- In Episode 2, after most of Team C pokes fun at the StuG III they've been assigned to, Erwin (who more or less knows of her soul name's exploits in both World Wars) lists its accomplishments, and then, while pointing off into the horizon, delivers this line:
Apologize to the Finnish!
- Bonus funny points for the historical reference being intentionally wrong.
- Well, only by one war. StuG III didn't serve in Winter War. However, they saw use in Continuation War.
- Also from episode 2, the introduction of the instructor.
Isn't that the headmasters car?
''Now they've gone and done it."
- Aya asks the internet how to start the tank, and for her trouble receives responses such as "Google it, noob!" and "You start by taking off your clothes."
- In Episode 3, Mako's reaction to learning that they need to be at a friendly match by 6AM... which means she needs to get up at 5AM. She nearly facefaults, before trying to quit The Team. To make sure she wakes up on time, said team drives the Panzer IV to her house and fires a blank shell from the main gun... which just barely wakes her up!
- And a close look at the same scene shows Mako's bed with five alarm clocks already emplaced, yet still didn't wake her up.
- Since early tanks didn't have internal radios, it's impossible for the commander to verbally communicate with the crew over the tank's engine noise, so she has to give commands to the driver by kicking her to indicate which way to turn. Hilarity Ensues (not to mention, considerable SadoMasochism-flavored Accidental Innuendo) as Saori tries this on Hana in episode 2.
Hana: Kick me as hard as you can!
Saori: What?! Fine! Then LEFT!
(Saori kicks her with extreme prejudice)
Hana: Could you kick me a little softer?
- In the manga, they mention that was done mainly with the smallish Japanese tanks. Cue Saori's legs not reaching Hana's shoulders in their roomier German tank and Miho handing her a stick to poke Hanna's shoulders with.
- There's a frantic repeat of this in Episode 11 by the Kuromorimine crews, as the Student Council goes Hetzer trolling.
- Episode 4/The fourth OVA.
- The Anglerfish Dance complete with costumes and a moving platform for maximum exposure.
- Not to mention when Anzu has the student council participating in the humiliating dance, unlike everybody else, she is seen looking VERY happy and enjoying this, despite that she herself is part of the humiliation.
- The Student Council team roars in to the rescue, with Momo firing into a mass of 4 tanks at point blank range... and misses, as the shot flies into the narrow gap between two tanks. Cue all four firing back.
- The owner of an Ōarai (the city, not the school) shop that gets smashed into by a Matilda positively Squees at the opportunity to remodel it with the insurance money, prompting a fellow shop owner sitting next to him to pray that his shop also gets wrecked!
Shop owner 1: "My shop!"
) Now I can have it renovated!" Shop owner 2: "It's a good omen." Shop owner 3: "Fingers crossed they'll also crash into mine!"
- Bonus funny points for being Truth in Television; the real-world counterpart of that shop received a HUGE number of customers because of it.
- In the middle of a serious argument with her daughter, Hana's mother cries that she hates Panzers and wishes all them were "melted into scrap iron". Cue close-up of Panzer-obsessed Yukari's shocked face, with narrowed eyes and twitching eyebrows with all of it in dramatic black and white, reduced to shock and repeating her words.
- Episode 5.
- Mako snarkily responds to Erika's description of an unwritten rule that schools with no chance of winning shouldn't enter the tournament by saying that it would be utterly humiliating if one of those schools defeated a well-funded one like Kuromorimine.
Erika: There's an unspoken rule that everyone knows: schools that will just embarrass Tankery should stay out of the tournament.
Mako: It'd sure be pretty embarrassing if one of those teams beat the veterans that all sat around in their ivory towers coming up with that rule.
- The Panzer Cafe. Everything from the bell to call the waiter over being a tank that makes a firing noise when pressed, to the military-style costumes they're wearing to the cakes ordered in the shape of tanks. They're brought on the tables by automated scale models of tank transporter trucks!
- All being various bits of Truth in Television, though perhaps not all in the same restaurant. Themed restaurants with waitstaff in uniforms (maids, ninja, EFSF or Zeon soldiers, etc.), themed menu items, and some sushi restaurants have little automated trains that deliver orders to your table.
- Miho and the others visit Yukari's house.
