- ...Then came the orders to deal with the Müllenkamp occupation of Duke Bardorba's Manor where, Fate crossed his path with that of one Sydney Losstarot. The result of that meeting set Ashley on the road to Lea Monde. Ashley Riot was last seen one week later, at the Duke's Secondary Residence. Immediately after his visit to the mansion, the Duke himself was reported dead. The VKP has named him the prime suspect in the Duke's murder, and has undertaken investigation.Ashley Riot, the most reliable of all the VKP’s Riskbreakers is now the prime suspect in the murder of Duke Bardorba. Two months have already passed since the search for him commenced, yet not a single trace of his whereabouts has been uncovered. Within the VKP, it is widely believed, though unofficially so, that learning the truth behind the whole mystery is impossible.
open/close all folders
- "Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements."
- Awesome McCool Name
- Badass Longcoat: Gets one during the ending.
- The Blacksmith: Able to use materials to craft equipment. It's necessary because there are no shops in the game.
- Deadpan Snarker: Sometimes.
- Hair Antennae
- The Hero / Player Character
- Limit Break: Break Arts. There are four break skills for each kind of weapon (even for bare-handed), and usually require a percentage of Ashley's Hit Points to perform.
- Magic Knight: Can wield a wide variety of weapons and magic spells.
- One-Man Army: He is the reinforcements.
- Power Tattoo: Is branded with the Rood Inverse at the end of the game, which also functions as a special key during new game plus.
- Psychic Link: Through his connection to the Dark, Ashley gains the ability to sometimes see through the eyes of other people (Merlose and Samantha).Rosencrantz: "The symptoms resemble those of case ... 72, was it? Borrowing another's eyes and ears — Clairvoyance, if you will. All people are tuned to a certain "rhythm"; some can find a like rhythm and jump on board.""True seers can join one regardless of their rhythm. But not you. Not yet..."
- Repressed Memories: The justification for your gaining skills - Ashley always knew them, but his guilt caused him to lock them away. "Ashley has regained this skill from repressed memory."
- Shrug of God: Was Ashley's family really killed or did his guilt as an assassin made him do a Heel–Face Turn? There is evidence pertaining to either view, and the creator isn't exactly forthcoming with answers.
- Synchronization: When Guildenstern realises that Ashley is seeing through Samantha's eyes he immediately backhands her, breaking her connection with Ashley and causing some blood to run from her mouth. When the scene cuts back to Ashley he is bleeding in the same way
- Tragic Keepsake: Ashley begins the game wearing his wife's rood necklace as his only accessory.
- "There are many would-be prophets in the land these days, but Sydney is ...different. His prophecies ring true, and those enraptured by the way he hums revelations — as though they were simple ballads! All say the same: "He is a miracle."
- Artificial Limbs: It may appear that he simply has armored arms with creepy claw gloves on the end but later in the game it becomes clear they are entirely artificial when Rosencrantz slices one off, only for Sydney to calmly pick it up and slot it back in place with no adverse effects."I gave my limbs to the gods. Perhaps I'll add yours to the offering."
- Awesome McCool Name
- Big Bad: Subverted as the true Big Bad is Guildenstern, who turns out to be far worse than Sydney.
- The Chessmaster
- Deadpan Snarker
- Enemy Mine: At one point with Ashley against Grissom.
- Immortality: The power of the Dark sustains whoever holds the Bloodsin.
- Large Ham
- Power Tattoo: The Rood Inverse tattoo on his back turns out to be the Bloodsin, the key to inheriting the power of the Dark in city of Lea Monde. Guildenstern strips the whole tattoo along with the skin off his back at the end.
- Sarcastic Clapping: Plink Plink Plink.
- Summon Magic and More Than Mind Control: He is in favor of employing these as opposed to attacking directly.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: In response to Guildenstern's Motive Rant.Sydney: It is a wretched rule that does not value human life.
- True Companions: He and Hardin consider this of each other but throughout the story it becomes increasingly clear that Sydney is keeping secrets from Hardin. In the end it is played mostly straight despite the lies. Sydney is visibly pained when Hardin is injured and later apologises before sending him to safety.
- "You are not the only shepherd here, Sydney!" "Watch your crook, lest it be wrenched from you."
