, Slice of Life
webcomic written and drawn by Kathy Garrison-Kellogg, wife of the author/artist of 21st Century Fox
. It began in July 2004 as basically a Fan Fic
of the latter comic but soon came into its own, with few signs of a futuristic setting.
Has absolutely NOTHING to do with the British Carry On
Read it here
. This site also hosts the author's other, completed webcomic projects, including The Legend of Anne Bunny
(a fictionalized retelling of the story of famous pirate Anne Bonney), Of Mouse and Moon
(Johann Maus travels to the moon for a job), and Pirates of Penumbra
(Johann Maus has an adventure with pirates while traveling through space, but it's all a dream
Tropes found in Carry On:
- Animal Stereotypes: Several examples of various species/breeds doing exactly what you'd expect them to be doing.
- Helen: A raccoon with OCD tendencies.
- The Deacon and the Preacher: A Great Pyrenees and a border collie who lead the flock of the Church of the Golden Fleece.
- Mr. Howe: A hammerhead shark lawyer.
- Arranged Marriage: Kathy has been promised to Lt. Frederik Kruger (not that one). Neither one is happy about it.
- Badass Grandma: Mama Fisi and Mama Penthesilea, Kathy's warlike grandmothers.
- Big Eater: Both Kathy and her sister can be seen pigging out to the point of becoming pear-shaped and complaining about being over-stuffed. Followed by asking what's for dinner in the last panel.
- Blue and Orange Morality: Seems to be the case for hyena tradition.
- The Cameo: Numerous examples. Most notable during the wedding arc in the comic's early years.
- Head-Tiltingly Kinky: The artwork Kathy and Sandy are looking at here.
- Hot Amazon / Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have: A reader reaction to Mama Fisi. (Mama Penthesilea may be too much of a Hot-Blooded Cyborg for that.)
- Ikea Erotica: Kathy is concerned about Louie falling victim to this trope because "...he needs a ruddy guidebook".
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: After Kathy proposes having Louie sleep in the only bed with her and Sandy, he needs to go check on dinner.
- Interspecies Romance: Two prominent ones. It's stated in-universe that these are sterile.
- Scooter Killdall (tiger) and a horse.
- Kathy's sister and her river otter husband.
- Bo the boa once proposed to Kathy and talked her into a couple dates (yes, in that order), but the attraction wasn't mutual.
- Japanese Ranguage: Kuchiku suffers from this dispite being of Chinese descent. A Language coach is unable to help her.
- The Medic: Kathy's sister, Sandy is an EMT.
- Proud Warrior Race Gal: Both grandmas.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: Bo isn't a rotten guy, but he sure leaves something to be desired as a date.
- Shout-Out: This page looks like it's lifted straight from the opening minutes of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- Shown Their Work: Kathy, as a hyena, suffers from the spotted hyena's slightly bizarre reproductive biology, bits and pieces of which have been shown and/or discussed. (The cartoonist has said that she learned a lot more about hyenas after starting the comic, and she would've done some things differently earlier on had she known.)
Tropes found in Legend of Anne Bunny:
Tropes found in Of Mouse and Moon:
Tropes found in Pirates of Penumbra:
- Space Pirates: Looks like the same crew that Anne Bunny fell in with in another comic series.