open/close all folders
"Will I still be the same person once I uncover the truth?"
The main protagonist, Essi is a girl with psychic powers whose mother died under questionable circumstances in an accident ten years ago. Essi's own memory surrounding the event is quite foggy itself; the only thing left behind from that day was a USB-drive disguised as a necklace given to her by her mother, and the recurring dream of a boy named "X". When she is invited to Xen Institute, Essi becomes determined to not only solve the recent murder case, but to finally unlock the secrets of the X-Note, and uncover the mystery of her mother's own mysterious death.
- Abandoned Playground: Her most precious place to visit, based on the fact that she used to visit it with her mother.
- Badass Adorable: When she trains hard enough, this trope comes into play. It's most noticeable in Oure's path, when she's actually able to deflect Loil's bullets.
- Beware the Nice Ones: In Anon's Bad End, as Loil learns the hard way.
- Closer to Earth: Compared to her Love Interests. Her main personality trait is that she is down-to-earth and level-headed.
- Disappeared Dad: Confirmed to be dead by Essi in her conversation with Oure on Friday 13th.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best
- Friendless Background: She didn't get along with many of the children in the orphanage, and so she was alone most of the time.
- Forgotten Birthday: In Oure's route. Though really, he just messed up the day that her real birthday was on, and tried surprising her a day earlier than he should have.
- Forgotten First Meeting: She's met Oure and Anon in the past. Yuon is the only one she didn't know before, likely due to him leaving the Xen Institute relatively early on.
- Hair Decorations: Her long ribbons.
- Hime Cut
- I Never Told You My Name: With Rexus; she's a bit surprised that he knows her name when she never mentioned it to him.
- I Will Wait for You: Oure's Good Ending; the bonus scene after the credits even depicts Essi's feelings as she waits for him to wake up.
- Jack of All Stats: Essi is one of the few known psychics to be able to use psychokinesis, clairvoyance, and telepathy. That said, she doesn't particularly excel in any of these different branches of psychic power, and she has to train everyday to be decent in each category.
- Little Black Dress
- Madness Mantra: YOU KILLED HIM! YOU KILLED HIM! YOU KILLED HIM!
- Memento MacGuffin: Her X-Note USB necklace. However, the full secrets of the X-Note are only revealed in one route. The others have Essi give up solving it, choosing not to uncover the mystery surrounding her mother's death.
- Mind over Matter: One of her abilities.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Essi feels more awkward being around Anon when he's being straight-forward and serious than when he's being a playful pervert.
- Orphan's Ordeal: It's her main motivation in solving the mysteries surrounding Xen Institute.
- Power Floats: At the end of Anon's Good Ending, though Essi initially believes that he is capable of doing this.
- Psychic Powers: Psychokinesis, clairvoyance, and telepathy, to be specific.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: In Anon's Bad Ending, she loses touch with her sanity and ends up killing Loil in a fit of rage.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: With Anon.
- Sleep Cute: In Oure's path.
- Telepathy: One of her abilities.
- Tragic Keepsake: The X-Note necklace that her mother left her on the day of the accident.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: The reason she doesn't remember her early childhood is to spare herself the trauma of X's suicide.
- Tsundere: In Yuon's route as a Type B, and in Anon's route as a Type A.
- Was It All a Lie?: When she finds out Yuon was manipulating her feelings and using her to tap into his own psychic abilities, she levels this accusation at him.
- Why Can't I Hate You?: When Essi chooses to go talk to Yuon in Anon's path, she can't bring herself to betray Anon to Yuon as Scid's killer, as she has grown to love him too much.
- Your Approval Fills Me with Shame: Inverted. Essi initially commends Anon's information gathering skills, only for him to proudly ask if she's impressed. Essi regrets praising him.
"How long can I struggle when everything I believe for is denied?"
A serious young man with many connections at Xen Institute, Yuon is the student who invited Essi to investigate the murder of Dr. Scid, who happens to be Yuon's father. Coolly calculating and somewhat manipulative, he pushes Essi to transfer into Xen Institute, and encourages her to make use of her psychic abilities to help the investigation along. He is hard-working, albeit very messy, and is often found in his office, surrounded by papers.
- The Ace
- Adorably Precocious Child: When he was a kid.
- Adorkable: Revealed to be such later on in his route.
- Be Yourself: What Word of God states to be the message behind his route.
- Big Little Brother: Seeing as how Oure hasn't aged, Yuon has inevitably ended up physically older.
