Characters: You Only Live Twice
Characters specific to You Only Live Twice. For those in the entire film franchise, see here.
Ernst Stavro Blofeld
Played by: Donald PleasenceYou Only Live Twice is both the start of Blofeld as a central villain in the movies and the end of his role in the books.
- Archenemy: To Sean Connery's Bond, definitely.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: The vertical scar over his right eye.
- Psycho for Hire: SPECTRE is hiring out its services to the Chinese.
- Red Right Hand: A disfigured eye and scar. His baldness has also become synonymous with the character in a manner similar to Lex Luthor.
- Sorting Algorithm of Evil: Blofeld is the mastermind in this movie but he's still behind a number of minions.
- The Spook: The film version. (The book version gets a very detailed backstory)
- Terrorist Without A Cause: The Chinese are paying him to start WW 3.
- War for Fun and Profit: Mostly profit; he was paid to try and start WW 3. He even extorted money out of his client in the middle of his plan.
Played by: Tetsurō Tamba (丹波 哲郎)The head of the Japanese secret service.
- Adaptational Heroism: In the novel, Tanaka is essentially a proudly Axis gangster who ended up on the "right" side as a quirk of post-War politics. The less savory aspects of his character are not seen in the film.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Can also be considered as the Japanese equivalent of Q.
- Home Base: A hidden high tech office dedicated to "receive" his guests (after said guests' fall through a funnel) and a private underground train.
- Kidnapped by an Ally: The way Bond meets him for the first time.
- Politically Incorrect Hero: "In Japan, men come first. Women come second."
Played by: Akiko Wakabayashi (若林 映子)An agent of the Japanese secret service. She is Bond's first contact in Japan and assists him.
- Action Girl: For her limited screentime, she manages to pull quite the nice car stunts.
- Cool Car: Toyota 2000GT
- Kidnapped by an Ally: She lures Bond into what seems to be a trap... which is actually the way to bring him to meet Tanaka.
Played by: Mie Hama (浜美枝)One of the agents working for Tanaka, she is assigned to partner Bond after the death of Aki. She "marries" Bond in a mock wedding ceremony as James goes undercover, posing as a Japanese fisherman. Bond and Kissy eventually find Blofeld's secret base and Kissy is sent to alert Tanaka. While swimming to her destination, she is pursued and fired upon by a SPECTRE helicopter, but her experience as a Ama diver note enables her to dive underwater and stay there long enough to convince her pursuers that she drowned.
- Action Girl: She joins Tanaka and his ninjas raiding the SPECTRE volcano. All while still wearing her cute bikini.
- All There in the Script: Kissy's name isn't mentioned once in the movie.
- Hollywood Homely: Tanaka claims this is the case, though it may just be to tease Bond.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: In her first scene.
Played by: Teru Shimada (島田テル)A Japanese industrialist secretly allied with SPECTRE.
- Blofeld Ploy: Happens twice to him. The first time, it leads to Helga Brandt's execution, the second time, Blofeld aims his gun straight at Bond, before shooting Osato.
Played by: Karin DorOsato's secretary and SPECTRE assassin, codename Number 11.
- Almighty Janitor: She plays Osato's faithful secretary in the daylight, but not only is she a skilled assassin, she has a code number and Osato doesn't, which implies she's on the board and outranks him.
- Death by Sex: Since she had sex with Bond rather than killing him immediately, she gets executed by Blofeld for her failure.
- Expy: Of Fiona Volpe from Thunderball.
- Fed to the Beast: Her punishment for not killing Bond is being fed to Blofeld's piranhas.
- High Heel-Face Turn: Subverted. She sleeps with Bond, but doesn't join him. She still gets executed for not eliminating Bond.
- Torture Technician: Implied when she threatens Bond with surgical knives.
Played by: Ronald RichBlofeld's personal bodyguard.
- Fed to the Beast: Bond throws him into the pirahna pool.Bond: "Bon appetit!"
- You Shall Not Pass: He covers Blofeld's retreat.
Played by: Peter Fanene MaiviaA henchman working for Osato. Bond kills him after a brief but tough fight.
- Made of Iron: At least it seems so until Bond knocks him dead with a statue.
- Slasher Smile: When he grabs the katana.
Played by: Charles GrayA veteran British field-agent in Japan, he had lived there for 28 years. Bond is taken to his estate (which is an odd hybrid of old English comfort and Japanese style) for information about Tanaka, but Henderson is killed before saying anything further.
- Artificial Limbs: He has a wooden leg.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Stabbed In the Back by one of Osato's mooks. His role was much bigger in the book, where he was a foul-mouthed Australian.
- You Look Familiar: Charles Gray later went on to play Blofeld in Diamonds Are Forever.
Played by: Tsai Ching (周采芹)A Chinese woman seen in the pre-credit sequence. After being in bed with Bond, she presses a button on the wall flipping the bed into an upright position with Bond still on it. She then lets in a couple of gunmen who shoot at Bond. The killing, however, is staged.
- Honey Trap: Or its seems so.
- You Look Familiar: No one could recognize her due to her age, but the actress played one of Bond's poker adversaries in Casino Royale (2006).