Fanfic: Opening Dangerous Gates
Opening Dangerous Gates
is a Fairy Tail
crossover by LadyD0544
A seemingly routine job takes a dangerous turn when Lucy Heartfilia and her friends face a demon from the Book of Zeref called Daemon. Daemon is carrying a black key that summons a random Shinigami when used and a white key that summons a random Arrancar when used. Lucy barely manages to defeat Daemon by taking the black key and summoning Kenpachi Zaraki. After this event, she is targeted by the rest of the demons, both to avenge Daemon and because they claim the two keys are Zeref's property.
This fic is set sometime after the Grand Magic Games arc from Fairy Tail and before the Winter War in Bleach, a necessity because the author would like as many characters from Bleach to appear as possible.
- Always Someone Better:
- Kenpachi is stronger and faster than Daemon, which shocks him because he was stronger and faster than Natsu, Gajeel, and Laxus and thought he was unbeatable.
- Tier Harribel has better water control than Xiphias Gladius.
- Rangiku Matsumoto can out-drink Cana and Bacchus.
- Toshiro Hitsugaya has superior ice powers to Gray. It really pisses him off.
- Audience Participation: The author allows the fans to vote on which Bleach characters get summoned.
- Awesomeness by Analysis:
- Grimmjow figures out the demon twins' powers (Power Copying and Twin Telepathy), which shocks them because they made a point to not explain their powers.
- When Kisuke Urahara is summoned, he very quickly assesses the situation even though he had been exiled from Soul Society and has no knowledge of the keys. He then figures out the nature of the magic barrier and how to take it down.
- Bare-Handed Blade Block: Grimmjow does this against the demon twins. However, when he tries it again later in the fight, his arms get cut, because they have copied his powers to the point where they are strong enough to pierce his Hierro.
- Battle of Wits: After completing his task, Gin Ichimaru challenges Lucy to one, a game of 21 Questions. Lucy wins, impressing him, because she got him to reveal more information than she did even though he asked 13 questions while she only asked 8.
- Blow You Away: The air demon had superior wind control to Ren of Blue Pegasus. His wind is however not strong enough to blow away Heineko's ash.
- Brain Bleach: Several characters are bothered by Gray's stripping habit. Hitsugaya has to close his eyes and rid himself of the image of seeing Gray pantless.
- Brick Joke: Levy traps a few demons using Solid Script: Jail. In a later chapter, they are still in there, refusing to come out because they are afraid Gin Ichimaru is still around and don't want to get killed.
- Chaste Hero: Natsu gets confused over why the others are gushing about Harribel's sexiness, but he's slowly realizing his attraction to Lucy.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Gajeel threatens the Trimens when they try to hit on Levy. Later, when Urahara kisses her hand, he goes berserk and Laxus can barely hold him back.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Daemon dished it out to Lucy and her friends until she summoned Kenpachi, who promptly returned the favor. Any summoned Bleach character tends to deliver these to the demons.
- Cuteness Proximity: Lucy pisses Hitsugaya off when she mistakes him for a child and coos around him.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy:
- When he realizes he can't overpower Kenpachi, Daemon goes around him and tries to kill Lucy, knowing that if a Celestial Spirit Mage dies, the contract is cancelled and the summoned being automatically returns to where they came from. Fortunately, Kenpachi stops him in time.
- Xiphias Gladius grabs Lucy and takes her ring of keys as soon as he runs into her. Fortunately, she was carrying the white key in her pocket.
- The demon twins also try to take her keys as soon as she arrives, but she gave them to Virgo beforehand and she hands them back after sneak attacking them.
- Dirty Kid: After helping Lucy, Wonderweiss buries his face in her cleavage. She accepts it at first because she thinks he's just an innocent kid, but then she realizes he knows what he's doing and angrily performs a Forced Gate Closure. Later, when Nnoitra is summoned, he mentions that Wonderweiss is currently groping every female Arrancar he can get his hands on.
- Do with Him as You Will: When Harribel was about to finish Xiphias Gladius off, she sensed that if she stayed any longer, Lucy would not survive her presence, so she tells the rest of Team Natsu she will leave the rest to them and returns to Hueco Mundo.
Harribel: I would of ended you quickly; however I don't think they will.
- The Dreaded: Everybody who witnessed Kenpachi's summoning, even Natsu, Gajeel, and Laxus, became terrified of him and hope he never shows up again.
- Drinking Contest: Rangiku has a friendly one with Cana and Bacchus. While she gets drunk, the other two pass out.
- Driving Question: What would Zeref and the demons want with the two keys if they can't use them?
