Recap / Family Guy S 2 E 2 Holy Crap
Original air date
: September 30, 1999
Peter's Bible-thumping father, Francis, comes to visit, making Lois feel bad for being Protestant (since Francis is Catholic), Meg feel bad for having a crush on Joe's son, and Chris feel bad for pooping in the bathroom (which Francis mistakes for masturbating).
Tropes used in the episode:
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Parodied. Francis thinks Chris spends all his time in the bathroom masturbating, when he's really just... going to the bathroom.
- Badass Grandpa: Francis becomes a bodyguard for the Pope, even punching hard a FOX camera man.
- Bowdlerisation: On Channel 4's website in the UK, the title of the episode becomes "Holy Cr*p"
- When that same channel broadcasts the episode, they digitally erase the word "Whore" from the sign that Francis tacks on below the "Just Married" sign, so Francis' sign becomes "to a Protestant"
- Calling the Old Man Out: When Francis berates him at work, Peter stands up to him in a civil manner. His response is fire Peter.
- Comically Missing the Point: After hearing Francis' stories, Stewie becomes awed by God because he believes he's evil.
- Innocent Innuendo:
Diane: Tom, the city of Boston is examining its conscience tonight in preparation for a visit from the Pope.
Tom: That's right, Diane. I'll tell you what else will be examined: This cock. (pulls up a rooster) The Rhode Island Cock Society is sponsoring free check-ups for this year's Cock Awareness Week.
- Obnoxious In-Laws: Francis to Lois.
- Potty Emergency: Chris spends the entire episode not going to the bathroom after Francis assumes he spends all his time in the bathroom masturbating and tells him what he does in there is a sin.
- Racist Grandpa: Not that Francis voiced anything against different races and ethnicities, but he has a low opinion of other religions and ways of life, like Peter's non-religious lifestyle and Lois's Protestantism.
- Sentimental Music Cue: Parodied; Peter has an orchestra on standby in case an emotional sitcom moment occurs.
- Slut-Shaming: At Lois and Peters' wedding, Francis tacked a sign reading "to a Protestant Whore" under the traditional "Just Married" sign.
- Years later, he tells Meg she'll go to hell for even holding Kevin Swanson's hand and tells Chris the same thing for supposedly masturbating.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Francis, full-stop. No matter what Peter tries to do to bond with him, Francis disregards him. When Peter manages to get him a job at the toy factory, Francis thanks God while giving Peter the whip.
- Waxing Lyrical: Parodied after Francis walks out on a baseball game Peter invited him to.
Peter: All I did was ask him to buy me some peanuts and crackerjack.
- We Are Not Going Through That Again: At the end of the episode, after Peter manages to get Francis a job with the Pope, his mother shows up needing a place to crash. The Griffins' response is to jump into an Escape Pod and fly away.
- Workaholic: Francis. The episode starts with him getting forced into retirement, and he later leaves a ball game Peter took him too and breaks into a factory just to keep working. He's later shown to be hypercompetent enough to do Peter's entire day's work at the toy fact factory in seconds.