Even in your flash game, F.O.E! ...Wait a minute...
A flash game series made by YouTube
user KingOfGETs, this stars the characters from the Touhou Project series, as the title indicates.
Despite the title, the first game is actually Cirno's Vengeance. There were three games in that series:
- Cirno's Vengeance
- Cirno's Vengeance 2
- Cirno's Vengeance EX
The last of them is a stand-alone version of the true end to Cirno's Vengeance 2. The plot of the series kicks off when Cirno challenges Alice to her (hilariously broken
) games she has created, in order to defeat Alice at long last. Naturally, Cirno being Cirno, epically fails all of her attempts.Cirno's Vengeance 2
kicks off where the first one left off. Cirno, now having turned Super Sayan for some reason, forces Alice to play through an 'impossible maze'. This time, Cirno manages to make this even worse, so naturally, you'll need to find your way through her 'castle' on a time limit, which isn't good.
And she appears to have obitained the Star Rod
. Of course, never underestimate Alice in her attempt to seek the strongest fairy in this dimension. Eventually, she is finally cornered, and Alice says 'double [expelitive VERY deleted for racial reasons]', gets Reimu to burn the ice fairy, and Cirno is destroyed!
...at least that's what Alice wishes to think, as we crescendo into the last part of the Cirno's Vengeance trilogy, Cirno's Vengeance EX
. Provided you find out you need to press a button as Alice says the line in the right corner of the dialogue box
, you won't get to her last form. If you do figure THAT out, Cirno pits you through a hell of a survival round. You'll need to dodge her dash attacks, snowflakes
, badly hitboxed laser beams
, a ZA WAURDO that doesn't even work
, and a poorly aimed nine-ball symbol, all in order to beat her. Then, Cirno tires out...and gets zapped by a laser, that happened to come from a sentient sword. Alice demands to know what happened to Cirno, only for this new enemy to escape and breathe another day.
Thus begins the series proper, with Alice flying through space, and trying to find this new threat and eradicate him.
is destroyed by Alice, but there is still the objective of finding Cirno. Alice in Spaceland 2 begins, as Alice searches for her. At the end of the final stage, Cirno is freed from her prison of, ironically enough, ice, since she shot a bottle of anti-freeze until it spilled all over her and froze her.
Then, after Cirno is freed, Eiki Shiki, the Judge of the Dead herself, appears and challenges the two. The thing is, Cirno has forgotten how to fire her bullets, so you will have to do double duty to ensure that she doesn't die along with you.
Mercifully, Cirno has at least as many lives as you do.
Once Eiki Shiki is defeated, she performs a Heel-Face Turn
and joins the group. However, between games, they must have stumbled across a new dimension, got a new ship somehow,
and thus they need to escape from it. This kicks off the third, and by far the hardest
, game in the series, Alice in Spaceland 3. New boss enemies are introduced, and old ones make a return. The trio finally faces Zio who apparently duplicated himself during the events of 2.
The three manage to take him down...only for him to resurface a little later in a different version of level 5. This time, they don't fight the two Zios. Instead, they fight his disciple, a ship called Mission. It's a hard and long battle, but they prevail yet again.
The next game in the series, Alice Xi, is basically a dimension hopping adventure, with Alice fighting plenty of creatures blocking her way to the dimension where Zio and Mission are held up in. Once she fights her way through the ten dimensions and blasts through the last one, she faces with Zio and Mission again, and emerges victorious. Did I mention that this game is the easiest of the lot? It's trying to figure out the password for the final dimension is what is hard.
Cirno Xi, yet another game in the series, has Cirno in the ship once again fighting the forces of evil and F.O.E. This game has seen the most updates, continually cranking out boss fight after boss fight, to the point it is basically a Boss Game. Nobody was sure whether this was the last game in the series...
...Until Master F.O.E and the F.O.E Five appeared. After that fight, the Spaceland Adventure arc begins. It basically continues the story, and the story seems to be taking a darker turn as of late.
His flash games (and the series as a whole) can be played here on Nonoba.