Miho: Is Yukari here?
Jungorou: And you are?
Saori: Her friends.
Jungorou: Her friends? (Gets shocked) H-her friends?!
Yoshiko: Calm down, dear.
Jungorou: But they're her friends! Friends of Yukari!
Yoshiko: I know that. Thanks for taking care of Yukari.
Jungorou: (In seiza position before he bows) Yes! Thank you for taking care of her!
- Yukari's infiltration
- adding credits to her infiltration video.
- The part where she's about to change, realizes that the camera's still on, and shuts it off,
- Also the answer she gives when asked for identification.
- The response by one of Saunders tank gunner when she found out she's in a middle of an ambush.
- Episode 6.
- Arisa's hilarious breakdown as the Ōarai tanks chase her lone Sherman. Then the Ōarai tanks end up being chased by the rest (four more) of Saunders' Shermans, while they're chasing Arisa. All while the History Team keeps quoting battles where tables were turned and/or the siegers became the besieged.
- How Arisa's flag tank is found is hilarious as is. Ōarai's Duck Team with their Type 89 tank comes up in the clearing in view with Arisa's Sherman. Cue a whole 20 second stare off between the Type 89 and the Sherman before any reaction is made of the situation.
- At one point during Arisa's breakdown and ranting, she proceeds to stick her head out of her Sherman to scream right at the pursuing Ōarai tanks. However, due to the sound of the tank engines and cannon firing, we only see her mouth moves as she screams.
Hana: It appears she's shouting at us as they're running away.
- Episode 8. Katyusha's childish antics in general, especially in the original Japanese version, when she and Nonna begins singing Katyusha.
- Also when she and Darjeeling start the episode having tea, after St Gloriana's has been knocked out by Kuoromorimine in the semi-finals Darjeeling warns them to practice for the semi-finals, whilst Katyusha says that Oorai are just a no-name school. Darjeeling points out that they are led by a Nishizumi:
Katyusha: Wha-?! You didn't tell me that, Nonna!
Nonna: I've told you several times.
Katyusha: Well this is the first I've heard of it!
Katyusha: Surely you didn't come all this way just to tell me that.
Darjeeling: Of course not. I just wanted to have some of this delicious tea.
- Miho's idea to improve morale when the team is trapped in a church by Pravda's team? The incredibly embarrassing and demoralizing Anglerfish (Ankou) Dance. It works.
Miho: Everyone, sing with me! I'll do the Ankou Dance!
Momo: Hey, that's going to have the opposite effect!
- The dance is broadcast on a HUGE screen for all to see... including Maho, Shiho and Yuri (Hana's mom). The expressions on the latter two's faces are priceless.
- The surprise on the Pravda messenger's face when she walks in the middle of the dance number to ask for Ōarai's answer to their ultimatum and is ignored until she screams "HEY!" is equally funny.
- In Episode 10, the demonstration of the Tiger(P), which was eagerly anticipated to even the odds... and then it gets stuck in mud, the engine overheats and it catches fire. The best part? The contrast between Miho's stunned expression and the Automobile Club's unconcerned reaction:
Nakajima: Ah, crap. There it goes again. Hey, Hoshino! Get me a fire extinguisher!
(Cue to disappointed faces from Momo and Yuzu, while Miho looks on, speechless.)
Anzu: I can't really call that a tank.
- The memorable Gay Moment between Miho and her team in Episode 10:
Saori: "You should try getting a boyfriend yourself, Miporin."
Miho: "I'm... I'm... having a lot of fun being around all of you. Saori-san, Hana-san, Mako-san, Yukari-san... I love all of you."
Yukari (blushing): "Nishizumi-dono just confessed her love for me!"
- Episode 10.5, another recap, gets to the fight with Anzio, and flat out says they were skipping past that.
- The Hurricane of Puns shown when the School Council go to a restaurant. Every single line the store owner says has the word "Win" mangled into it. In the English dub, the pun fails to make any sense, so we get an apologetic subtitle explaining why the store owner is saying "Chicken" over and over again.
- Episode 11.
(Leopon and Mallard teams open fire at the back, while in the StuG III...)
Saemonza: Never until now have I realized how much I want a rotating turret!
