chronicles the adventures of the title character, a cockroach who moved to Hokkaido in order to make friends with humans. Unfortunately, while the audience sees Gokicha as a cute cockroach girl
, the humans around her see her as, well, an actual cockroach, and react accordingly.
Her sort-of-best-friend is fellow cockroach Chaba.Gokicha
began as a couple of doujin, before getting serialised as a monthly 4-koma
. In September 2012, a web animation began airing on Nico Nico Douga
- Alternate Continuity: The doujin and 4-koma take slightly different paths; in the doujin, Gokicha meets Chaba while travelling to Hokkaido by train, while in the 4-koma, Gokicha arrives by boat, and meets Chaba after spending a while in Hokkaido. The web animation follows the doujin.
- Butt Monkey: Gokicha. On the one hand, she is a cockroach, so it's understandable, but on the other, seeing the kind of violence humans normally deliver to cockroaches delivered to a Little Bit Beastly cockroach girl makes things rather more distressing.
- Iron Butt Monkey: She gets stomped on, sprayed with insecticide, swatted, pounced on by cats, even survives a Venus Fly Trap, and she still manages to keep trucking. Truth in Television as roaches are really that persistent.
- Creepy Cockroach: Chaba and Gokicha avert this, but humans still treat them as pests anyway (as they're not in on the audience's perspective).
- Does Not Like Shoes: Well, not so much "not like" as they don't know the concept of them. They're roaches after all.
- Hammer Space: Gokicha can store a lot in her dress, including items bigger than her.
- Hidden Eyes: The part-timer lady, a recurring character, has them. A subversion, since she doesn't have any kind of emotional distress while she is in that state, but...
- Uh-Oh Eyes: When her eyes ARE visible, Gokicha must run.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Gokicha's main goal.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Chaba.
- Little Bit Beastly: How Gokicha and Chaba usually look to the audience: humans with two antennae and hair shaped like a cockroach's tegmina.
- Mouse World
- Neat Freak: Gokicha, in spite of being a cockroach. This pisses off Chaba to no end.
- Sliding Scale of Animal Communication: Level 3. Cockroaches have their own language, but can't be heard by humans.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Chaba and Gokicha respectively.
- They also have some elements of Red Oni, Blue Oni. Amusingly, Gokicha (the blue) has red eyes while Chaba (the red) has blue eyes.
- What Measure Is a Non-Cute?: Inverted. Chaba and Gokicha are cockroaches portrayed as cute humanoid girls.
- Why Do You Keep Changing Jobs?: The part-time lady seems to work at every single business or store that Gokicha wanders into. Every. Single. One.