is a 2011 movie adaptation
and continuation of the popular series The Inbetweeners
The familiar foursome Jay, Neil, Simon and Will go on holiday
, unknowingly going to the same place as Simon's ex-girlfriend Carli. As you can imagine, hilarity ensues
and they all meet a like-minded 'friend' on the way.
This Movie Shows Examples Of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Jay initially treats Jane as one of these, not wanting to get "stuck with the fat one".
- Alpha Bitch: Carli can be this sometimes.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Will's finally-revealed Disappeared Dad doesn't even believe he has any friends and seems to be just as embarrassing a father as Mr Cartwright is to Jay.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Richard, who is trying to act like a sociable person, but fails miserably due to coming across as an overexcited drug addict.
- Ass Shove: Jay keeps €20 in his ass on holidays in case he needs to bribe a cop.
- Betty and Veronica: Simon is the Archie caught between Lucy (Betty) and Carli (Veronica).
- Big Beautiful Woman: Zigzagged with Jane. Jay initially sees her as an Abhorrent Admirer, but apparently more because he's worried about what his friends would think. He comes around in the end.
- Birds of a Feather: Lisa is perhaps the only character in the entirety of the show or the movie to actually be dumber than Neil.
- Binge Montage
- Blind Without 'Em: Happens to Will during the skinny-dipping scene
- By "No", I Mean "Yes": Allison with Will.
- Call Back: To the episode "Work Experience":
Will: Despite Neil offering — twice — they didn't allow him to drive the plane.
- Casanova Wannabe: Jay, of course.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Richard.
- Comically Missingthe Point: Neil, telling Will not to put rocks in his pockets and go swimming otherwise he'll drown
- Coming-of-Age Story
- Country Matters: Jay calls Carli a 'cunt' as he and Simon are arguing. This prompts Simon to take a swing at Jay.
- Cringe Comedy: This is The Inbetweeners we are talking about, here.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Will with Allison at first. And Simon with Carli, as usual.
- Dropped Glasses: Will
- Football Hooligans: A group of them keep Will awake throughout the bus ride from the airport to the hostel they're staying at by singing incessantly.
- Gilligan Cut: Happens to Jay.
Jay: God, I hope I don't get stuck with the fat one.
- Hope Spot: Done with Simon repeatedly.
- Hotel Hellion: Jay has a run in with one.
- Jerk Ass:
- Will's dad. Who is revealed to have left Will and his mother to marry a woman barely older than Will. He insults Will, his hobbies and casually admits he didn't invite him to the private wedding, containing a mere 'couple of hundred' close family and friends.
- Neil, surprisingly. He spends a large portion of the film getting with all manner of girls on the boy's holiday. Towards the end he reveals that his girlfriend dumped him and he didn't want to dampen the mood. Turns out he was lying, his girlfriend Nicole is waiting for him at the airport during the credits.
- James. Being a sort of composite of every rom-com villain in history, this isn't all that surprising.
- Kavorka Man: Neil. He's extremely thick and yet he seems to get offers left, right and centre! Though, to be fair, he's not exactly picky. The other guys have to literally drag him away from the next dinner lady who comes onto him.
- Likes Older Women: Neil.
- Love Makes You Dumb: Carli does this to Simon. So much so that he obsesses over her nonstop and turns off another girl who is genuinely interested in him by constantly talking about Carli.
- Not What It Looks Like:
- Jay says this when his mother and sister catch him masturbating. It's a little hard for him to explain because he has diving gear on his head.
- Done later by Richard, when he mentions he phoned his parents to come and pick him up. Before this it's implied that Richard is some kind of dodgy character who's spent all his money on drugs.
- Race for Your Love: Parodied when Simon decides to swim to shore from the boat party to declare his love for Lucy. Everyone cheers as he jumps into the water only to stop cheering as he struggles to make it to shore, has to be rescued by emergency workers, is taken to the hospital, and shits himself.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Jay sort of does this with Simon. Presumably he thinks it will snap him out of it but instead it hits a Berserk Button
- Running Gag: Jay orders that every time Simon mentions the name Carli, he must be slapped in the balls. He says her name a lot.
- Sex as Rite-of-Passage: All the boys except for Neil. Even though Simon and Carli were dating, they did not have sex together, so everyone but Neil is a virgin and presumably they all lose their virginity on this trip as well as gaining 'independence'.
- Status Quo Is God: Simon didn't have to move to Wales after all. It's not explained how or why, though.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Considering that Lucy isn't at all like Carli, Jane is not like Chloe, and Lisa doesn't seem to be like Neil's flings, it's noteworthy how Alison is essentially just Charlotte with the Alpha Bitch traits (both the good and the bad) turned down. They are even somewhat similar in appearance. Though it may be justified in that Will already found his perfect type of woman in Charlotte, and then he naturally falls for Alison who is so similar, while the others lads' matches had formerly been... less than perfect.
- Vacation Episode
- Would Hurt a Child: Jay pushes a kid who can't swim into a pool for de-pantsing him in front of the entire poolside.
- Your Cheating Heart: Alison's Greek boyfriend Nikos. Will even accurately predicts what he says to excuse his cheating.