- Birds of a Feather: Essi notes that she can empathize with his withdrawn personality, having done the same after her mother died.
- Blessed with Suck: Involuntary gaining the powers of other psychics isn't so great when you're surrounded by them and can't control them, hence why he was removed from Xen Institute as a child.
- Blood from the Mouth: In his Bad End.
- Broken Ace: He strove to become an amazing student in an attempt to gain his father's attention, only for his father to end up dying, leaving Yuon to feel like everything he's done in his life to be pointless.
- Clear My Name: The purpose of Essi investigating his father's death. Though that's only half the story.
- Comically Serious: His route involves a number of jokes at his expense.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Cuteness Proximity: He's pretty obsessed with Mr. Puffy. His bonus scene reveals that for him, it was a symbol of happiness, which is why he became so fixated on it.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Yuon's mother died when he was very young, and his relationship with his father has been poor ever since they both got news of his older brother's death. Since then Yuon has buried himself in academics and chess in order to fill the void left behind. His inability to connect to his father also led to an inability to connect with others, leaving him as the Socially-Awkward Hero that he is. Heck, even at the beginning of the game, he states that his main motivation behind solving Scid's murder isn't to find his father's killer, but to clear the police's suspicion of him as the culprit.
- Declaration of Protection: Towards Essi in his Good End.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: Everyone he's cared about and/or strove to impress has died by the present, leaving him to feel like he's lost his way. He admits in his route that he doesn't actually care about finding his father's murderer, as it wouldn't change anything; hiring Essi was just a distraction from his issues.
- Foil: Aside from Yuon noting how opposite in personality he is from his brother—Oure, who gets along with everyone, compared to Yuon, who can't connect with others—Oure also comments on their differences in Yuon's good ending: whereas Oure has always settled for just dreaming, Yuon never gives up on his goals, which Oure admires him for.
- Foreshadowing: While they could be chalked up to him being a secretly nice guy, there are hints that he's not really interested in solving any of the mysteries, despite hiring Essi supposedly for that purpose. Namely, whenever he tells Essi not to push herself too hard over getting the job done and that there's no time limit, even though you'd think he'd want to get this solved as quickly as possible, what with him being the prime suspect for the murders. The longer Essi takes, the longer Yuon has an excuse to keep her around.
- Hidden Depths: A pretty talented artist, though he never pursued the craft because he thought his father wouldn't approve.
- Irony: As Yuon himself notes, it's ironic that someone as stiff and inflexible as him would have the ability of 'Adapt'.
- Manipulative Bastard: Not as much as he initially seems (or was originally intended to be, according to Word of God), but it's there at times.
- Meaningful Name: "Yuon" is a corruption of the word "young". This hints not only at his younger brother status, but also at his rather immature tastes, despite his dislike of being treated as a child.
- Memento MacGuffin: His Mr. Puffy keychain that he received from his brother, as well as his own X-Note USB.
- Missing Mom: She died when he was an infant.
- No Social Skills: Essi's initial impression of him leads her to believe that he is a typical Manipulative Bastard, but as she continues to interact with him, it becomes clear that Yuon just doesn't know how to properly interact with others.
- Not So Stoic
- Orphan's Ordeal: Having lost his family over the course of his life has messed the guy up.
- Parental Neglect: He's always been overlooked by his father in favour of his brother—first, because his brother was ill, and then again because his brother lived at the institute where their father was working (while Yuon was sent away for his own good), and then once more because his brother died, leaving his father unable to cope with the grief. Even afterwards, his father admits that he doesn't know how to talk to Yuon anymore and fears that Yuon blames him for everything.
- Perpetual Frowner: His default expression, though it's only a mild frown, and it's clear that he just has trouble with communicating with others.
- Poor Communication Kills: Arguably, the conflict in his path comes down to this. He leaves Essi in the dark about many things surrounding the case, with the most tension being caused by omitting the fact that he possessed psychic abilities as well. Taken to its most literal extreme in his bad end, and with Essi following suit. Because she is suffering from her own Heroic BSOD due to his death, she doesn't defend herself when the authorities arrive on the scene and start accusing her of murdering him.
- Power Copying: His ability.
- Shared Family Quirks: He's a lot like his father, down to their fondness for chess.
- Smart People Play Chess: He's the reigning national champion.
- Socially-Awkward Hero: Has a very hard time communicating with others, as he isn't really aware that being a Perpetual Frowner sends out the wrong signals.
