Yuria is a Model 100 Dutch Wife
(hence the title; 100-shiki
means "type 100") — essentially, a Sex Bot
. She escapes her inventor's lab (naked, of course). Shunsuke-san finds her on the street (still naked
) and offers to let her stay with him for a while. She's programmed for sex, while Shunsuke is blindly dedicated
to his ice-cold fiance
. Hilarity Ensues
Yuria, being a Dutch Wife, is programmed to have sex at any opportunity. Once she does have sex (specifically, if Tab A is inserted into Slot B
), she will be permanently and forever imprinted as a sex slave to the person with whom she has had sex. Problem is, she is a little more self-aware than her creator intended and is able to realize the consequences if she is imprinted, and starts to think maybe she doesn't really want that to happen. She questions her programming and eventually starts wondering if what she feels for Shunsuke is truly love, or if she is really just a preprogrammed robot
Each issue is more or less a filler
episode (a sexy
filler episode) where Hilarity Ensues
but sometimes veers back
towards Yuria's confusion about life and love. Even though she reaches her conclusion that she doesn't want to be a Dutch Wife within the first few pages ("Dutch Wife!? You mean I won't be protecting the Earth or anything?
") her emotional self-awareness as a person continues to grow, even though she inevitably winds up rationalizing
trying to have sex with Shunsuke.
Oh yeah, it's very ecchi
, just in case you haven't already figured that out, almost to the point of hentai
. Except that it isn't actually pornographic, what with all the not actually having sex happening on account of nobody wanting to sleep with the people who want to sleep with them.
Brought to you by Shigemitsu Harada - the same mangaka
who created My Balls
For the same basic story with a gender-swap, see Absolute Boyfriend
Compare with Chobits
This manga provides examples of the following:
- Accidental Misnaming: Lucy mispronounce Kunihiko's name as Cuninhiko, a play on "cunnilingus."
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Partially averted.
- Beach Episode: Chapter 13.
- Become a Real Boy / I Just Want to Be Normal: Yuria spends a lot of time and effort wondering if there is any way she can be like a normal girl.
- As an inversion, Julia spends time trying to talk Yuria around to seeing the advantages of being a robot.
- Black Comedy Rape and Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: It never quite gets to "rape," but what Yuria gets up to is more than just "seduction" - i.e. sexual assault and attempted rape.
- Shunsuke is pretty damn lucky he's a skilled wrestler... SUPLEX!!!
- Bland-Name Product: The "Intendo Bee"
- Bluffing the Murderer: Parodied when a bunch of little boys find a photo of a vagina, and manage to bluff Yurin's owner into staring at her crotch and revealing the location of this mysterious hole.
- Butt Monkey: Akiba. His creations keep walking out on him as soon as he can turn them on. He consistently fails to ever be able to do anything about it. He repeatedly shows up on TV reports for having been arrested, running around naked, chasing his creations. Because all his later models run away, he's constantly having to resort to carrying around his "Yuria Model 28" — a blow-up doll. (Which still frequently manages to reject him via some sort of malfunction or missing feature.)
- Catch Phrase: Lucy says "No Problem!" in English once or twice per chapter.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Yuria. Justified, since she's aware that she is a robot, she really doesn't know if she's in love with Shunsuke or if it's just her programming. For the same reason, she never quite gets around to telling him that she's a sex robot, and when she does manage to blurt it out, he thinks it's some kind of strange joke on her part.
- When Julia and Yurin decide to "help" Yuria confess, things don't exactly go as planned.
- Can't Have Sex, Ever: Yuria, if the alternative is to become a completely subservient sex slave (which is her intention). With all the sex play that ends up happening anyway, this is a pretty lax restriction. According to chapter 22, the exact requirement is three seconds of insertion.
- Shunsuke, because he's faithfully devoted to his emotionally distant, entirely chaste girlfriend.
- Julia, because her "owner" is underage. Subverted in that, Julia promises to keep herself chaste for him till he completes 18 years old, going as far as foreplay in between.
- Yurin, because the person she picks to be her "owner" is not a Lolicon and totally Squicked out by her advances.
- Caught with Your Pants Down: Yuria causes quite a few of these.
- Covert Pervert: Just look at her. Doesn't she look so huggable? Yeah, that's not what she's thinking.