This flash game series provides some examples of... (and please don't be afraid to add examples as you see fit)
- Affably Evil: Cirno, of course. Seeing as she fails at being the villain, it's only justified.
- Bad Ass: Almost all of the main cast, but Cirno has been getting this treatment, seeing as she HAS defeated some pretty powerful entities, and even the creator himself.
- Big Bad: Zio, and later, alongside Mission. Or, so we originally thought.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Cirno, again.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: It turns out that Cirno was this during the events of the Cirno's Vengeance arc.
- Bonus Boss: You'll usually find these if you use a password on some of the games or do something out of the ordinary, like wait on the start-up screen for a while... (Only applies to the second and fifth games.)
- Boss Game: Both Alice Xi and Cirno Xi seem to have this, especially the latter, since most of the updates have been nothing but boss fights.
- Boss Rush: Damn near every game has a definitive Boss Rush in it. The newer games seem to be abandoning this, though.
- Bullet Hell: The game can certainly verge on this with little to no problem.
- Cerebus Syndrome: The first few games were pretty light-hearted and just a few serious moments. As of the end of Cirno Xi and the Spaceland Adventure arc, Alice had gotten kiddnapped, the real villain has revealed herself, and a character has actually died.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: In Cirno's Vengeance EX, the white snowflakes will give you points. On the other hand, you'll need to avoid the blue ones and a quick reaction time if you intend to survive Cirno's assault.
- Continuity Nod: In the last thirty seconds of the fight in Spaceland Adventure 2's Extra Mode, Renko and Maribel use moves that Cirno once fought with in Cirno's Vengeance EX. The dash moves, the laser beams, the blue snowflakes, even the Star Rod comes back into play when Renko uses it to summon Maribel's last dash attack with Ran and Chen and the final barrage of lasers before their final attack. Also could fall into Nostalgia Level.
- Cores and Turrets Boss: MC2.
- Demoted to Extra: Some of the main characters didn't show up for Alice Xi or Cirno Xi, though this has been getting averted lately, now that the characters are getting prominence in the Spaceland Adventure arc. Reimu, however, has been playing this straight.
- Disc One Final Boss: Turns out that Zio was merely the creation of the real Big Bad.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu??: Did you just defeat [[spoiler:'''the freaking creator of the series himself?!''']
- The Dragon: Mission to Zio. Well, both of them are puppets of the real Big Bad, so they are technically are both Dragons.
- Dual Boss: The end of Alice in Spaceland 3 has you fighting two Zios at once. Even though you can turn your ship now, don't expect the same trick from the first one to work as well. Also, Zio and Mission in Level +5 and Alice Xi. There are other examples, but these seem to stand out the most.
- Empathic Weapon: Zio. He's a big, neon light sword. Makes you think he's a Giant Space Flea from Nowhere when you first see him until you look at Cirno's Vengance and figure out that he's the fake Big Bad. He sure fills the bill for a sentient sword, though.
- Excuse Plot: Unless you look at Cirno's Vengance first, you won't realize why Alice is trying to fight Zio in the first Alice in Spaceland. Alice Xi seems to play this more straight. There's barely any dialogue from any of the characters, except for the Nonoba Admins and Mission. Other than that, it is simply Alice dimension hopping to find Zio and Mission.
- Final Boss: Each game in the series has had one in their normal modes.
- Cirno's Vengance: Cirno, duh.
- Alice in Spaceland: Zio.
- Alice in Spaceland 2: Eiki Shiki, Yamaxanadu. Though why she appeared as the last enemy you fight in Alice in Spaceland 2 is yet to be explained.
- Alice in Spaceland 3: Dual Zio.
- Alice in Spaceland 3 Level +5: Mission and Zio, first encounter.
- Alice Xi: Mission and Zio, final encounter
- Cirno Xi: Hina Kagiyama
- Spaceland Adventure: Goomba F.O.E.
- Spaceland Adventure 2: Havoc MK III.
- Fridge Brilliance: Why do some of the shapes in Dimension 2 of Alice Xi die in one hit, but some take more? Because their health depends on how many sides they have.