- The Stoic
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Aloof and stuck with a frown on his face, but he's ultimately a caring person, even if his means of showing it can be stilted.
- Taking the Bullet: For Essi in his Bad End.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Trademark Favorite Food: Cream puffs.
- Trash of the Titans: His office is a complete mess, save for his work area. According to Yuon's logic, he doesn't use the rest of it, so why does he need to keep it tidy?
- Troubled, but Cute
- Unwitting Pawn: Of Loil, who (primarily For the Evulz) manipulates him into becoming the prime suspect for his father's death.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Strives for his father's approval, leading to his Ace qualities.
- When He Smiles: Essi is taken aback when she first sees him smile.
- Will Not Tell a Lie: Or rather, he will never break a promise. It can be dismissed as a casual remark when he claims this early on in the game (and Essi is doubtful), but his route reveals that everyone he's loved ended up breaking their promises to him, which he's never really forgiven them for.
- You Are Not Alone: What Essi tells him in his route.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Young and in Charge: He actually inherited Xen Institute from his father, as his mother died when he was young.
- Younger Than They Look: Yuon is fifteen, making him barely older than Essi. Yet he looks very mature for his age, and has a large responsibility in running the school even as a student at Xen Institute.
"Dreaming is the only thing I can do."
A young-looking boy whom Essi meets while wandering in the corridors. He is very innocent and carefree, and takes an earnest interest in helping Essi when he can, though usually he is of little help himself. Childlike in appearance and demeanor, Essi quickly and easily befriends him, and enjoys spending her freetime talking with him.
- Astonishingly Appropriate Appearance: Subverted. With his completely white-clad Mystical White Hair status, news of his death ten years ago, and his disappearance in the middle of his route, you'd be forgiven for thinking that he was actually a ghost.
- An Astral Projection, Not a Ghost
- Astral Projection
- Behind the Mask: Oure wears a cheery disposition when he talks to Essi, but in truth, he is very upset and resentful of his situation.
- Big Brother Instinct: In Yuon's arc, he appears just in time to help Yuon and say his goodbyes before fading away. He also acts as a big brother figure to Xirr.
- Birds of a Feather: With Essi. Essi even thinks that they enjoy each other's company because they share the same kind of loneliness.
- Broken Bird: This cutie has been broken many, many times before.
- But Now I Must Go: Late in his route, he fades away in front of Essi, then comes back to spend some of his final moments with her. In the Bad Ending, he stays gone. In the denouement of the Good Ending, there is a Flashback to when he is fading away the second time. Essi catches him as he is fading in the middle of the night, and he manages to get in a few last words. He tells her that he won't say good-bye, because he believes that they will meet again one day.
- Cheerful Child: When he was young, and it shows even now.
- Closed Circle: He is literally unable to leave one of Xen Institute's corridors. This might be due to the fact that, even though he uses his ability regularly, he is still not aware that he is alive and thus can't practice expanding his range.
- Cloud Cuckoolander
- Convenient Coma: While it is convenient for the story, in the end, this is subverted. The doctors who tend to him in the hospital say that he has a very slim chance of waking up, and that it was a miracle that he was still alive after being in a coma for ten years. Nevertheless, Essi is determined to wait for the day when he finally wakes up.
- Cool Big Bro: To his younger brother when they were little.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Dark and Troubled Past: He is Yuon's older brother, and the closest friend that X had in the Institute. At a young age, he developed diabetes, genetic from his dead mother. One day while standing up to the other children who were bullying X, he also got hurt, triggering X's Berserk Button. Caught in the fight, Oure fell into a coma afterward, and believed himself to be dead. Confusing his Astral Projection with being a ghost, he tried wandering the school only to find that he couldn't leave the corridors, and he grew resentful of watching the clouds pass by in the outside world, while he himself was trapped there.
- The Ditz: Occasionally seems this way in his interactions with Essi, when in this day and age, he doesn't know what a cell phone or USB drive is, though this is justified.
- Escapism: Oure's Astral Projection manifests because of a desire to escape the restrictions of his physical body.
- Friendless Background: Except for X.
- Half Truth: He is telling the truth to Essi about not heing able to leave Xen Institute, but he fails to mention that he literally cannot move anywhere beyond the corridors.
- Happy Birthday to You: Oure sings the actual version to Essi on what he believes to be her birthday, sans addressing her near the end of the song.
