Film: A Divas Christmas Carol
Yep, another retelling of Dicken's Christmas Carol
Only this time Scrooge is a diva and a girl
! Almost all the genders have been swapped for the characters.*
A Diva's Christmas Carol provides examples of the following tropes:
- Babies Ever After: Olivia and her husband are now the proud parents of a beautiful baby girl by the end of the film.
- Back from the Dead: Marli, duh.
- Bad Boss: Ebony.
- Comically Missing the Point: This happens to The Ghost of Christmas Past (played by Kathy Griffin).
Ebony: You skinny bitch.
The Ghost of Christmas Past: *gasps* Did you say 'skinny'?note
- Curse Cut Short: Ebony tells room service she wants her salad washed, but not soggy.
Ebony: No, if it's soggy, I'm coming down there and I'm shoving it up your—(grandfather clock chiming)
- And a little later after seeing Marli and thinking she was hallucinating:
Ebony: Those Pharmalain's some powerful sh...(passes out)
- Dark and Troubled Past: Poor Ebony. She had an abusive and alcoholic father, an absent (and most likely dead) mother, she was taken into foster care away from her beloved older brother on Christmas Day, she reunites with him only to lose him to a brain aneurysm some years later and she pushes away the only man who ever loved her due to her looking for success.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Determinator: Olivia, arguably. Her Dad is dead, we don't know the fate of her mother and her only biological family member initially wants nothing to do with her. At least she has a loving husband, close friends who are like family and a baby girl by the end of the film.
- Edited for Syndication: Mostly averted, but BET edits out the usages of the word "bitch". It is played straight to the point of ridiculousness on Hallmark Channel airings however, which even went as far as to edit out the word "butt".
- Epic Fail: Ebony asks for French toast while in France.note
- Happy Holidays Dress: She rocks this towards the end of the movie.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: Ebony's and The Ghost of Christmas Past's wardrobe (which she explains she has because she "had to show Tom Ford his past Christmases.")
- Desire's matching outfits are pretty cool, too. Hell, even Marli's outfit as a ghost had a pretty unique and memorable style to it.
- It's All About Me: Ebony comes first and foremost.
- Littlest Cancer Patient: Bob's son Tim of course, although which exact disease he had remains vague.
- Looping Lines: Ebony lip-synches at the beginning of the film, before she chokes on the fake snow.
- Never Speak Ill of the Dead: Averted hilariously with Ebony's Behind The Music episode, as many viewed her as a miserable person, a meal ticket, or just glad not to have to deal with her.
Patrice: I mean, great performer...
Tina: ...but such a bitch.
Lance: She smelled real bad.
Ebony: Oh, you're all fired.
- Nice Performer, Mean Singer: Ebony Scrooge is this in spades. Even her poor back-up singer Patrice, who was and continues to be a fan of her music, learns this upon being hired to be on her crew.
- Pretty in Mink: She also rocks a big (fake) fur coat during the beginning holiday special.
- The Prima Donna
- Shout-Out: Since the movie originally aired on VH-1, a couple of their now-defunct shows were mentioned, such as Where Are They Now? and Ebony's own bad future-themed episode of Behind The Music.
- Take That: Several, at Los Angeles, Patterson, New Jersey, France, CÚline Dion...