- Empathic Weapon: Ukitake explains that the two keys respond to Lucy and summon whoever she needs the most given the situation. When she feels really strong emotions, the white key practically begs her to use it. It summoned Grimmjow the Espada of Destruction when she wanted the demon twins destroyed for what they did to the Strauss siblings. It summoned Nnoitra the Espada of Despair when she was crushed with despair over seeing a village the demons burned to the ground.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Lucy, Levy, and Erza get slight crushes on Harribel, as do Gray and Gajeel. Lucy and Levy blush when they meet Rangiku, and pretty much every guy hits on her.
- Expecting Someone Taller: This is the team's reactions to the summonings of Wonderweiss, Rukia, and Hitsugaya. Of course, they prove to be more powerful than expected.
- Explaining Your Power to the Enemy:
- Xiphias Gladius explains how he's unstoppable in the water, and even comments that Erza would be able to beat him if they were on land. Naturally, after Harribel knocks him out of the water, Erza reminds him about what he said and kicks his ass.
- When Rangiku uses her Shikai, she explains what it is doing, but this doesn't stop her from pwning the air demon.
- Grimmjow and the demon twins make sure not to do this, but they figure out each other's powers anyway; Grimmjow through Awesomeness by Analysis, the demon twins through Power Copying.
- Face Doodling: Chelia, Wendy, Happy, and Carla draw on Juvia's face when she gets drunk.
- Flash Step: Several of the demons can do this, but the Bleach characters tend to be even faster than them.
- Girl on Girl Is Hot: The guys all do typical Nosebleed and other reactions when Cana playfully gropes Lucy. They do this again when Rangiku glomps Lucy and ends up straddling her with their breasts pressing together.
- Green-Eyed Epiphany: Natsu gets pissed off when Sting starts hitting on Lucy.
- Happiness in Slavery: Any Bleach character who is summoned is filled with an urge to protect and serve Lucy. While most are not happy with this, Rangiku embraces it and calls her "Master", though she does briefly question why she is feeling this way. Harribel later privately muses that she would prefer to serve Lucy over Aizen. Nnoitra of all people is also satisfied serving her, because she's hot.
- Home Field Advantage: The demon Xiphias Gladius' strength and stamina is constantly replenished as long as he's in the sea, not to mention he has control over water. Unfortunately for him, Harribel easily usurps his control over the sea and then knocks him onto land, making him easy pickings for the heroes.
- Hostage for MacGuffin: The demon twins capture Mirajane, Elfman, and Lisanna, then order Lucy to come to their hideout alone with the two keys for a trade. Lucy gives the keys to Virgo and has her hide underground, a wise precaution when the demons grab Lucy and try to take her keys as soon as she arrives. Virgo then sneak attacks the demons and hands her back the keys.
- I Choose to Stay: After summoning herself, Rangiku really wanted to do this, but similar to a Celestial Spirit, the Bleach characters cannot survive in Earthland indefinitely. After spending a day there, she was drained and had to return.
- I Don't Like the Sound of That Place: One of the jobs is in a town called Mortem. Lucy points out the foreboding name. Even more foreboding when Gajeel reveals that back when he was in Phantom Lord, he lost several comrades to that town.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: Daemon declared that he would "enjoy" Lucy, commenting it would be a waste to not do so. Fortunately, he is killed before he can even attempt this.
- I Kiss Your Hand:
- Lyon kisses Juvia's hand while hitting on her, pissing Gray off.
- After the redwood tree demon is defeated, an old man from the village they saved enthusiastically thanks them and kisses Erza and Laxus' hands, to Laxus' disgust.
- When his work is done, Urahara gives some comforting words to Levy and kisses her hand before departing. Gajeel doesn't take it well.
- Inconvenient Summons: A few of the Bleach characters, like Hitsugaya and Grimmjow, are annoyed that some girl called them to another world and they have to obey her.
- Invisible Jerkass: The air demon can blend into the wind to be pretty much invisible and intangible, and likes to taunt and play with his intended victims.
Levy: Where are you!? Show yourself!
: I am here, I am there, I am everywhere... (Evil Laugh
- Ironic Echo: When Xiphias Gladius attempts to kill Lucy, he says he will give her a peaceful death, "Am I not kind?" A few minutes later, Harribel uses this line on him while kicking his ass and promising to give him a quick death.
- It's All My Fault: In response to Daemon's death, the demons from the Book of Zeref come out of seclusion and start attacking innocent villages and such, saying they want Lucy's hide. Lucy gets depressed and blames herself, but Master Makarov quickly puts an end to that line of thinking, pointing out that the demons were just waiting for an excuse to attack and would have done so sooner or later, and now that they are no longer hidden, they can be defeated.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: When Gin is summoned, he asks what is going on. One of the attacking demons starts mouthing off, and Gin kills him, calling him rude.