- Heartwarming Orphan
- Heroic Albino
- Hidden Depths: Hints at this with a few of his conversations with Essi, but very notably, he mentions early on that when she met him, he found a sense of new hope.
- Hopeless With Tech: He is very ignorant of newer technology; although he sees it all around him, he has no idea what each device is called or how they work.
- Ill Boy: He has always had a weak body from a young age. Also, he has diabetes, though he never appears to have to take an insulin shot. It's justified in that since he is really an Astral Projection, he understandably doesn't have this limitation, though his physical body still needs its daily medication.
- Little Big Brother: Due to his lack of aging, he appears much younger than his younger brother, Yuon.
- Meaningful Name: His name, "Oure", is supposed to be based off the word "pure". The "o" at the beginning is supposed to tip off the fact that he is Yuon's older brother.
- Meet Cute: With Essi both in the present and when they were younger.
- Memento MacGuffin: The Mr. Puffy keychain that he left for his brother.
- Never Learned to Read: More like he has trouble remembering how, since it's been a while since he had the chance.
- Nice Guy
- Not Quite Dead
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He actually does know a little more about Xen Institute than he first lets on; for the most part though, he's as clueless as Essi.
- Older Than They Look: He is 18.
- Photographic Memory: Claims to have had one when he was younger, though nowadays he admits that his memory is pretty bad and he often misses the point of what others are saying.
- Posthumous Character: Subverted.
- Stepford Smiler: Type A
- Sweet Tooth: But he can't enjoy it.
- Tomato Surprise: The Oure that Essi has been visiting is an Astral Projection, and he did not die ten years ago as everyone else had once thought; he was in a coma and kept alive under the Institute. This is deducible with the hints given in his route, however.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Parfaits.
- You Can See Me?: Though when Essi first discovers that he lacks a physical body, he becomes transparent, as he should have been.
"[Insanity] is the only way for me to remain sane in this crazy world."
A playfully annoying student whom Essi meets during her visit to the computer lab, Anon takes great pleasure in tormenting Essi for his own personal enjoyment. He is also a skilled hacker and spends his time in the computer lab digging up info about the institute and other students as well. He offers to help Essi in her investigation whenever she needs it, though she often finds him to be obnoxious to work with most of the time. He is the boy named "X".
- Amnesiac Dissonance
- Because You Were Nice to Me: His relationship with Oure when the two were younger.
- Behind the Mask: Hides his original personality: a void.
- Blood from the Mouth: In his Bad End.
- Casanova Wannabe
- Cat Smile: Sports this expression when he feels especially playful.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Wavers between this and Handsome Lech, in that while he never touches Essi, he also doesn't take a hint when she wants him to stop being perverted.
- Conveniently an Orphan: This allows him to sneak around Xen Institute at any hour he pleases.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Probably the darkest one out of all three Love Interests; his past was so traumatic that he was a Death Seeker at the age of six. He arguably needed to create different personalities for himself in order to keep from going completely insane. Now it sort of holds him together, but at the same time, he feels an emptiness in his true personality.
- Death Seeker: When he was a lot younger. And he is still this way now, as it's hinted in his route that when Essi chooses to pursue Yuon or Oure, and thus does not interact with him beyond her initial visits, he gives up his Quest for Identity and chooses to die.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Gets these whenever his other more cynical personality takes over.
- The Fool: He really does all he can to act silly and get a rise out of Essi. Then it's subverted.
- Handsome Lech: Takes the time to sexually harass Essi whenever things are going too well.
- Heroic Sacrifice: In his Bad Ending.
- Hidden Depths: Comes off as a total playboy wannabe at first, but on his dates with Essi, he shows hints of depth or rather, his lack of it in his responses when Essi is considerate to him.
- Hey, You!: Never calls Essi by name until a certain point in his Good Ending.
- I Have Many Names: He tells Essi that names himself something new whenever he needs it, though he sticks with "Anon" throughout the game, making it a Meaningful Name.
- I'm A Monster
- Journey to the Center of the Mind
- Kick the Dog: When Anon reveals his Lack of Empathy, Essi tells him that it can't be true, as they spent lots of fun times together. When she asks if it was all a lie, Anon shoots back asking what she would do if he said that it was a lie. This sends Essi straight to tears, and when Anon asks if he should lie to make her feel better, she cries even more.
- Knowledge Broker
- Love Hotel: Continually mentions taking Essi to one. She reacts as well as to be expected.
