"I take great pleasure in soda consumption, pushing buttons, and running around various objects."Scott Ramage, better known as SCXCR (or SCR to his friends) is a YouTube reviewer and member of River City Gamers.He makes several series, including:
- MGP: Formerly "Multiple Gaming Personalities", where SCR reviewed games in the guise of several different personalities of himself. The concept was soon dropped for being too much trouble and the series was re-branded "Mr. Game Player", which were more basic reviews. Eventually turned into what is now known simply as "SC On...".
- Five Dollar Gaming: Reviews of games that are available for 5 dollars or less (usually bargain bin titles) which are graded on whether or not they're worth the money.
- Just Play Along Reviews: Reviews done in song form, composed and performed entirely by SCR himself.
- The Bloody Roar Retrospective: An in-depth look at one of his personal favorite franchises, talking about the characters, story, and gameplay in each separate game to show the series' rise to greatness and eventual fall into mediocrity.
- I Wanna Play: His take on Let's Play.
Games (and other materials) he had reviewed or discussed:
Multiple Gaming Personalities
Mr. Game Player (*: Done in three minutes)
Just Play Along
Five Dollar Gaming
- Zombie Panic in Wonderland
- Resident Evil: Survivor
- Life Line
Bloody Roar Retrospective
I Wanna Play (*: Unfinished)
Vlogs and Impressions
Check his work out on Youtube or Blip.tv, as well as his blog!
SCXCR provides examples of:
- All Just a Dream: The review of the Pagemaster SNES game.
- Awesome Mc Cool Name: Scott Ramage.
- Bait and Switch: Attempts this in the War Gods video where he tries to review Guitar Hero Rock The 80s for the PS2, only to be stopped and forced to review the title game.
- Berserk Button: Bloody Roar 4.
- A very minor one, but he seems to hate it whenever a fighting game has the typical Tournament story line just to explain why the characters would want to fight each other.
- Big "Shut Up!": In the Just Play Along Review for Malice.
- Also a running gag, where he uses a clip of "Weird Al" Yankovic saying it, often in response to cringe-worthy voice acting.
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: Mocked in his Bloody Roar review, as the translators apparently couldn't decide if the name of the game's Evil Inc. is spelled Tylon, Tyrone or variations thereupon."Hudson now translate for glory good great justice battery!"
- Brick Joke: On Santa Claus as Mr. Game Player, he opened up, talking about having a Christmas tree behind the camera. At the end of part five, said tree is seen in the background, with him lampshading it.
- Captain Obvious: SCR remarks on Ryo from Shenmue examining a key. Very slowly.Ryo: A key.SCR: A key.Ryo: This could be useful.SCR: No shit.
- Christmas Episode: MGP reviews Santa Claus.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: When taking a second to contemplate the connection between Apocalypse and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, his mind instead drifts towards pancakes and teleporters.
- Continuity Nod
"Yes, the cast of that game still haunts me."
- SCR carried over the stereotype counter from his older videos to his Urban Chaos review.
- After kicking the Urban Chaos cd case, he found that the disc was permanently damaged. He would then wear it as a necklace for Connecticon 2010.
- "Its like someone traveled back in time to make [James Bond Jr. for SNES], specifically so I wouldn't think Urban Chaos was so bad."
- While talking about voice actors in Resident Evil Survivor, he brought up that Vincent was voiced by the actor that did Riesling of Musashi Samurai Legend.
- SCR carried over the stereotype counter from his older videos to his Urban Chaos review.
- Credits Gag: At first, SCR quickly reviewed The Page Master in about ten seconds before going straight to credits."me am: superman."
- Creepypasta: SCR takes pleasure in reading some, to the point of posting videos of his readings.
- Crisis Crossover: Appeared in part two of Zeromaster's video review of Power Rangers Super Legends, along with his other friends to combat a great threat. Also, he become's the Green Mighty Morphin' Ranger for a short time!
- Curse Cut Short: At the end of the Heat Seeker review, when he finds he's been trapped inside the SNES Pagemaster game:"Motherfu—"
"What the fu—"
- And again in Resident Evil Survivor, when his own voice-over interrupts him mid-sentence:
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: What happened to Mr. Game Player, SCR's first (technically second if you count Multiple Gaming Personalities) persona that hasn't been seen since part five of his Shenmue review.
- Deadpan Snarker: Enters into this every now and then. Including Bloody Roar 3 where he talks about the air juggling. "Because that's fun, right?"
- Excuse Plot: Discussed in the War Gods review:"Remember the fighting game stereotype that story takes a back seat to... you know, everything? Well, if this were prison, then War Gods would be calling that stereotype 'daddy' and making him sandwiches."
- SCR has been quite vocal towards the back story of Bloody Roar 3 for what could be considered an excuse plot device.
- Explosive Instrumentation: He wonders whether the fact that Resident Evil Survivor has no CG cutscenes is due to Capcom's computers exploding.Spoony: "Bullshit!"
- Face Palm: Invoked in Musashi Samurai Legend.
- Fingerless Gloves: Wears them due to poor circulation in his hands. They look cool, too.
- Fun with Acronyms: Obviously, his online nickname is simply the initials of his real name.
- Gushing About Shows You Like: SCR was feeling down about hearing of Kristen Miller (the voice of Rio from Life Line) having appeared as a Dumb Blonde character in That's My Bush!. However, he is overly happy after hearing that she voiced Lisa from Team America: World Police. Cue him showing clips of Rio talking, ending with "FUCK YEAH!"
- Hey, It's That Voice!: He reacts negatively upon discovering that various voice actors in Musashi: Samurai Legend went on to do voices for Bloody Roar 4.
- It Is Pronounced Tro PAY: He criticizes the way Life Line interprets voice commands, especially at one part where he wants Rio to examine a coffee mug, and despite explicitly telling her to look at it, she get's confused, looks at other objects, and it took a while before she finally looks at it.
- It's Personal: The Pagemaster game ends up destroying his SNES. SCR has his revenge by ripping the connectors out of the game cartridge.
- Jump Scare: Parodied in his review of Cold Fear.
- And again at the end of Bloody Roar: The Fang.
- Let's Play: Has done a few under the name "I Wanna Play", including X-Men Legends, Rayman, Calling, and Jumping Flash!.
- Loads and Loads of Loading: SCR complained about Heat Seeker having long load times. He explains more about the game right before the load time ends... only to bring up another loading screen!
- Madness Mantra: "Don't you want it? Don't you want it?! Don't you want it?!"
- Mistaken for Special Guest: In SCR's Five Dollar Gaming of Cold Fear, he mistakes his good friend, Blonde Guy Gamer (aka: Jquelta), for Tom Hanson, the protagonist of Cold Fear.scxcr: Oh my god. Ladies and gentlemen, I can't believe this is happening, but... it's Tom Hanson. Tom Hanson the protagonist of Cold Fear is here to help me with this video!blondeguygamer: Wait, what? Dude, I'm not playing as a character or anything. It's just me. Blonde Guy Gamer.scxcr: ...blondeguygamer: We've... been friends for over three years?scxcr: ...blondeguygamer: You gave me Illbleed and I reviewed it?scxcr: ...scxcr: ...blondeguygamer: We did a collab review on Muramasa?scxcr: ......... *chuckles* Nice try, Tom, but you can't fool me.
- Averted in the end when Blondy actually dresses up as Tom Hanson...
- MST3king: Mr. Game Player on Santa Claus. Full force.
- Old Shame: SCR finishes a video, then nitpicks a lot of things days later about them.
- Orphaned Series: Used to have a habit of this back then.
- Back when he was doing Multiple Gaming Personalities, he had a vote on what games he would review next. He never followed up on any of them (except for Resident Evil: Survivor, but as himself a couple years later).
- He revealed that he would review Jet Grind Radio for the Dreamcast at the end of his Red Steel review. He has not followed up on that either.
- Subverted for Shenmue. The review series seemed to have been put on hold multiple times, til he finally decided to conclude it for good in Part 5. Any chance of continuing ceased entirely after MGP got hit by a car off-screen in a later video.
- Stupidity in Gaming seems to not have been followed up after attempting DDR with his hands on the pad.
- He never finished his Let's Play of Ju-On The Grudge on Wii. This is due to the game requiring you to meet specific requirements to unlock the final chapter. He posted the link to another video of said chapter instead. Can we blame him for this?
- His Let's Play on The Calling was also left unfinished due to losing all his gameplay footage. He opted to review it on his blog instead and summarized his Let's Play in the process. Saying he didn't like it would be an understatement.
- On that note, he has challenged himself to find a game less scarier than the calling. He has not had much luck with that though. Not even with Escape From Bug Island
- Podcast: SCR, along with his good friend, WellUnreal007, regularly host a podcast for River City Gamers, cycling out two of the members, sometimes with special guests taking over, for each one. Each gets completed and edited every other week.
- Running Gag: Several.
- His crush on Shina from Bloody Roar.
- The Stereotype Counter.
- Showing a clip of "Weird Al" Yankovic shouting "SHUT UP!!", often in response to cringe-worthy voice acting.
- Played with on some reviews, like the </Sarcasm> card on Musashi: Samurai Legend, and clips from Batman: The Animated Series on Cold Fear.
- He enjoyed employing the "I'm a clone" scene from MADtv, putting faces over the characters and tried to use them appropriately. Although he made sure not to reuse it for Bloody Roar: The Fang since a lot of the characters are expies of existing Bloody Roar characters.
- AK-KA-GOOOOOOOOO!!! whenever viewer questions pop up during the River City Gamers podcast. This is due to their fan and friend, Akago, always asking a viewer question once per podcast.
- Sarcasm Mode: Played with in Musashi: Samurai Legend by literally indicating when he's being sarcastic.
- Schedule Slip: Played straight according to this blog post. SCR initially had his own deadline to meet, but due to faulty recording equipment and personal matters, he was unable to finish part three of the Bloody Roar Retrospective at the time, forcing him to reconsider a new deadline."Not even the power going out for a week could prevent me from uploading this only a little under an hour after my deadline!"
- Shout-Out: To quote the man himself: "Where do I begin?"
"Quick! Activate the time drive!"
- In the Resident Evil: Survivor review, he uses the memetic clip of the host from Iron Chef shouting "BEEEEEEERR!!" when commenting that the zombies seem to be attracted to a truck marked "Ostrich Beer".
- He delivers a full-on rambling monologue a la The Ultimate Warrior while wearing the appropriate face paint in his Musashi: Samurai Legend review when he finds a "Warrior Ring" for sale in one of the game's stores. Also serves as a shout-out to Spoony's reviews of the Warrior comics.
- Lampshaded when throughout the review he makes references to several other wrestlers, and eventually comments "Why am I making so many wrestling references?"
- Frequently references Spoony, often by using short clips from his reviews.
- He reenacts the "They're Taking The Hobbits To Isengard!" Stupid Statement Dance Mix in his review of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.
- In the year 3000...
- His video "I will save this patient!" has him repairing his SNES in a manner meant to evoke the Trauma Center games.
- The War Gods review starts with SCR getting called out by "that ominous voice from the Gauntlet games".
- The commercials for Powerthirst get referenced in both his Guitar Hero III and Bloody Roar reviews, along with this birthday video he made for his RiverCityGamers partner-in-crime WellUnreal007.
- The Taco Bell Dorito Taco Review by Aaron Fink on his Cold Fear video.
- In his Bloody Roar Retrospective part 3 video, he used a sound clip from Retsupurae while invoking the We Are Experiencing Technical Difficulties gag, courtesy of Busuzima showing his ass.
- When he got half way into Bug Island, he calls the part of what happened the time drive! He lampshades this with a video clip from Chip's mystery LP on Big Rigs.
- Show, Don't Tell: Has mentioned this a few times when the material he covers breaks this rule. Lampshaded on Bloody Roar: The Fang."SHOWWW, Don't tell. I know I've said that way too much about story telling in general, but I keep saying it because it's one of the most commonly broken rules."
- Shower of Angst: Has one upon seeing Busuzima in Bloody Roar 2 look like he's about to molest Uriko.
- Shown Their Work: SCR gave credit to the writers for Bloody Roar for making a story centered around a scientific discovery that humanity is linked with a variety of different animals. Predominantly apes and monkeys, obviously, but also largely towards canine or dogs, which half the cast just so happen to have a beast form that is some variation or deviation from dogs.
- SCR did his best to translate the Bloody Roar manga for the retrospective and managed to summarize the story. He even goes on to explain how English is a screwed up language along with Japanese, mentioned that he studied Japanese for over a year, and speaks it fluently at times in the video.
- Side Bet: In SCR's Heat Seeker video, the cover of the Top Gun Anthem plays near the end of the video. As SCR tries to stop the music, WellUnreal007 called him out on using the music and told him to pay up.
- Smart People Wear Glasses
- Stuff Blowing Up: The Apocalypse review ends with, appropriately enough, one of Dr. R's inventions accidentally being teleported over to SCR's house and blowing it up.
- Stunned Silence: He's frozen into a state of horror and confusion upon seeing a US ad for Bloody Roar.
- Stupid Sexy Grox: Combines this with the Dat Ass face in response to the sub-boss from War Gods who appears to be wearing a G-string.
- Take That: He parodied a certain type of youtube people who blindly lash out at him just for giving a negative review on a game they like."FUCK YOU! You didn't like War Gods! I loved that game when I was a kid. You need to fucking die! I hope Exorr rips your dick off and shoves it in your eye!""Oh no, some guy on the internet doesn't like the same thing you like when you were a kid and you were too young to understand the difference between a good game and a bad game that you were filling in the blanks for to make it a good game. Whoop-di-friggin-doo, Nyyyyeeeeehhhhh. Are you done yet?"
- Tempting Fate: During the Fang, SCR showed the part where the female lead fell down, and was relieved to know that there is no panty shot. Later on, there is a panel of a boy flipping her skirt up, making SCR end the review early (as a gag, of course).
- Testosterone Poisoning: Reviewing Apocalypse causes him and WizWar100 to repeatedly fly into Adrenaline Overload and fire guns in random directions while screaming.
- The Cast Showoff: SCR's musical talents shine through on several occasions, primarily in his Just Play Along Reviews. He also starts the War Gods review strumming on his guitar, and ends the Bloody Roar 4 review with a heartfelt guitar solo of a song from Bloody Roar 3.
- Just Play Along is a series where he shows off his musical talents.
- The Cameo: Occasionally, a friend or friends of his may be mixed in with his review. Most of the time, there is a purpose for this, and sometimes it's just for gags
- WizWar100 shows up in his FDG on Apocalypse to go nuts during adrenaline phases. Dr.R ( WizWar100 's character) also shows up.
- BlondeGuyGamer made the most cameos, having played as Detective Blonde for Urban Chaos, and as himself, and eventually: Tom Hanson, in Cold Fear. Also collaborated with him to review Muramasa.
- WellUnreal007 showed up to get money from SCR for using the Top Gun anthem. Was ambushed with a spontaneous review of Helix for the Wii. Also see Podcast above. Has appeared in a couple of Let's Play videos too.
- Zeromaster appeared to help SCR somewhat with his Bloody Roar retrospective on the third game by helping with some gags and getting him off his butt to review the game (considering he had already reviewed it himself).
- Many others would show up. Went Up to Eleven at the end of part three of his Bloody Roar Retrospective.
- And in his Let's Play of Escape From Bug Island, he has each of his friends showing up in different parts.
- The Determinator: What can you say for a guy that drove 14 HOURS AND 20 MINUTES, ON A SINGLE DAY just to pick up a couple of friends from across Canada and made it to Connecticon 2010? For the past three years no less!
- The Unreveal: "So why isn't the sub-title on the cover of the game? I'll tell you why!" [beckons towards the camera, causing it to dramatically zoom in on him before giving a dramatic pause] "I don't know!" DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNN
- Unstoppable Rage: Double subverted in his review of Resident Evil: Survivor, where he admits that he's not good at pretending to be angry, and instead tries using all his creativity to come up with the perfect metaphor for the game's numerous plot holes. When all he can come up with is a pair of colliding trains, he flies into nerd rage anyway.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: At the end of War Gods, SCR picks up a piece of the ore, but dismissed it as a rock and throws it, accidentally hitting a window.
- Voice of the Legion: The Codemasters talking through the CD case of Heat Seeker."We are Codemasters, for we are many."
- What the Hell, Hero?: SCR opened up his review on Life Line by mentioning if the player had ever yelled at the tv screen for the characters not doing anything. Consequently, he has his moments where he does question the character's intelligence.
- He does this for a handful of different heroes of the games he review. Including Musashi who rescued the princess, takes her up on a tower, and considers jumping off the top!
- What the Hell, Player?: Made fun of and discussed in Life Line. SCR mentioned that if you say bad things about the game or the character, Rio will scoff off the player. However, if you say anything good about her or the game, she'll just tell you to be more serious. In other words: she mocks you if you hate the game, and she mocks you if you like the game.
- Why Did It Have To Be Halo Health?: Brought up in the Red Steel review.
- Wrestler in All of Us: SCR delivers an elbow drop to an off-screen victim during the Bloody Roar 2 review. Later during the same review, he also questions why Stun (who was a scientist before being turned into a half-insect monstrosity) would know wrestling moves.
- Youtube Poop: Occasionally does them, with Bloody Roar 4 being his favorite source material.