- Awesome McCool Name
- Authority Equals Asskicking
- Badass: He is at Sydney's level of power when it comes to using the Dark.
- BFS: After he absorbs the full power of the Dark he transforms the great cathedral's Rood-shaped spire into a massive sword infused with Dark power.
- Big Bad
- Corrupt Church Militant: He is in command of it.
- Dark Messiah
- Hypocrite: Despite condemning the users of Dark, he and many of knights in the Crimson Blades are the users of dark magic.
- Kick the Dog: Not only is Hardin already wounded, completely at his mercy and had already given him the information he sought when he runs him through but also he stabs him in the lung to give him a very slow death instead of simply finishing him off.
- Knight Templar: Literally. He turns out to be a lot worse.
- Magic Knight: As the captain of the Crimson Blades, he can wield a wide variety of weapons and magic spells.
- Motive Rant:"Not religion, Sydney. Revolution. A fresh wind to blow away the disease of the land. For our realm is SICK. It suffurates with profiteers! Fawning merchants licking the boots of the nobility! They do nothing and blame others for their failure; they steal men's dreams and twist them to nightmares... We must cleanse this corruption. There must be strong, unwavering justice. And there must be fear to enforce that justice."
- One-Winged Angel
- Power Tattoo: He takes away Sydney's Rood Inverse by ripping it off of Sydney's back and attaching it to his own.
- The Stoic: For the most part, at least compared with other characters.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Says a variant of it to Ashley just before the final boss battle:"Truth or not, your sins are eternal!"
- Utopia Justifies the Means: More or less his belief. Most exemplified when he sacrifices Samantha against her will.Guildenstern: The world does not want a saviour. These wretches leading lives of misery do not need salvation. The rotting branch must be pruned.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: He learns too late that Evil Is Not a Toy.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Stabs Hardin through the chest once he has he information he needs from him.
- According to the survivors, our comrade Agent Riot headed out for Leá Monde before noon. Of course, the reports were vague and we cannot deny the possiblity of inaccuracies. Yet given that there is only one path to infiltrate Lea Monde, this office believes those reports to be valid.
- "Agent Riot, I presume? I'm your partner, Callo Merlose. But please, call me Cal. How was your journey?"
- Distressed Damsel: Is Sydney's captive for a good stretch, despite who useful her role is in giving information to Ashley.
- Miss Exposition: At the start of the game she is paired wth Ashley due to her knowledge of cults and throughout the game provides (or is given) further background information on a variety of subjects.
- Psychic Link: At certain points in the game Ashley is able to see through her eyes and learn what Sydney and Hardin are up to (though Merlose herself is unaware of this).
- Quickly Demoted Woman:Callo is on the box and is hinted to be the brains to Ashley's brawn, but Ashley's good intentions (keeping a non-combat agent out of combat) backfire, as Callo meets an abrupt Sydney from nowhere and is taken hostage.
- Heart Seer: The Dark grants her the ability to see a person's soul directly and compell it to answer. Demoted from sidekick, promoted to seer..
- The Watson: Through her eyes Ashley is able to learn much about Müllenkamp and Leá Monde.
- "Show them who they're dealing with! Torch the chambers and kill the hostages!!"
- Lima Syndrome: He is very protective of, and kind to, young Joshua because of his dead little brother]].
- Locked Out of the Loop: He is increasingly aware that Sydney is keeping secrets from him.
- Psychic Static: Once he is aware that Merlose is reading his soul he stabs himself in the leg, using his own pain to break their connection.
- Secret Keeper: Of all the characters in Leá Monde only Hardin knows Sydney's secret; that he is the Duke's son.
- Seer: The Dark has granted him the ability to 'scry on distant locales'. He and Sydney use this ability to keep watch on the Crimson Guard throughout Lea Monde.
- True Companions: He and Sydney consider each other as this but throughout the story Hardin feels increasingly Locked Out of the Loop.
- "Your memory fails you. The Dark holds no power over me... Nor do I recall us ever being friends. My friendship with the Duke is fleeting as well."
- Anti-Magic: Is somehow immune to all magic spells and compulsions. (Though Break Arts work on him just fine.)
