is the third series from the bestselling author Erin Hunter
(actually several authors working under the same pen name), after Warrior Cats
and Seeker Bears
. Instead of being written by the original Erins, it is instead written by new authors using the Erin Hunter Pen Name
The series begins with the not-so-lucky Lucky in the pound. Not long afterward, an earthquake destroys the building, and Lucky escapes into a world where it appears that all the humans are gone. He has always been a Lone Dog, fending for himself and relying on his instincts, and he's happy to remain that way. But then, after being rescued from a sticky situation with a gang of foxes, he realizes that the dogs who saved him are led by his sister. He realizes that being in a Pack might be safer, but he also quickly comes to realize that these former pampered pets probably won't make it without someone teaching them how to live without humans. Relying on other dogs and having them depend on him brings new dangers that Lucky isn't prepared for, but he may not be able to survive on his own. As the dogs travel to safety, they must learn how to become a true Pack.
Not to be confused with Survivor
Survivors provides examples of:
- A Day in the Limelight: Alpha gets his own E-Book story called Alpha's Tale.
- Sweet will be getting one of her own called Sweet's Journey.
- Moon will also have her own called Moon's Choice.
- After the End: It takes place after a huge earthquake which results in humans evacuating (to the point that every single one seems to have left their beloved dogs behind), and something happening to make the area radioactive (as one or two humans in biohazard suits with radiation sensors are seen).
- Agony of the Feet: Twitch has a lame left paw, which he complains about. The Broken Path reveals that he chews it off, helping him get around better even if he's three-legged now.
- The Alcoholic: The father in Lucky's former family; was also an Abusive Parent.
- The Aloner: Lucky, the series' main protagonist, is proud to be on his own. This changes later.
- Anger Born of Worry: In the prologue for "The Endless Lake", Lucky's mother was angry about Yap (a younger Lucky) wandering off, but she's happy he's okay.
- Angry Guard Dog: In a series of talking dogs, these are bound to happen quite often. The most notable ones are the three Fierce Dogs from The Empty City.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: How pack hierarchy works. Firmly deconstructed with Alpha, who has the skills to get into that position but is otherwise a terrible leader.
- Bears Are Bad News
- Big Guy: Bruno, Martha, and Fiery.
- Big Stupid Doo Doo Head: Lucky's first attempts at distracting the Fierce Dogs are "Hey, stupid!" and "Mad dogs, sad dogs, stupid crazy bad dogs!"
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing / Evil Genius: Whine (the Omega) in the wild pack. He may look meek and useless, but he arranges for an innocent yet whiny dog named Mulch to be framed for eating before the pack so that he could move up a rank.
- The Bully: Alpha.
- Butt Monkey: Mulch.
- Being Omega basically makes this your position in the pack.
- The Caligula: Terror, who will beat on his own Pack for no good reason and claims to be the chosen one of Fear-Dog to keep them in line. Lucky even notes that his pack will fight to the death for him because they're so terrified.
- Cats Are Mean
- Ear Ache: Grunt's ears are crudely mutilated into points by the Fierce Dogs.
- Storm suffers the same fate...but only one ear gets torn off.
- Eldritch Abomination: Lucky sees Terror as this, having strange wide yellow eyes, sores all over his body, and having seizures that make him believe in the "Fear Dog".
- Enemy Mine: A pack of foxes join Bella and her pack in attacking the wild pack for more territory. It does not end well, leaving both packs to fight them off together.
- Enfante Terrible: Grunt.
- The Exile: Lucky and Twitch get kicked out of the pack in Darkness Falls, the former for supposedly bring misfortune on the pack and the latter for having an injured foot. Lucky makes it back while Twitch becomes the new leader of Terror's pack.
- Fail O'Suckyname: One assumes a name like 'Whine' only starts to look good when you've had your identity replaced with the word 'Omega' for long enough.
- Fantastic Racism: Oh, where to begin. Fierce Dogs despise every other dog as weak, and all the other dogs think Fierce Dogs are sadistic brutes. Wild Dogs look down on Leashed Dogs as weaklings and City Dogs as traitors. Leashed Dogs dislike the roughness of Wild Dogs and City Dogs. Alpha was the recipient of scorn in his former wolf pack for being half-dog. The pack is mostly Wild Dogs, but contains former Leashed, City, and Fierce Dogs.
- Freudian Excuse: Alpha's need to always be in control stems from growing up as a half-dog in a wolf pack, and vowing to never be a victim again.