- Although sometimes Shunsuke does allow himself to enjoy Yuria's attentions...
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Yuria was programmed to be clumsy so as to be endearing.
- Deus Sex Machina: As much as she tries, she inevitably reaches the same conclusion to escape whatever awkward situation she and Shunsuke find themselves in, and it involves having sex.
- Said situations include being stranded on a mountain, or stuck on a desert island.
- Dirty Old Man: Shunsuke's boss. This would've been a very short and repetitive series if he'd gotten his hands on Yuria and her 'sisters.'
- Do Androids Dream?: Surprisingly tragic at times. Yuria doesn't even know what love means, but she desperately wishes she did.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: see the entry for Footnote Fever.
- Double Entendre: also see the entry for Footnote Fever.
- Eagleland: The Lucy MKII play doll is very much a type 2.
- Though she was programed as an over the top version of this as her selling point.
- Ecchi: Very, very much so.
- Eroge: Volume 5 omake features the Yuria 100 Shiki eroge game as a parody of h-games.
- Expy: Shunsuke's boss has almost the exact same character design and personality of Kohta's Boss from My Balls, the mangaka's next work.
- Fanservice: Yuria makes any excuse to get naked, wherever. Considering the premise, it's not surprising.
- Shunsuke is in great shape and good looking and gets plenty of Shirtless Scenes himself, completely outside of Yuria's actions. Not to mention wrestling briefs.
- Festival Episode
- Fish out of Water: Her programming as a 'Dutch Wife' means she is not exactly prepared for "normal" every day activities; see the Footnote Fever entry again.
- Footnote Fever: Frequent appearances by Little Yellow Boxes that relate one of Yuria's selling features as a Dutch Wife to her unusual behaviour whenever she misunderstands or misinterprets a situation.
- For example, when Yuria becomes fascinated with the shampoo she's squirted out all over her hands, the Little Yellow Box explains that the Model 100 Dutch Wife is programmed to be mesmerized by milky white fluids.
- Since the Little Yellow Boxes address the reader as if they were advertisements for the Model 100, they do a good job of Painting the Medium
- In chapter 27, the boxes turn the tables and focus on Maria, explaining things such as that due to her high class upbringing she does not quite comprehend what a love hotel is.
- Girlish Pigtails: Yuria.
- Gone Horribly Right: It seemed like all of Dr. Akiba's problems with the latest Yuria models was that they had personality, enough to reject him even though they are programed to disregard at least their partner's looks and behavior, so his last creation was Yuria 1000, the most advanced Yuria model, completely devoid of personality and any remarkable trait; in theory it wouldn't reject even him, or so he though... like all Yuria models she still is a Dutch Wife progamed to please men, with her lack of direction Yuria 1000 simply reached the conclusion that she should go randomly around pleasing as many men as she could find, not settling for just one master by giving them quick pleasure and not letting anyone penetrate her. In the end she was just another Yuria that Dr. Akiba couldn't keep in his grasp.
- Gratuitous English: Lucy and her stock porno lines.
- Hadaka Apron: During Yuria's ImagineSpots and dreams.
- Harem: Yuria gets two "sisters" during the series; a Tsundere and a Loli. At first they both try to also seduce Shunsuke. After Yuria defends her "ownership" of Shunsuke, they each find their own "owner." Lucy and Louie also encounter Shunsuke right away and both decide to make him their first "conquest.". (Although in Louie's case, it seems more like an actual crush and less based on programming.)
- Healing Hands: If Shunsuke isn't feeling well, Yuria seems to think that her techniques will make Shunsuke feel better. Just not the way she intended.
- Hermaphrodite: Louie was built from the top half of a female bot and the bottom half of a male one. She identifies as female, but she's frequently undermined by a Raging Stiffie (which is as thick as a human's arm and capable of punching through steel.)
- I Can Explain: Tried frequently. Fails almost as frequently.
- Letting Yuria try to explain is not a good idea.
- Ice Queen: Shunsuke's girlfriend.
- Imagine Spot: Yuria often dreams and daydreams about her and Shunsuke being a real couple. Usually devolves into ecchi pretty quickly.
