"There, I uploaded my own picture for you. But this doesn't mean a thing, got it?!"
If you think of a Tsundere
, think of this person. Yes. Rie Kugimiya is a woman very well known for Tsundere roles, moreso if the said character is short
, and has a flat chest
. Fans started noticing her after she did Alphonse Elric
, but her role as Shana
is probably what made her popularity skyrocket. Like Norio Wakamoto
, Rie is also capable of voicing a lot of character types
, including boys, or Yandere
. She's also a skilled baton user, so yeah, she can kick your butt... but probably she gets dere-dere afterwards in apology.
Unfortunately, the fact that producers (particularly JC Staff
, the studio primarily responsible for her fame and typecasting in tsundere roles) LOVE pigeonholing
her as Shana Clones
(her best forte), she receives Hype Backlash
amongst fans, accusing her to be unable to voice anything outside that. For proof otherwise, see the list below. Her Fan Nickname
is Queen of Tsundere
and TsundeRie, which may either point on how she's pigeonholed in that role or how famous she is for playing it because she's that good at it. In fact, Shana
, and Taiga
are collectively known as the Four Tsundere Wonders.note
Recently, she seems to be branching out into different types.She is also available in GPS form to guide you
characters will almost certainly have a painfully adorable Cry Cute
Compare with Satsuki Yukino
, for a seiyuu of older/teen-aged Tsundere
. While the English dubbing side does not a "queen of Tsundere
" to speak of, her closest American counterpart is Laura Bailey
as both Rie Kugimiya and Laura Bailey shared two roles (Rise Kujikawa
and Marta Lualdi
, which both are not tsunderes
). Brittney Karbowski
shares the same typecast with Rie Kugimiya in terms of Tsundere
typecasting, except Brittney Karbowski's tsunderes have more variety and many of her tsundere
roles are usually not Token Mini-Moe
like Kugimiya's are (and vice versa with Karbowski's Token Mini-Moe
Some of her roles include:
- Agnese Sanctis (A Certain Magical Index)
- Aguri Madoka/Cure Ace (Doki Doki Pretty Cure)
- Airi Yukifune/Geji-nee note (Robotics;Notes)
- Aisha (Elsword)
- Alice Liddell (Heart No Kuni No Alice)
- Alicetia "Alice" Rain and Touka Tennouji (Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu Purezza and Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu Finale)
- Alisa Bannings (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha)
- Alphonse Elric and Catherine Elle Armstrong (Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood)
- She also does the panda Shao May in Brotherhood, meaning Rie gets to talk to herself for a few episodes.
- Ann the Runaway Girl (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure TV Anime)
- Arme (Grand Chase)
- Aria H. Kanzaki (Aria the Scarlet Ammo) — Quite possibly the Fifth Tsundere Wonder.
- Atsumi Miyagawa (Recorder and Randsell) — Non-tsundere and quite mature for her apparent age.
- Ayumi (In the Japanese dub of X Blades)
- Bakuhatsu Penguin (Kampfer fur de Liebe) — Yes, it's a Tsundere.
- Cassie Lockhart from (Freezing) — A definite Playing Against Type.
- Celebi (Pokémon: Zoroark: Master of Illusions)
- Celestine (Magna Carta 2), one of her non-Tsundere roles.
- Chaba (Gokicha), a Moe Anthropomorphism of a cockroach.
- Chika (Hidamari Sketch)
- Claire (Granado Espada)
- Cyberdoll Rena (Hand Maid May) — Given that this show predates Shana by five years, Kugimiya's tsundere typecasting is Older Than They Think.
- Diao (Kingdom)
- Ein/Ecthel (Riviera: The Promised Land)
- Eliza Cassan (Japanese version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution)
- Happy (Fairy Tail) — Ironically has a crush on the Tsundere.
- Haruka Sawamura (Ryu Ga Gotoku series)
- Hasta/ Hastur the Unspeakable (Haiyore! Nyarko-san) — Another Playing Against Type, as a sweet, effeminate young boy. Actually, he's Older Than He Looks.
- Hotaru Imai (Gakuen Alice)
- Ikuto Noguchi (Digimon Savers)
- Iori Minase (The Idolmaster)
- Io in the Puchimasu! subseries
- Kachirou Kato (The Prince of Tennis)
- Kagura (Gintama)
- Kaoru Daichi (Ladies Versus Butlers!)
- Koboshi Uematsu (Pita-Ten)
- Kooh (Pangya)
- Koto (Kyousogiga)
- Kurumi Hazuki/White Angel (Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel)
- Kurumi Minowa (Binbogami Ga)
- Laura Forester (Brooklynn Proulx) in the Japanese dub of Piranha 3D
- Latvia and Liechtenstein (Axis Powers Hetalia) — Both are as un-tsundere as you can get.
- Lena in the Japanese version of the MMORPG Dragon Nest
- Louise Françoise le Blanc de la Vallière (The Familiar of Zero) — She also sings all four ending themes.