Demon: Enough! Pleasantries and names don't matter anymore, soon enough, you're all gonna be dead! We're here to— (skewered)
- Lost Magic: The white and black keys are so old that only a few people in the Fairy Tail verse besides the demons knew about them, and Shinigami and Arrancar are considered barely remembered folk tales. Even Lucy's regular Celestial Spirits didn't know about them; when Lucy took the black key from Daemon, she asked Virgo the key's name so she could use it. Virgo didn't know, but commented that the energy coming from it felt like a God of Death. Fortunately, the black key responds to, "Open - Gate of the Death God!" Ukitake later tells her the white key will summon Arrancar.
- Loves the Sound of Screaming: Daemon.
Daemon: (to Lucy) Yes. Do it again. Scream for me again sweet heart. I can smell your tears. I can't wait to taste them.
- Magi Babble: Urahara is able to understand Levy's solid script magic terms, leaving everyone else baffled and thinking they are talking in another language.
- Magic by Any Other Name: According to Urahara, magic and reiatsu are pretty much the same thing. Every being has it, but only a few can properly channel it, and it has different effects depending on the user and how they apply it.
- Making a Splash: Xiphias Gladius controls the sea and can melt Gray's ice, but Harribel's control over the sea was stronger.
- Meaningful Name: Xiphias Gladius means "Sword Fish" in Latin. He's a Fish People-type demon and a swordsman who even wields a sword that looks like a swordfish.
- Mook Maker: The redwood tree demon spawns smaller, mobile tree demons.
- Mr. Exposition: Ukitake and later Rangiku explain a little bit about Shinigami and Soul Society to Lucy, while Grimmjow grudgingly explains a little bit about Arrancar and Hueco Mundo to her.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: After the party takes down a magic barrier blocking their path to Mortem, a demon thanks them, because now they can access the town too.
- No Name Given: The air demon and the demon twins.
- Noodle Incident: While fighting Natsu, Ignem says that he met Igneel a few years ago and fought him to a draw. When he's defeated and dying, he admits that he exaggerated; he lost and Igneel spared his life.
- No Ontological Inertia: When the redwood tree demon is killed, its tree demon spawn immediately revert to ordinary trees.
- Normal Fish in a Tiny Pond: The Bleach characters are more powerful than a majority of the Fairy Tail characters. Grimmjow privately muses that he could be seen as a God by the inhabitants of Fiore.
- Off with His Head!: How Rangiku finishes off the air demon.
- The Older Immortal: Yamamoto, Ukitake, and Kyoraku are among the only Shinigami who knew about the keys by virtue of having been around when they were created several hundred years ago. Similarly, Baraggan is one of the only Arrancar who knew about the keys. When asked how he knows by Harribel, he answers, "I've been around for a very, very long time."
- Playing with Fire: The demon Ignem controls flames. Similar to Zancrow, his flames can harm Natsu, but fortunately not Wonderweiss.
- Plot Tailored to the Party: As explained by Ukitake, the keys summon whoever Lucy needs the most for a given situation.
- Kenpachi had more brute force, speed, and durability than Daemon.
- Ukitake was summoned when Lucy needed information.
- Harribel usurped Xiphias Gladius' control over the sea.
- Wonderweiss absorbed the flames of Ignem.
- Rangiku's Shikai Heineko could locate and cut a demon that could spread out into the air to be nearly intangible. The Trimens commented on how convenient her ability was. The air demon kept them occupied for three days and they could not figure out how to hurt it, then Rangiku killed it in about a minute.
- Rukia and later Hitsugaya's ice powers easily kill the tree demons.
- Grimmjow's sheer brutality eventually overwhelms the demon twins.
- Urahara was able to analyze and help take down a magic barrier blocking the group's way.
- Gin uses his Bankai and swings the 13km sword around to wipe out a massive army of demons at once.
- Nnoitra's Hierro lets him tank a demon's blades.
- Power Copying: The demon twins can copy their opponent's power level and skills, but it takes some time to work. Since they started out weaker than him, Grimmjow got cocky, giving them enough time to match his power. He beats them anyway.
- Power Strain Blackout: Since summoning uses up the user's magic reserves proportional to the summoned being's power, summoning the Bleach characters takes a lot out of Lucy. Summoning Kenpachi for 2 minutes knocked her out for 3 days. Summoning Harribel for 5 minutes knocked her out for 8 hours. As the story progresses, she gets stronger and stronger, to the point that she can summon them for longer periods of time without passing out. Similarly to her regular Celestial Spirits, they can also summon themselves so they don't drain her magic.
