who bullied her to the point where she was Driven to Suicide. And assumes this is the case because of Rarity's popularity). As you can imagine this becomes a problem when the group need Fluttershy to activate her Element and later sparking distrust in Dash.
- Cool Big Sis: The reincarnated Celestia is this for Twilight Sparkle.
- The Corruptible: Rainbow is targeted by Luna as the Element of Harmony she wishes to induce a Face-Heel Turn in, with growing success
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Luna. When Twilight tries to pretend that Fluttershy is just some random girl, Luna has the manticore attack her anyway, just to be safe. If it hadn't been for Pinkie Pie Taking the Bullet, she would have succeeded!
- Dark and Troubled Past: Something nasty happened to poor Applejack long ago. It might have something to do with the fact that we haven't seen hide nor hair of her brother and grandmother so far.
- Fluttershy. It's not wonder Dashie's so protective of her.
- Darker and Edgier: In some aspect to the original series it's based on, harm is much more likely to befall the characters, fights are a given with the protagonists having to engage in combat a lot more directly (i.e actually hitting their opponents with fists and feet), and death is a very real threat during the battles.
- Determinator: Rainbow Dash, quite naturally. When she and Applejack fight, Dashie just shrugs off her injuries.
- Driven to Suicide: As a child, Fluttershy was bullied so badly she tried to walk off a bridge. Only Rainbow Dash saved her.
- Elemental Powers:
- Fanservice: With the characters redesigned as high school magical girls, this is a given. The majority of it involves Pinkie Pie.
- Flashback: The second half of chapter 5 goes into detail on Dash's past and how Fluttershy and she met.
- Genki Girl: Pinkie, naturally.
- Groin Attack: Pinkie does this to a monster their fighting. She even knocks out the Discord jewel that was controlling it.
- Likewise Applejack to a one of the thugs attacking Spike and Fluttershy.
- Happily Adopted: Spike into Twilight's family.
- Happily Failed Suicide: Fluttershy was bullied so heavily she tried to end her life by walking off of a bridge, luckily Rainbow Dash was there to pull a Big Damn Heroes moment, pulling her back and talking her out of it, eventually becoming friends with her.
- Healing Hands: Fluttershy and Rarity, though Rarity does it by giving up some of her own energy.
- Hidden Depths: Rarity, who in this version is the Student Council president and and one of the "popular girls". However Twilight and Pinkie find out she helps out at a soup kitchen after school and she's not as shallow as she looks.
- Hypocritical Humor: In the first page, Dash rams right into Twilight and dismisses her complaints about it. She then get knocked over by Applejack and Dash of course complains about it.
- Ineffectual Loner: Applejack, due to a unknown event in which her trust in friendship was broken.
- Instant Expert: Pinkie manages to get a handle on her power very quickly much to Twilight's chagrin.
- Interrupted Suicide: Fluttershy once tried to kill herself before Rainbow saved her.
- Le Parkour: Rainbow's main hobby and aspiring profession as well as the practiced form in Wonderbolt Academy and the Shadowbolt team.
- Leroy Jenkins: Twilight's spirit advisor tells her that a river dragon is very sensitive about its river hair, so Twilight instantly slices off half of it's mustache. This naturally makes the dragon angrier, and earns Twilight a Dope Slap for her troubles.
- Magical Girl
- Mythology Gag: Plenty to the TV show such as Spike's baby outfit, Pinkie's "combat" outfit and even the Ruby Heart gets a mention.
- No Name Given: Twilight Sparkle's spirit advisor isn't given, but it's quite blatantly Lauren Faust's pony avatar.
- OC Stand In: The Shadowbolts are creations of the show but were one-shot characters that were created from Luna's power that didn't have any personality, only made to slow down the Mane 6. Here they're actually given names (Descent, Nightgale and Haze) and are more of a threat though Haze seems to have some ulterior motives.
- Passionate Sports Girl: Dash in this version not surprisingly.
- Past Life Memories: Zecora is implied to still have all her memories from Equestria
- Poor Communication Kills: The end of chapter 3.
- It's also implied that Luna is being manipulated through her fragmented memories.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: The Shadowbolts.
- Reincarnation Romance: Shining Armor and Princess Cadence are already together when the story starts, by Word of God.
- Spirit Advisor: Twilight gains one at one point, in the form of the Fausticorn, though due to her control of powers it's just a chibi-looking pony. Though she explains once Twilight gains more of a hold on her powers, she'll be much more impressive.
- Take a Third Option: While trying to convince Rarity about her element, a dragon is sent to attack the pair. During the fight one of its whiskers is cut short which sends it into a bit of rage. Rarity comes to realize they don't have to destroy it and instead fixes the whisker with her magic which is enough to get it to stop its rampage.
- Doubles as a Mythology Gag as this also happened in the series two part opener.
- Taking the Bullet: Pinkie does this to protect Fluttershy from one of Luna's monsters. She gets better.
- Yandere: Dash under Luna's influence.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Applejack's fighting style.