Webcomic / Heart Strings
Heartstrings is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Webcomic
that is made and posted on DeviantArt
by Tritebristle. It is a Romantic Comedy
starring Ensemble Darkponies
Lyra Heartstrings and Bon Bon with many other popular background ponies filling out the cast.
Much of the story is of the two bonding and falling in love as they help and support each other through their problems. In Bon Bonís case Lyra helps her break out of her grumpy solitary lifestyle and revive her fallen business with beautiful music. Lyra herself is an amnesiac whom Bon Bon has taken into her home. The two work together to help Lyra adjust to life in Ponyvillenote
and also cope with what memories are returning to her.
The first page of the series can be found here
and the rest can be accessed using links provided by the author. The series also has a tumblr
This Webcomic provides examples of the following tropes:
- Amnesiac Hero: Lyra starts out as an amnesiac with only a few vague memories that make her believe she was not originally a pony.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Beauty Brass, enjoying some stargazing with a little cuddling on the side, wishes that the night could last forever. She has no idea that Nightmare Moon is attempting to do just that.
- Beta Couple: Beauty Brass and Fiddlesticks form one.
- Chekhov's Skill: Twinkleshine tells Lyra that when somepony starts singing, everypony else feels compelled to join in. Lyra uses this to keep the panic from Nightmare Moon's appearance to a minimum.
- Crush Blush: Bon-Bon does this a lot.
- Cry into Chest: Done by both of the main characters.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Derpy as usual, but deconstructed. Her clumsiness is the result of a rare disease, and it makes it hard for her to hold a steady job and raise a daughter by herself.
- Deadpan Snarker: Bon Bon has this in spades as does Berry Punch.
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: Bon Bon very nearly got thrown into prison... for experimenting on animals. Lyra (implied to be from Earth) doesn't see what the big deal is.
- Don't Try This at Home: Disclaimer: Heartstrings comic does not endorse the use (nor the manufacturing) of non-prescription drugs, neither the collection of herbs in a dark forest where everything is trying to eat you for breakfast. Bon Bon is a trained professional with extensive training in alchemy (not to mention a talking cartoon horse). Please do not attempt at home.
- Elsewhere Comic: Comic follows the canon storyline so far, but from the perspective of background ponies with their own stories happening simultaneously.
- Four-Fingered Hands: the limbs Lyra can project have only four fingers, much to her confusion.
- According to Bon Bon no creature in Equestria naturally exists with more than four fingers, save those with rare birth defects.
- Funny Background Event: Berry Punch imitating Octavia in Bon-Bon's shop.
- Heart Symbol: Bon Bon has them whenever she stares at Lyra for too long. They're visible to the other characters.
- Hero of Another Story: The Mane Six.
- And "Time Tuner" apparently.
- I Have No Son: Octavia and Fiddlesticks' grandmother is very strict on who is deemed to be part of the family.
- I'm Standing Right Here:
Berry Punch: (To Bon Bon) Yes you are. Wait your turn.
- Insistent Terminology: Somewhat of a Running Gag as Lyra keeps getting corrected on her use of human pronouns.
Lyra: But donít worry, I wonít tell anybody! (About Bon Boní s illegal candies)
Bon Bon: Anypony.
Lyra: Yeah, them neither.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Bon Bon. The circumstances of her life have left her a bit jaded, but that doesn't stop her from helping Lyra re-adjust.
- Mad Alchemist: The "Mad" part is downplayed, but Bon Bon has a degree in alchemy, and uses her expertise to make a variety of medicines. Strictly speaking, this isn't entirely legal, but she doesn't let that stop her.
- Minor Major Character: Pinkie Pie from the show appears shortly before the end of chapter 4.
- Mirror Monologue: Berry Punch has one in one of the extras, trying to help her self confidence. It just makes her need a drink.
- Muggle Born of Mages: Bon Bon is an Earth Pony born from a family of unicorns. Her goal is to become a unicorn herself.
- Shipper on Deck: Dolphin Dreams.
Colgate: You see romances literally everywhere, DD.
- Seen It All: Nurse Redheart. She says outright that she's seen stranger things than someone being turned into a pony.
- Super Senses: Lyra notes that her nose is more sensitive as a pony.
- Town with a Dark Secret: Maybe but Lyra suddenly notices one day that there are more then one set of a specific pony in town. Including her and Bon Bon. She tries to chase a "Berry Punch" down only for it to warp away before she can question it.
- Trapped in Another World: The comic strongly hints that Lyra isn't from the Equestria world at all and somehow got transported there while looking for a mystical object.
- Unsound Effect: "Panicking Noises," "More Panicking Noises," "And Screams Too," "Doorbell Sound," "A Bit Less Scribbles"
- Why Couldn't You Be Different?: Bon Bon's whole family are unicorns, and she was raised and educated as one, too.