is the third series from the bestselling author Erin Hunter
(actually several authors working under the same pen name), after Warrior Cats
and Seeker Bears
. Instead of being written by the original Erins, it is instead written by new authors using the Erin Hunter Pen Name
The series begins with the not-so-lucky Lucky in the pound. Not long afterward, an earthquake destroys the building, and Lucky escapes into a world where it appears that all the humans are gone. He has always been a Lone Dog, fending for himself and relying on his instincts, and he's happy to remain that way. But then, after being rescued from a sticky situation with a gang of foxes, he realizes that the dogs who saved him are led by his sister. He realizes that being in a Pack might be safer, but he also quickly comes to realize that these former pampered pets probably won't make it without someone teaching them how to live without humans. Relying on other dogs and having them depend on him brings new dangers that Lucky isn't prepared for, but he may not be able to survive on his own. As the dogs travel to safety, they must learn how to become a true Pack.
Not to be confused with Survivor
Survivors provides examples of:
- After the End: It takes place after a huge earthquake which results in humans evacuating (to the point that every single one seems to have left their beloved dogs behind), and something happening to make the area radioactive (as one or two humans in biohazard suits with radiation sensors are seen).
- The Alcoholic: The father in Lucky's former family; was also an Abusive Parent.
- The Aloner: Lucky, the series' main protagonist, is proud to be on his own. But there may come a day when he would have to accept being accepted into a pack.
- Angry Guard Dog: In a series of talking dogs, these are bound to happen quite often. The most notable ones are the three Fierce Dogs from The Empty City.
- Bears Are Bad News
- Big Badass Wolf-dog: Alpha the wolf-dog in A Hidden Enemy.
- Big Guy: Bruno and Martha.
- Big Stupid Doo Doo Head: Lucky's first attempts at distracting the Fierce Dogs are "Hey, stupid!" and "Mad dogs, sad dogs, stupid crazy bad dogs!"
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing / Evil Genius: Whine (the Omega) in the wild pack. He may look meek and useless, but he arranges for an innocent yet whiny dog named Mulch to be framed for eating before the pack so that he could move up a rank.
- Butt Monkey: Mulch.
- Enemy Mine: A pack of foxes join Bella and her pack in attacking the wild pack for more territory. It does not end well.
- Fail O'Suckyname: One assumes a name like 'Whine' only starts to look good when you've had your identity replaced with the word 'Omega' for long enough.
- Hold Your Hippogriffs: The dogs seem to have a lot of strange words for many stuff including the sun, which had never been called another name in Warrior Cats and Seeker Bears. They even called cats "sharpclaws".
- In Name Only: The only thing connecting it to the other Erin Hunter books, Warriors and Seekers, is the name on the cover.
- Killed Off for Real: Alpha kills Alfie in A Hidden Enemy.
- Leader Wannabe: Lucky's sister Bella tries to assert herself as the alpha dog throughout the book. However, she messed it up when it came to confronting the Fierce Dogs.
- Whine from A Hidden Enemy. Though he's not trying to be the leader; he just doesn't want to be the Omega anymore.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: The dogs of the Fierce Dogs pack; their names are Blade, Dagger, and Mace.
- Number Two: Sweet to Alpha.
- The Oathbreaker: Whine promises not to tell Lucky that he's working for the Leashed Dogs if he helps him get promoted. So how does he pay him back? By ratting him out anyways.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Alpha's line: "Who. Has. Done. This?"
- Raised By Wild Dogs: The Wild pack adopts three Fierce Dog pups, and one of them still lives with the pack. Wiggle dies and Grunt leaves the pack, but Lick (the only female) stays.
- Ravens and Crows: A crow appears at key moments in Lucky's life.
- The Smart Guy: Mickey.
- Title Drop: "We're survivors, you and me."
- Too Dumb to Live: The other dogs, from Lucky's point of view (and probably the readers' as well). Individual dogs' antics include going back into a house they just established was filled with carbon monoxide (especially since it had caused the one dog to become unconscious and they had just rescued her), swimming too far out in the river after Lucky had just warned them about it being deep and fast, and one dog trying to put a collar back on after he'd gotten it caught on a bush and nearly choked himself to death.
- Your Mom: Lucky distracts the Fierce Dogs by barking insults at them. These include claiming that their mothers had worms and were tailless, and that their fathers were foxes.