- Another one from the same episode (Overlapping with Crowning Moment of Awesome): Turtle Team going Hetzer trolling. Bonus points for Miho and Anzu invoking the infamous Hetzers gonna Hetz, to wit:
- Doing a sneak attack at advancing Kuromorimine tanks which were pursuing the Ōarai tanks, disabling a Jagdpanther's tracks and taking out a Panther.
- Taking out the same Jagdpanther they took out earlier (leading to a furious rant from its commander), then parallel parking in the middle of the enemy's battle formation. The startled reaction from the Kuromorimine tank crews when they realize Turtle Team is among them is simply priceless.
- Kuromorimine's Panzer III is trailing behind the Maus manically boasting about the latter's impenetrable armor. Said Panzer III promply gets taken out by a stray shot when it swerves away from its companion's protection.
- What's the correct course of action if you have one of the worst tanks ever and you have somehow climbed upon one of the most heavily armed and armored land vehicles to have ever fought? Why, politely correcting its commander on misidentifying your tank's weight class, of course.
commander: Hey, you! Light tank! Get out of there! Noriko
: Don't wanna! Also, the Type 89
isn't a light tank... Akebi
: It's a medium
- Rabbit Team's grand strategy against Kuromorimine's Elefant: Go round and round the same block in a smaller, faster tank until you catch up to them from behind.
- Sodoko deletes all records of Mako coming in late, who proceeds to break character, to put it lightly.
- Dancing Granny◊.
- OVA 1's swimsuit-choosing scene is an extended funny moment. From the point they enter until they exit the store there is a hurricane of rapid-fire jokes, from Yukari's swimsuit of choice being military diving equipment, to the themed suits chosen by the other teams, ranging from loincloths to dissolving bikinis to a full-body team mascot costume. Finally topped by a heavy storm starting as soon as they get to the beach.
- The second OVA's *pam line. Complete with the bleeps AND the viking ship.
Ayumi: Eggs and *pam!
Aya: Eggs, bacon and *pam!
Karina: Eggs and bacon and sausage and *pam!
Ayumi: *pam, *pam, *pam, eggs and *pam!
All three: *pam! *pam! *pam! *pam! *pam! *pam!
(The three girls continue to chant "Delicious *pam!" as Azusa tells them in between to shut up, until she got tired.)
- Ōarai's victory party in OVA 6, featuring congratulatory letters from various people, and a 'hidden talents' talent contest between the teams. Highlights include:
- Everyone wondering if Darjeeling's letter was meant to be sent to them, or to a wedding. Each of them later received a can of Anchovies from Anchovy.
- When told that they could not use their primary skills, everyone gets upset, except for Team Anglerfish when told that they couldn't use their talent of doing the Anglerfish Dance.
- The Morals Committee poking fun at how they all look the same.
- Momo freaking out at how well one of the volleyball team members imitated her and Hana getting overzealous at their imitations but fails to recognize their impression of her.
- Despite being told they could not use their talent in history, Team Hippo kept inserting assorted history facts into their scenes from Little Women.
Momo: I told you guys NO HISTORY! Clear the stage!
- Anzu going 'off-script' during Team Anglerfish's sentai team routine.
Anzu: Shut up! The ankou will protect Ōarai FOREVER!!!
- The Volleyball Team getting angry at the Automobile Club using their Type 89 tank as part of their magic act.
- The final reveal, after the Student Council declared themselves the winner, that the top prize was effectively a year's supply of sweet potato chips.
- This bit from The Real Anzio Battle OVA, when the rest of Hippo team learn of Caesar's childhood friend Carpaccio.
Oryuu: Who the heck is Taka-chan?
Saemonza: It's probably Caesar.
Erwin: She's out of her usual character.
(Caesar and Carpaccio continue their brief exchange of greetings, then the latter leaves. Caesar then turns to her crewmates...)
Erwin: Seems we found Caesar's other side.
Saemonza: Whoo, Whoo!
Caesar: (Blushing) Wh-what?! What's so weird about that?
- During the start of the same OVA, immediately before Anchovy dramatically announces her school's secret weapon, the bell rings and everyone runs off to lunch.
- The entirety of the Anzio team in the OVA's Post-Credits Stinger partying so hard that they overslept on the day of the finals, waking up after Oarai had already won.