- Shunsuke will frequently hear her mumbling in her sleep and imagine she must be having pleasant dreams when she will suddenly blurt out something extremely ecchi.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: One chapter includes a scene with Shunsuke and Yuria listening to a radio call-in show where the subject is "What is love." One caller seems to be relating a serious metaphor involving the letters of the alphabet. Until he gets to H. It's a more obvious pun in Japanese than it is in English.
- Insane Troll Logic: How Yuria justifies her Deus Sex Machina.
- Lampshaded by Shunsuke often. "That doesn't even make sense!"
- Jail Bait Wait: Inverted between Julia and her underage owner.
- Lampshade Hanging: Between the yellow boxes and the crack plots, this manga is way, way too genre-savvy. It works.
- Lethal Chef: She can't tell if her cooking tastes bad because The Model 100 Dutch Wife is designed to not mind a wide range of tastes (More Footnote Fever).
- Living Toy: Julia's "owner" is underage, so he is only allowed to "play" with her, and when his mother is around, she pretends to be an inanimate love doll.
- Lolicon: Averted in that the guy Yurin picks to be her owner is emphatically not one and is incredibly freaked out by her advances.
- Loser Protagonist: Doctor Akiba has made an entire career out of building a robot that will have sex with him, and so far, none of them will. (Well, except the blowup doll.)
- Loveable Sex Maniac: ... You can figure it out.
- Marshmallow Hell
- Modesty Towel: They usually don't last long.
- Naked People Are Funny
- Nose Bleed: Regularly from Shunsuke and Yuria. Especially Yuria.
- No Romantic Resolution: Yuria and Yurin have not penetrated by the end of series. The series ends on a clear note in that the connection to their supposed owners are stronger than making them loyal robots through sex; in other words, love and commitment wins over uncompromised sex.
- No Social Skills:
- Yuria has been programmed for one purpose. Anything outside her area of expertise leaves her pretty lost as to how to proceed, usually winding up in Deus Sex Machina territory. The serious part of the plot is her trying to learn how to fit in.
- Julia and Yurin, despite also being Sex Bots, somehow seem to have a much more practical grasp of everyday life. The fact that they are later, improved models probably has something to do with it. (Julia even has a tendency to call Yuria "the old model" much to Yuria's annoyance.)
- Not What It Looks Like: Inverted. Most of the time it is, with Shunsuke trying to come up with a plausible excuse why it isn't.
- Oblivious to Love: Shunsuke is mind-bogglingly oblivious to how hard she tries to take care of him, much less her constant attempts to have sex with him.
- After only about 55 chapters, and countless "seduction attempts", Shunsuke might be finally getting some kind of vague clue, sort of, possibly.
- Only Six Faces: Maria and Yuria have almost the same design, the biggest differences being their hair styles. Because of this, in chapter 21 Yuria was able to pretend to be Maria in a girlfriend contest. There are also many similarities in the designs for most of the recurring male characters.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: Shunsuke to Yuria, very frequently.
- Pretty Freeloaders
- Red String of Fate: Yuria believes it goes from her finger to Shunsuke's ... not finger.
- Ridiculously Human Robots: They look human, they have human-equivalent bodily fluids (which are digestible to humans!), and they can apparently heal from small injuries. On the other hand, their mental capacities are unusually limited for the trope—Yuria can't even count to a hundred.
- The Rival: In chapter 41, a former colleague of Dr. Akiba's activates "Lucy Mk. II". He then sends her to Japan so she can "give them a taste of the superiority of American hardcore porno!"
- Running Gag: Yoshio getting found in awkward situations by his mom. And sometimes Julia.
- School Festival: Lots and lots of Hilarity Ensues.
- Sex Bot: All of the named female characters so far except Maria and Louie's roommate Kaoru.
- Shapeshifting: In the final volume, Dr. Akiba brings us Yuria 1000 an emotionless dutch wife built with nanotechnology and coated with silicone, capable of taking the form of any female or any of her "sisters" by touching them, turned out to be a failure as she did not have any personality.
- Shout-Out: When Yuria is convinced she must have a "cheat code" to unlock some kind of special abilities, she imagines the classic Konami Code and a Gradius starfighter.
- Yuria Type 28 could be a reference to Tetsujin 28 go AKA "Super Robot 28" or Gigantor.
- When Julia uses Yoshio's dick as a joystick, she's performing moves from various beat'em-ups, including Street Fighter.