- Meaningful Name: As a Playful Hacker who is always found in the computer lab, and spends his time on forums to discover new gossip and information, "Anon" fits well enough. Even more so, his name refers to his lack of identity, and the emptiness he feels when thinking about who he is and where he came from. This also hints at him being the "unknown" or X.
- Obfuscating Stupidity
- Playful Hacker: Proven when he pretends to recite Essi's bust size back to her, and later offers a "special service" in which he looks up her three sizes.
- And then he uses this info to buy her a black bra for her birthday...
- Power Incontinence: He has difficulty controlling his powers for the most part, as they tend to manifest unconsciously. However, his emotions and the amount of control he has over them also result in this, so he is at least aware of what he's doing when this happens.
- Quest for Identity: His reason for being at Xen Institute.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Given to Loil. Anon concludes that he's a sad and delusional person who is driven by his envy of psychics and children.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: The nature of his power is dangerous, though he is not very evil himself.
- Repressed Memories: As well as him having a great disconnection between all of his collective memories, leading to his Quest for Identity in the first place. However, even though it's repressed, he still subconsciously remembers that torture that Scid subjected him to.
- Running Gag: He tends to mention taking Essi to a love hotel whenever he tries to be romantic.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: His relationship with Essi.
- Split Personality: Although his true problem is much closer to having actual schizophrenia, Anon appears to display this trope late into his route when his Super-Powered Evil Side subconsciously activates.
- Stepford Smiler: Type B. He picked up this behavior from the merchants he traveled with.
- Supreme Chef: He has terrible taste in food, though.
- Taking the Bullet: For Essi in his Bad End.
- The Tease: A rare male version with Essi, but she's usually just irritated with this.
- The Trickster
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
A mysterious person who watches over Essi from afar. Rexus' entire persona is shrouded in mystery, and even though Essi is able to obtain a few answers from him regarding himself, she's unsure how much of it is true. Nevertheless, Rexus is helpful and friendly, providing a friend for Essi to confide in, as well as some vital clues needed to solve the mystery.
For more information, see Area X
- Adorkable: In his first spoken appearance and in a few of Essi's interactions with him after that. When they first met he took her bluff seriously and thought she was going to call the police.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: A lot more competent than he first appears, initial appearance aside.
- And apparently, he created the Doors 8 operating system. So he's Bill Gates, or something.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Oh, yeah. He claims to be an upholder of love and peace.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Gentle Giant
- Idiot Hair: Though his isn't all that noticeable. He does call himself stupid, however.
- I Never Told You My Name: Accidentally uses Essi's name when advising her, although she never directly told him her name.
- Japanese Delinquents: Word of God is that he is meant to invoke the "yankee" look with his character.
- Let's Get Dangerous: Rexus is mostly mild-mannered, but is fully capable of fighting when necessary. This is most evident in Oure's route.
- Misunderstood Loner with a Heart of Gold: Averted; Essi is suspicious of him but in their first conversation she is able to determine that he isn't such a bad person.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: If the author's notes are to be believed, Rexus' true personality is a lot different than the silly one here.
- Red Herring: His mysterious persona, opportune helpfulness, and insight in Essi's life eventually leads her to suspect that he is X. His name doesn't help matters.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: Damn, if he doesn't. He is the one most responsible for taking care of the major and minor details Essi usually has to resolve at the end of each path. He is easily the most well-connected character, surpassing even Loil.
- Socially-Awkward Hero: Initially doesn't deal well with chatting with Essi, but as they interact more, he shows himself to be more normal.
The first authority figure Essi meets in Xen Institute and its last surviving founder. Due to Essi's involvement in the case, Yuon assigns her to Acia's class. Though a kind and helpful woman, Acia often hesitates to personally take action.
- Cowardly Lion: She is a self-proclaimed coward, who holds guilt for not supporting Emma in the incident ten years ago.
- Everyone Went to School Together: With Scid and Emma.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation
- My Greatest Failure: She remained silent when Scid and Emma confronted her for her support on their opposing decisions in dealing with X. Acia kept silent, and deeply regrets that day, partly blaming herself for Emma's death.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Senpai Kohai: She was the kohai to Emma's sempai.
- Sincerest Form of Flattery: She states that she became a psychiatrist, like Essi's mother, out of her admiration for her. However, she lacked the talent that was needed to succeed in that field, and so, she became just another teacher at Xen Institute. Acia was actually more talented as an artist, and Emma was disappointed that she simply followed her into psychiatry instead of choosing to pursue a career in that field.
