chronicles the adventures of the title character, a cockroach who moved to Hokkaido in order to make friends with humans. Unfortunately, while the audience sees Gokicha as a cute cockroach girl
, the humans around her see her as, well, an actual cockroach, and react accordingly.
Her sort-of-best-friend is fellow cockroach Chaba.Gokicha
began as a couple of doujin, before getting serialised as a monthly 4-koma
. In September 2012, a web animation began airing on Nico Nico Douga
- Alternate Continuity: The doujin and 4-koma take slightly different paths; in the doujin, Gokicha meets Chaba while travelling to Hokkaido by train, while in the 4-koma, Gokicha arrives by boat, and meets Chaba after spending a while in Hokkaido. The web animation follows the doujin.
- Butt Monkey: Gokicha. On the one hand, she is a cockroach, so it's understandable, but on the other, seeing the kind of violence humans normally deliver to cockroaches delivered to a Little Bit Beastly cockroach girl makes things rather more distressing.
- Iron Butt Monkey: She gets stomped on, sprayed with insecticide, swatted, pounced on by cats, even survives a Venus Fly Trap, and she still manages to keep trucking. Truth in Television as roaches are really that persistent.
- Cats Are Mean: Played straight then averted with Chocolate.
- Creepy Cockroach: Chaba and Gokicha avert this, but humans still treat them as pests anyway (as they're not in on the audience's perspective).
- Does Not Like Shoes: Well, not so much "not like" as they don't know the concept of them. They're roaches after all.
- Hammer Space: Gokicha can store a lot in her dress, including items bigger than her.
- Hidden Eyes: The part-timer lady, a recurring character, has them. A subversion, since she doesn't have any kind of emotional distress while she is in that state, but...
- Uh-Oh Eyes: When her eyes ARE visible, Gokicha must run.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Gokicha's main goal.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Chaba.
- Little Bit Beastly: How Gokicha and Chaba usually look to the audience: humans with two antennae and hair shaped like a cockroach's tegmina.
- Mouse World
- Neat Freak: Gokicha. This pisses off Chaba to no end. This is actually a Genius Bonus and Truth in Television: A little-known fact about roaches is that they clean themselves obsessively, similar to cats. Naturally they're not known to clean up their environments, but it's not hard to imagine that one might try if they were Little Bit Beastly cockroach moe girls.
- Sliding Scale of Animal Communication: Level 3. Cockroaches have their own language, but can't be heard by humans.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Chaba and Gokicha respectively.
- They also have some elements of Red Oni, Blue Oni. Amusingly, Gokicha (the blue) has red eyes while Chaba (the red) has blue eyes.
- What Measure Is a Non-Cute?: Inverted. Chaba and Gokicha are cockroaches portrayed as cute humanoid girls.
- Why Do You Keep Changing Jobs?: The part-time lady seems to work at every single business or store that Gokicha wanders into. Every. Single. One.