- Hold Your Hippogriffs: The dogs seem to have a lot of strange words for many stuff including the sun, which had never been called another name in Warrior Cats and Seeker Bears. They even called cats "sharpclaws".
- Hypocrite: Alpha hates Fierce Dogs for what they did to him as a pup, yet he was apparently mates with one and later betrayed his own pack to be the Fierce Dogs' Omega.
- In Name Only: The only thing connecting it to the other Erin Hunter books, Warriors and Seekers, is the name on the cover.
- It's All About Me: In the blurb for "The Endless Lake", Alpha declares that his own safety comes before the Pack.
- Kick the Dog: Terror beats up his pack members for only the slightest of faults.
- Alpha declares that Storm's Naming Ceremony was false and tells the others to keep calling her Lick instead of Storm. Then he does one for real...and calls her Savage.
- Killed Off for Real:
- Alpha kills Alfie in A Hidden Enemy.
- Also Fiery in the Broken Path. First, he gets captured by humans and poisoned. Next, he gets attacked by Terror's pack and later dies from his wounds.
- Blade and the former Alpha both bite the dust in Storm Of Dogs.
- Leader Wannabe: Lucky's sister Bella tries to assert herself as the alpha dog throughout the first book. In the fifth book, she challenges Sweet for position to be the alpha dog of the pack.
- Whine from A Hidden Enemy. Though he's not trying to be the leader; he just doesn't want to be the Omega anymore.
- Mama Bear: Sweet Gentle Giant Martha acts aggressive towards Alpha for acting hostile towards the Fierce Dog pups.
- Don't forget Moon herself. Losing one of her puppies to foxes makes her fight even harder.
- Meaningful Name: Lick gets renamed to Storm, most likely referring to the last book in the series: Storm Of Dogs.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: The dogs of the Fierce Dogs pack; their names are Blade, Dagger, and Mace.
- As seen in the allegiances for The Broken Path, every Fierce Dog is named after a weapon. Except Pup/Dog/Wolf/Alpha/Omega.
- Nature Spirit: The Spirit-Dogs.
- Nature Vs Nurture: Lick. She was born a Fierce Dog, and clearly still has their instincts, evidenced by her ripping off Terror's jaw and later killing him, but is fighting to become a Wild Dog.
- Noble Wolf-dog: Alpha the wolf-dog in A Hidden Enemy.
- Number Two: Sweet to Alpha. She becomes the alpha dog after he joins the Fierce Dogs.
- Lucky becomes the beta in The Endless Lake.
- The Oathbreaker: Whine promises not to tell Lucky that he's working for the Leashed Dogs if he helps him get promoted. So how does he pay him back? By ratting him out anyways.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Alpha's line: "Who. Has. Done. This?"
- The Quisling: Alpha.
- Rage Breaking Point: The Trial Of Rage is designed to make Fierce Dogs reach their anger point and kill their opponent. Unfortunately for Blade, Storm overcomes her rage and refuses to kill her brother Fang.
- Raised By Wild Dogs: The Wild pack adopts three Fierce Dog pups, and one of them still lives with the pack. Wiggle dies and Fang joins the Fierce Dogs, but Storm (the only female) stays.
- Reasonable Authority Figure. Fiery. Although he respects Alpha, he's a lot calmer and more friendly than he. When he challenges Alpha for the position of leadership, Lucky even lampshades how different the pack would be under Fiery's rule.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Alpha gives Lucky one of these about his wavering loyalty to the pack...which becomes hypocritical two books later when he joins the Fierce Dogs.
- Fiery gives one to Alpha while challenging him for leadership, calling him out on making bad decisions for the pack and treating the pets like crap while not recognizing their potential.
- Lucky finally gives one to Alpha for betraying the Wild Pack while making them think he was dead.
- The Smart Guy: Mickey.
- Title Drop: "We're survivors, you and me."
- Too Dumb to Live: The other dogs, from Lucky's point of view (and probably the readers' as well). Individual dogs' antics include going back into a house they just established was filled with carbon monoxide (especially since it had caused the one dog to become unconscious and they had just rescued her), swimming too far out in the river after Lucky had just warned them about it being deep and fast, and one dog trying to put a collar back on after he'd gotten it caught on a bush and nearly choked himself to death.
- Your Mom: Lucky distracts the Fierce Dogs by barking insults at them. These include claiming that their mothers had worms and were tailless, and that their fathers were foxes.