- Spot of Tea: When Essi helps her out on her first Saturday at Xen Institute.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Much more sugar than ice, as Essi initially believed.
- We Hardly Knew Ye
One of the other founding members of Xen Institute and its previous principal, Dr. Scid is the victim of the murder case that Yuon recruited Essi to solve. He suffered from internally caused brain injuries; Yuon quickly deduces that only a psychic was able to murder him.
Another one of the founding members of Xen Institute, Loil was declared to be abducted before the start of the game. Although Essi pins him as a suspect for Scid's murder early in the game, Yuon states that it is impossible for Loil to be the culprit of Scid's murder, as the damage was done psychically and Loil lacked any special powers of his own.
Essi's deceased mother, who died tragically in an accident that occurred ten years prior. Though long gone, she has more connections with Xen Institute than Essi is first led to believe.
A Boy Named "X"/Xirr
A mysterious boy that appears in Essi's dreams, and is connected to her mother's death. His name, given to him by the founders of Xen Institute, is also used in naming the X-Note. Currently, he has taken on the identity "Anon".
- All of the Other Reindeer
- Blinding Bangs
- Berserk Button: Hurting Oure. Ironically, he shares that same button with Scid.
- Break the Cutie: The full X-Note basically contains the story of how he was broken.
- Bungled Suicide
- Bullying a Dragon
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Subjected to it.
- Creepy Child: Oh, yeah, big time.
- Death Seeker: As seen in the opening to the game and even when he's older.
- Despair Event Horizon: Just when you think that he can't be more broken than he already is, the story says otherwise.
- Divine Intervention: Saved the children of his village through his awakening psychic power. They could only describe it as a strange power that protected them, and don't actually think he deserves credit.
- Driven to Suicide: Though it ended up being a Bungled Suicide. Instead of killing himself, he couldn't coherently piece together his memories and suffered though some Identity Amnesia.
- Freudian Excuse: Oh, boy...
- Harmful to Minors: The kid suffered through the Northern War, the most destruction of which was caused by an explosion from a swamp that was tainted blood red. He was then later bullied by the very children he saved, and indirectly caused what he believed to be the death of his only friend. He was then tortured by said friend's father in an act of revenge, and was barely rescued by Essi's mother, only for his savior to die in a car accident, which he then blamed himself for by not attempting to save her. By this time, he was already long gone across the Despair Event Horizon, and instead chose to end his life then and there.
- I'm A Monster
- Kids Are Cruel: The other children he ended up saving turned on him and bullied him when they noticed he was receiving special treatment from the founders.
- Lack of Empathy: His most defining personality trait.
- Mind Rape: A victim of this at the hands of Scid and Loil.
- Morality Chain: Oure
- Orphan's Ordeal
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: His powers are explicitly stated to far exceed what a psychic should be capable of.
- The Quiet One
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: When his only friend, Oure, was hurt defending him from the other children.
- Sanity Slippage: He already slipped pretty far after seeing the massacre of his village. However, he showed some signs of recovery when Oure befriended him. After he thought that he ended up killing Oure, he was subjected to further tradgedy and loses it, eventually crossing over the Despair Event Horizon.
- Single Issue Psychology: Averted. Though he does mainly suffer from PTSD, the other things he was subjected to in his childhood also damage his psyche severely.
- The Sociopath: A borderline example. He really cannot see the point in caring for others' situations, although considering everything he had experienced from the point of his introduction, it's easy to see where this viewpoint comes from. He's more sympathetic than many other examples, and despite his violent outbursts, his lack of empathy comes from being a Shell-Shocked Veteran.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: A child who watched and survived the destruction of his village in the Northern War.
- Stopped Caring: Played for Drama
- Survivor Guilt
- Trauma Conga Line: Pretty much everything listed in Harmful to Minors.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: X suffers from many problems as a child, the most prominent being post-traumatic stress disorder. Then there's the matter of his psychic powers... His psychic abilities led to him being subjected to violent bullying, then caused him to lose the only friend he had when the Power Incontinence in his Roaring Rampage of Revenge kicked in, then led to him being subjected to Cold-Blooded Torture, and on top of all of that he ended up with Survivor Guilt after not doing anything to save Essi's mom, leading to his Bungled Suicide. Yep, this kid's behavior is pretty justified.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Justified in his case, as the awakening of his psychic powers was directly connected to his trauma.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds