So, a goddess gets her head bitten off by the evil Dog God and is subsequently kicked out of the afterlife by Death, since a god can't die and she therefore has no business being there. So it's back to the land of the living for our heroine, who must enlist the aid of a giant sentient clock to settle the score with the Dog God. This, of course, involves collecting eight "logic keys" that are scattered around the game world.Despite originally being intended as a PlayStation title, it was retooled to be an Xbox launch game, and after a lengthy stay in Development Hell, it was finally released in 2004 on Xbox and PlayStation 2.Not to be confused with the book of the same name. Also has nothing to do with Malice Mizer.
Malice contains examples of the following:
- Bare Your Midriff
- Barred from the Afterlife: If you die you end up in a limbo stage where all you need to do is talk to the Grim Reaper who promptly sends the title character (a demigoddess) back to the living world (i.e. you restart the level you died on) simply because he doesn't want to deal with the complicated paperwork of processing a god.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: Oversized Cockroaches are a common type of enemy.
- Covers Always Lie: Some releases portrayed the title character looking a little different from her in-game model...
- Drop the Hammer: The player character's preferred method of solving her problems.
- Improbable Weapon User: Malice's most powerful weapon is a giant tuning fork.
- Our Gods Are Different
- Steam Punk: Some elements of the game have a notable clockwork and brass motif to them.
- Tech Demo Game: Innitially, the Xbox version of the game was used by Microsoft to showcase the bump mapping capabilities of the as-yet-unreleased console. By the time the game was actually released, bump mapping was rather commonplace in Xbox titles, leading to an overall "meh" reaction from critics and gamers alike.
- Vapor Ware: The game was widely regarded as this before it finally made its way onto store shelves.
- What Could Have Been: Gwen Stefani was at one point going to voice the title character, with No Doubt providing the soundtrack for the game.