- Gratuitous Spanish: Cirno speaks in Spanish to a Z Satellite. It doesn't end well.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere:
- Some of the bosses certainly qualify for this position. Most of the bosses in Alice Xi seem to be this, and the final boss of Cirno Xi, Hina Kagiyama, is definitely this, since there is no lead up or hints to her prescence at all. Special mention goes to the final boss of Spaceland Adventure, who is just an F.O.E in the shape of a Goomba.
- Eiki Shiki at the end of Alice in Spaceland 2, since she appears right after the last stage for seemingly no reason at all, other than to prevent Alice from leaving with Cirno alive.
- Guide Dang It: Some of the things you have to do in order to get a secret boss or something can be rather difficult to figure out.
- Harder Than Hard: Lunatic Mode, naturally.
- Leitmotif: All of Zio's appeances save the first Alice in Spaceland and Alice Xi were backed by Marx's theme from Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Life Meter: Ezam in Spaceland Adventure 2's Hard Mode had the dubious honor of being the first boss in-series to have one (not counting Cirno Day). Renko Usami and Maribel Han at the end of the game have their own bars as well.
- The Man Behind the Man: Renko Usami, the other world version of Reimu. She is the one who brainwashed Cirno, created Zio, and piloted Mission. She has been leading the group through a wild goose chase, and only after the end of Cirno Xi does she finally reveal herself. At the end of Spaceland Adventure 2, she teams up with Maribel Han to fight Cirno and Eiki Shiki. She is the cause of all of the events happening in the series so far...yet she is visibly upset when she sees Maribel die after the fight with the two.
- Marathon Boss: Some of the bosses have ridiculously high health values, so this was bound to happen. This makes some of the fights pretty damn difficult, thanks to the fact that they may outlast your lives.
- More Dakka:
- Cirno summons a huge amount of snowflakes to kill you in the beginning of Cirno's Vengeance. They're all badly coded, so they don't hurt you at all.
- Renko and Maribel in the last six seconds of the Extra Mode fight in Spaceland Adventure 2 send out a huge bullet pattern that would probably give Hibachi a run for his money. Thankfully, before it can totally wreck your life count due to Cirno being a total dumbass, time runs out.
- Only Sane Woman: Alice, at the start of the series, though since the Cerebus Syndrome is kicking in, Alice isn't the only sane one anymore. Cirno actually has been making an effort to bring Alice back, even bringing down Renko Usami to prove a point.
- Plot Coupon: Fourth wall breaking ones at that. The letters you're collecting at the end of each dimension in Alice Xi will help Alice get to the last dimension. Yes, YOU are helping Alice in her mission to destroy Zio and Mission...by typing in a password.
- Recurring Boss: Kind of like Parodius in a sense, bosses seen in previous installments always seem to find some way into another game. The F.O.E Nazi seems to be the most prominent of these, appearing in almost every game since Alice in Spaceland 3.
- Sequel Difficulty Spike: Alice in Spaceland 3 is noticeably harder than the other games, though the same could be said for the previous installments.
- Suspicious Video Game Generosity: In Alice in Spaceland 3, you receive a ton of lives in Level 5, just before you fight the '5' satellite boss. Given how the previous levels were, and the fact that the challenging Final Boss is just around the corner, you're gonna need 'em.
- True Final Boss: Cirno's Final Assault in Cirno's Vengance EX, Master F.O.E and the F.O.E Five in Cirno Xi, Renko Usami and Maribel Han in Spaceland Adventure 2.
- The Very Definitely Final Dungeon: Dimension 11 in Alice Xi.
- Wham Episode:
- What Happened to the Mouse?: All three of the main characters in both Alice Xi (Cirno and Eiki Shiki) and Cirno Xi (Alice and Eiki Shiki), but mostly Eiki Shiki. Cirno is mostly in the spotlight post Alice Xi, but lately, that is being remedied. Reimu's the most guilty of this however, as she has only made an appearance in Cirno's Vengance, and hasn't appeared since then.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: What Renko does to the other F.O.E leaders right before The Reveal.
- You Will Not Evade Me: Zio ( both times you fight him) and McGillicutty.