- "Boss". Yes, the same "Boss" from My Balls, the writers subsequent work.
- And then there's the title itself, which references the Hyaku (100) Shiki mobile suit from Zeta Gundam.
- In Chapter 51, Kaneda's mental picture of a "Super Idol" is Haruka Amami from The iDOLM@STER.
- Late in the series, as Yoshio turns 18, his friends remind him he can rent all the porn he wants. Yoshio's response: "I have no interest in 3D girls".
- Shower Scene: With excessive shampoo everywhere, of course.
- Showing Off the New Body: in chapter 83, Yurin eventually learns how to make her body change to that of a grown-up woman, even without her supposed "owner" ever making advances on her and modelling the body after his preferences, with the new form she adopted the alias of Lorin trying to fool Ippei into having sex with her, still she failed as the form can't last long enough.
- Sliding Scale of Robot Intelligence: Yuria is convinced that her robot brain must be more than capable of helping a high school student with his tutoring. Turns out, not so much; Akiba must have put "advanced math skills" low on the list of requirements for a Sex Bot.
- Super-Powered Robot Meter Maids: Both the Yuria and Lucy series could potentially cause serious damage if they used their full strength. Lucy 3.5 sports a foot long penis that can break through a door.
- Sweat Drop
- There Are No Therapists: Any sane person would assume that Yuria suffers from some severe form of sexual disorder. Needless to say, this never comes up.
- This Is Wrong on So Many Levels
- Those Two Guys: Shunsuke's friends who frequently come upon Shunsuke and Yuria during awkward moments.
- Tsundere: Julia.
- Maria. She was most likely raised purely and just has a misunderstanding and worry for Shunsuke. She just stabs people with a inch and a half long point extending from her parasol. Otherwise she's so calm it's heartwarming and obvious to see why Shunsuke loves her.
- Unusual Euphemism: At one point Yuria says that semen in her mouth are "Tragic Summer Memories". Although no one was supposed to know what it meant.
- What Measure Is A Nonhuman: Among other things, whenever someone casually refers to one of the sexbots with a word like "person", the first line of her manual (e.g. "Yuria Type 100 is a dutch wife") appears in an inset panel. Especially common with Julia, whose owner, the doll collector Yoshio, thinks she's his first real human girlfriend.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: Yuria's programming leads her to think everything can be solved by sex. Bleeding wound? Stimulate the penis to draw blood down to it. Lost in the woods? See if you can get Shunsuke's erection to point north.
- Even in situations where it seems like she would be useful. For example, rubbing two sticks together to start a fire would be greatly helped with her impressive rate of 16 strokes-per-second (normally meant for... getting other things hot...). No, she just plows on as normal, completely unaware that success would mean setting Shunsuke's genitals on fire.
- Wife Husbandry: Model 108's (Yurin) primary selling point is that the owner can mold her body and personality to whatever he wants.
- Since this is her program, she is actively trying to get her "owner" to implement the plan on her against his strong protests, so it's actually inverted.
- It also seems that, since Ippei wants to be a schoolteacher, what he "wants" Yurin to be is a typical young schoolgirl. And lately Yurin seems to be acting more girlish and less utterly perverted. (Still perverted, but not as much. Mostly.) So now it may be headed to subversion territory.
- Would Hit a Girl: Shunsuke quite regularly has to wrestle Yuria into submission, and his skills are the only reason she hasn't (successfully) raped him yet. Moreover, her inability to appreciate the finer points of social situations or basic safety has put them in a lot of awkward and/or dangerous situations that he has literally no other way of resolving (though he invariably tries to talk her out of it first).
- Wrestler in All of Us: Hilariously, Shunsuke is not only a puroresu fan, he's actually an extremely competent wrestler himself. Which is quite often all that stands between him and a sex-crazed Yuria.
- His Luchador name is "El Limpio" (The Clean) which probably must refer to his "by the book" wrestling style and to his (somewhat) clean thoughts.
- Xenofiction: Yuria does not think like a human, no matter how much she wants to (which is pretty unusual for a series that asks Do Androids Dream?)
- Yaoi Fan Girl: Louie's roommate Kaoru misunderstands the situation, and promises to help Louie make Shunsuke "his" first receiver. (For that matter, Louie herself refers to Kaoru's collection of BL as "a mountain of treasure").