Recap / Family Guy S 2 E 2 Holy Crap
Original air date
: September 30, 1999
Peter's Bible-thumping father, Francis, comes to visit, making Lois feel bad for being Protestant (since Francis is Catholic), Meg feel bad for having a crush on Joe's son, and Chris feel bad for pooping in the bathroom (which Francis mistakes for masturbating).
Tropes used in the episode:
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Francis thinks Chris masturbates a lot, Chris has been pooping.
- Badass Grandpa: Francis becomes a bodyguard for the Pope, even punching hard a FOX camera man.
- Bowdlerisation: On Channel 4's website in the UK, the title of the episode becomes "Holy Cr*p"
- When that same channel broadcasts the episode, they digitally erase the word "Whore" from the sign that Francis tacks on below the "Just Married" sign, so Francis' sign becomes "to a Protestant"
- Innocent Innuendo:
Diane: Tom, the city of Boston is examining its conscience tonight in preparation for a visit from the Pope.
Tom: That's right, Diane. I'll tell you what else will be examined: This cock. (pulls up a rooster) The Rhode Island Cock Society is sponsoring free check-ups for this year's Cock Awareness Week.
- Obnoxious In-Laws: Francis to Lois.
- Racist Grandpa: Not that Francis voiced anything against different races and ethnicities, but he has a low opinion of other religions and ways of life, like Peter's non-religious lifestyle and Lois's Protestantism.
- Sentimental Music Cue: Parodied; Peter has an orchestra on standby in case an emotional sitcom moment occurs.
- Slut-Shaming: At Lois and Peters' wedding, Francis tacked a sign reading "to a Protestant Whore" under the traditional "Just Married" sign.
- Years later, he tells Meg she'll go to hell for even holding Kevin Swanson's hand and tells Chris the same thing for supposedly masturbating.