- Marta Lualdi (Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World)
- Mary Godwin (XenoSaga Game Series)
- Mayu (Nekogami Yaoyorozu Drama CD)
- Melona and Rana (Queen's Blade), and also Weiss in the Queen's Gate Spiral Chaos game.
- Miharu Rokujou (Nabari No Ou)
- Miyabi (Ninin Ga Shinobuden)
- Mika Kujiin (Kanamemo)
- Mimi (Mnemosyne)
- Mimi Usami (Ookami-san)
- Mithra and The Girl that looks like her (Asura's Wrath) — Playing Against Type again, this time being the daughter and Morality Pet of the Tsundere.
- Miu Furinji (Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple) — Replacing the late Tomoko Kawakami for the new OVAs.
- Mizore Shirayuki (Rosario + Vampire) — A rare Rei Ayanami Expy role for her.
- MMS-Type Santa Claus Tsugaru in Busou Shinki: Battle Rondo
- Monica Adenauer (Yakitate!! Japan)
- Nagi Sanzenin (Hayate the Combat Butler)
- Nao (Mugen Souls Z)
- Nemu Kurotsuchi (Another Rei Ayanami Expy), Karin Kurosaki, Lily (Bleach)
- Nena Trinity and Mena Carmine (Gundam 00)
- Nora in Noragami
- Palom & Porom (Final Fantasy IV DS)
- Peppa Pig in the Japanese dub of Peppa Pig
- Phantasos (Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas)
- (Female) Pikachu in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity trailer.
- Precis F. Neumann (Star Ocean: Second Evolution)
- Primrose Everdeen (Willow Shields) in the Japanese dub of The Hunger Games
- Riko Kurahashi (Love Lab) Drama CD, replaced by Manami Numakura for the anime.
- Ringo Kinoshita (Otogi Juushi Akazukin)
- Riro (G-On Riders) — A non-tsundere and downright evil little girl role.
- Rise Kujikawa (Persona 4) — Actually, this role is pegged down as Anti-Tsundere. Rise herself was also redesigned during development to look more like her voice actress.
- Rizel Iwaki (Rizelmine) — A sort-of-childlike character, but about as far from tsundere as it gets. She also plays four other characters who show up near the end of the series, leading to many Talking To Herself moments.
- Rose (Dragon Crisis!) — Dere side up this time.
- Ruby Gloom in the Japanese dub of Ruby Gloom
- Sabato (Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan)
- Satoru Wamiya (RDG: Red Data Girl)
- Sena (Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to)— Another Shana Clone, but less romance-driven than Height Angst.
- Shana (Shakugan no Shana) - The originator of "Urusai, urusai, urusai", also Trope Namer for Shana Clone.
- Shannon (Umineko: When They Cry); more of a Shrinking Violet Meido. Or so you'd think.
- Sugar (One Piece)
- Taiga Aisaka (Toradora!)
- Taiki (The Twelve Kingdoms)
- Ted (younger voice) in the Japanese dub of Ted
- Tet in the animated version of No Game No Life
- Tio (Zatch Bell!)
- Toramaru Utsunomiya (Inazuma Eleven) — Another Playing Against Type, as a friendly young boy.
- Touko Matsudaira (Maria-sama Ga Miteru)
- Tsukuyomi (Mahou Sensei Negima! ~Journey to the Magic World~) — An alternate Playing Against Type.
- Tsuzura (Akai Ito)
- The Unused character (Kill Me Baby)
- Yua Sakurai (Shugo Chara!): Again, goes against the type. A lot. Listen towards Secret Princess and be surprised that it's the same voice actor.
- Yuina Oosawa (Koi To Senkyo To Chocolate)
- Yuki Kataoka (Saki)
- Yukimura Sanada (gender-flipped and as tiny as the rest) (Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls)
- Yurika Hanayamada (Chocotto Sister)
- Yuuhi Katagiri (Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka)
Tropes associated with the Tsundere characters voiced by Rie Kugimiya:
Tropes associated with Rie Kugimiya's work in general:
- Cry Cute: A lot of her non-Tsundere roles also follow this trope.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: No really, she's the best example when it comes to the Japanese voice acting block. To the point that in the Pixiv wiki article about her, her Tsundere roles are listed separately from her non-Tsundere roles.
- Playing Against Type: Anything having her voicing a non-Tsundere character falls into this nowadays (yes, including Alphonse, even though she had this role way before her typecasting).
- Relationship Voice Actor: A lot with Yui Horie, as well as some with Satoshi Hino, Sayaka Ohara, and Romi Park.
- Woman of a Thousand Voices: Surprisingly, she's capable of a wide vocal range, ranging from non-Tsundere girls to young boys and even mature women. Her potential is a lot wider than studios and audiences tend to recognize, though still far from the extreme range of seasoned veteran "multiclasses" like the aforementioned Romi Park, who manages to range freely between the likes of Edward Elric and Osaki Nana throughout her career.