- Pre-Asskicking One-Liner: After Xiphias Gladius arrogantly brags about his awesomeness, Harribel simply points out his Meaningful Name before saying, "How unfortunate for you. Sharks eat fish." Later, Levy gushes about how badass that line sounded.
- Restraining Bolt: The rule that Celestial Spirits cannot harm or kill their summoners applies to the Bleach characters as well. Grimmjow learns this to his chagrin when he tries to strangle Lucy and can't even move his arms toward her. Gin gets annoyed at not being able to harm her and tries to kill Levy instead. Lucy quickly orders him not to harm any of her friends and he's forced to obey.
- Schedule Slip: Around April/May 2014, the author's stored notes and outlines were deleted by a computer failure. She assured that she is not giving up on the story and must simply write them over again, but warned the readers that updates will not happen as frequently as a result.
- Secret Keeper: After being summoned, Harribel and Grimmjow don't tell anyone else in Hueco Mundo about it (Harribel because she figures someone like Aizen knowing about Lucy and the keys would be a bad idea, Grimmjow because he doesn't want anyone to know he served someone). Wonderweiss obviously couldn't tell anyone about it because he's mentally handicapped. Baraggan figures out what happened on his own and Harribel questions him on the nature of the keys (Baraggan definitely wouldn't tell Aizen because he hates him). They later tell the other Arrancar to warn them that they can be summoned at any time. After Gin was summoned, he keeps the secret as well, for his own reasons.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Poor Lucy has to endure everyone shipping her with everyone. Laxus in particular gets very annoyed and embarrassed about people shipping him with Lucy. Gajeel and Levy also do this at times.
- Ship Tease: In addition to Levy/Gajeel moments, Lucy gets teased with pretty much every character.
- So Proud of You: Capricorn and Virgo say this to Lucy on separate occasions.
- Talking Is a Free Action: Lucy and others often get into arguments, which leave the demons staring at them dumbfounded. Some of them are however smart enough to attack while they are talking.
- This Cannot Be!: Daemon does this when Lucy summons Kenpachi, saying that in the hundreds of years since they had first been created, no Celestial Spirit Mage had ever been powerful enough to activate the black or white keys. The demons typically have this reaction when overwhelmed by the Bleach characters.
- Tranquil Fury: Rangiku does this when the air demon impales Lucy with a piece of rock.
- A Twinkle in the Sky: This happens to Natsu when a drunk Rangiku punches him. Master Makarov wisely takes a careful step back.
- Twin Telepathy: The demon twins can do this to effortlessly coordinate their attacks.
- Underestimating Badassery:
- Everybody underestimated Wonderweiss when he was summoned, and paid for it.
- Natsu, Gray, Laxus, and Happy laugh at Hitsugaya when he is summoned and won't take him seriously because he looks like a kid. As a result, he shields Lucy and Erza with kido before unleashing his Bankai, freezing all the enemy demons and the boys. Granted, the cold didn't harm Gray, but he was humiliated that Hitsugaya's ice powers surpass his own.
- Grimmjow had a little trouble against the demon twins because he got cocky.
- We Can Rule Together:
- After realizing he can't beat her, Xiphias Gladius tries to save himself by offering Harribel the opportunity to join the demons. She doesn't listen.
Xiphias Gladius: W-wait! Wait! Why are you fighting for the humans?! They are weak! You should fight with us! For Zeref! He can give you power beyond your wildest imagination!
- Later, a demon offers Lucy the chance to join them and use the keys in service to Zeref. When she refuses, he shrugs and says he'll just have to kill her then.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Nobody really has any qualms about killing the demons, though they at least distinguish between the evil demons of Zeref and the good ones like the ones from Galuna Island.
- What the Hell, Hero?: After Hitsugaya defeats the redwood tree demon, Natsu excitedly challenges him to a fight. Erza smacks him and asks if he's forgotten already that Lucy can't keep a Shinigami or Arrancar summoned for long without tiring herself out.
- What Were You Thinking?: Upon learning that Lucy has no idea what the Arrancar are, Grimmjow points out the foolishness of summoning something you know nothing about.
- When Trees Attack: A demon possesses a redwood tree and terrorizes a forest. It also spawns smaller, mobile tree demons.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are:
- Lucy receives this message a lot from pretty much every friend she has.
- After Urahara helps take down the magic barrier, Levy laments that she's useless, since magic barriers are part of her specialty and she couldn't do anything about this one until Lucy summoned him, but he tells her not to say such things and that her potential is incredible. He also points out that she was the one who took down the barrier; all he did was teach her the correct method.
- You Are Not Alone: Lucy receives this message a lot from pretty much every friend she has.