Creator / Jerry Seinfeld
So, what is the deal with
Jerry Seinfeld? Well, he's a stand-up comedian from Brooklyn, New York specializing in observational humor. He also co-created the long-running sitcom Seinfeld
with Larry David
, where he played a fictionalized version of himself. After Seinfeld
ended, he returned to stand-up and didn't act again, except for some cameo appearances and voicing the main character in the 2007 animated film Bee Movie
As of 2015, he hosts the web video series Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee
Tropes associated with Jerry Seinfeld:
- Cutaway Gag: Jerry features a few in his routine. For example:
- So, I'm in the bathroom at the airport. Now, I don't know who designs or makes these decisions, but why is it we can't have a normal twist-it-on, twist-it-off style faucet? Why do we have to have these spring-loaded, pain-in-the-ass, Alcatraz-style faucets? You know the ones I'm talking about? The ones where you go "Whoa, I got a little water there! Oh, just a few more drops!" Is is too risky to leave the public in charge? I mean, what is it they're afraid we'll do? Just turn 'em all on, run out into the parking lot, laughing, pushing each other into the bushes? "Come on! It's on! Let's go! I turned them all on full blast!" "You idiot! We're businessmen. We're gonna miss our plane." "Who cares? Water!" That's what they're afraid we'll do.
- What else is a date but a job interview that lasts all night? Although most job interviews don't end with the applicant naked. "Well, the boss thinks you're the man for the job. We just need you to strip naked and meet some of the people you'll be working with."
- I see the wanted posters at the post office. I turn around and look at the guy behind me. If it's not him, there's pretty much nothing I can do. (a little later) Maybe they should put the wanted posters on the postage stamps and have the postman look for them. He's got the uniform, he's walking around..."Ah, yes. Here's your mail, Mr. Jo...hey, wait just a second!"
- Deadpan Snarker: One of the best, especially on his eponymous show.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: Jerry makes a point of keeping swearing out of his routines, believing it to be too much of a crutch. Occasionally a "hell" or a "goddamn" will slip through, though.
- Sarcasm Mode: Apparently, Jerry doesn't have an off switch for this setting.
- Second Place Is for Losers: Jerry says that he would rather come in last than win the silver medal. He says that getting the silver is like saying "Congratulations, you almost won." in a race where first and second are less than a second apart. Additionally, they have to tell the story of how they almost won because people are going to want to hear the story.
- Signature Style: Jerry's obsession with life's minutia is legendary.