Yep, another retelling of Dicken's Christmas Carol
Only this time Scrooge is a diva and a girl
! Almost all the genders have been swapped for the characters.*
A Diva's Christmas Carol provides examples of the following tropes:
- Back from the Dead: Marli, duh.
- Comically Missing the Point: This happens to The Ghost of Christmas Past (played by Kathy Griffin).
Ebony: You skinny bitch.
The Ghost of Christmas Past: *gasps* Did you say 'skinny'?note
- Dark and Troubled Past: Poor Ebony. She has an abusive and alcoholic father, an absent (and most likely dead) mother, she was taken into foster care away from her beloved older brother on Christmas Day, she reunites with him only to lose him to a brain aneurysm some years later and she pushes away the only man who ever loved her due to her looking for success.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Edited for Syndication: Mostly averted, but BET edits out the usages of the word "bitch". It is done to the point of ridiculousness on Hallmark Channel airings, which even went as far as to edit out the word "butt".
- Happy Holidays Dress: She rocks this towards the end of the movie.
- Littlest Cancer Patient: Bob's son Tim of course, although which exact disease he had remains vague.
- Never Speak Ill of the Dead: Averted hilariously with Ebony's Behind The Music episode, as many viewed her as a miserable person, a meal ticket, or just glad not to have to deal with her.
Patrice: I mean, great performer...
Tina: ...but such a bitch.
Lance: She smelled real bad.
Ebony: Oh, you're all fired.
- Nice Character, Mean Actor: Ebony Scrooge is this in spades. Even her poor back-up singer Patrice learns this upon being hired to be on her crew.
- Pretty in Mink
- Shout-Out: Since the movie originally aired on VH-1, a couple of their now-defunct shows were mentioned, such as Where Are They Now? and Ebony's own bad future-themed episode of Behind The Music.
- Take That: Several, of Los Angeles, Patterson, New Jersey, France, Celine Dion...