- Devil in Plain Sight: Everyone knows he's a traitor to all sides, yet no one really cares about his hidden plans and even Ashley dismisses him as an obvious lowlife liar during their first encounter and simply walks away.
- Exact Words: "Fear not sweet Rosencrantz, I will not kill you." Says Sydney right before animating a giant statue which kills him instead.
- I Call It "Vera" / Fluffy the Terrible: Though not easy to discover, Rosencrantz' sword is called 'Pussyfoot'. (see Theme Naming on the main page)
- Limit Break: As a former fellow Riskbreaker Rosencrantz is the only other character able to use Break Arts.
- No Sell: Subverted. Rosencrantz' immunity to magic fails him near the end of the game when Sydney uses an illusion to trick him into throwing away his sword. It is unclear on why this happens but Sydney hints that is is due to them standing in the Temple of Kilitia where Müllenkamp is/was strongest.
- Smug Snake:
- The Unfought: The first fight ends with him running away and saying he won't be defeated so easily next time. Unfortunately, when Ashley does meet him again, it's only to see him getting sliced into two quickly dissolving pieces thanks to Sydney.
- "Coward! Ye are a stain on the escutcheon of our order!"
- "We are prelates of the Lord, scum. We are not here to bend aught, we are come to cleanse!"
- Came Back Wrong:
- How Do I Shot Web?:
- Summon Magic: Summons a Dark Crusader to fight Sydney, though the effort briefly kills him."I, too ... I can summon. It is not your sacred right!!"
- You Killed My Father: "I must avenge the foul murder of my brother, Duane."
- "It is not that! I... No training could prepare one for this."
- Informed Ability: Is one of the Commanders of the Knights of The Cross but spends most of her time in Leá Monde looking like a simpering schoolgirl.
- Psychic Link: As with Merlose, Ashley is able to sometimes see through her eyes. Unlike Merlose however Samantha can sometimes see through his at the same time. Her dying thought is to Ashley begging him to save Guildenstern from the blood-drenched future her lover was chaining himself to.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Guildenstern sacrifices her as the pure soul needed for the right of succession.Guildenstern: "Forgive me, Samantha. I need your soul. Our cause needs a martyr."Samantha: "Y-your cause... There is no ... place for me ... for our dream... (slumps to knees)Guildenstern: "I love you, Samantha. As God is my witness."Samantha: "I...too, once thought so..." (falls from the roof)
- "So you're the one they speak of. They will sing songs of your death here!!"
- An Axe to Grind:
- Bash Brothers: With Neesa.
- The Big Guy:
- Heroic Sacrifice: He remains behind to face (what was) Grissom and cover Neesa's retreat.To Grissom "And now the slowest dance begins, partner. 'Tis a fine tomb we shall share."
- "Ah, how goes the battle, you mean? The city is ours, dearie, more or less."
Joshua Corrinne Bardorba
- Big "NO!":Doubly subverted. Joshua clearly attempts this when Hardin is stabbed by Guildenstern but not only is there no voice acting in this game but Joshua himself has been mute since the events of the game began, resulting in a very heartfelt, but ultimately silent NOOOOOOOO!
- Cute Mute:
- Stockholm Syndrome: Feels great affection for Hardin despite knowing that he is his kidnapper.
- Tag Along Kid: Well kidnapped, but still.
Aldous Byron Bardorba
- "Indeed, Valendia might still be at war with itself, were it not for the Duke's heroism. Yet he wields much of his power from the shadows. Even after his retirement, his grip on Parliament is unrelenting"
- The Chessmaster:
- Luke, I Am Your Father: He and Sydney are secretly father and son. While both of them know this, non of the other characters do (save Hardin). It is a shock to both Ashley and Guildenstern when they learn but it explains much of the plot when they do.
- The Man Behind the Man: He is known to control parliament from the shadows and was also secretly financing the Müllenkamp sect before they turned on him at the start of the game.
- Synchronization: His life is linked to that of his son, Sydney's, when one dies so does the other. This was originally done to save the life of Sydney when he was born.
- We sent men to monitor the abandoned mineshaft that leads to Leá Monde. All were found dead. At the entrance other bodies were found: Two knights of the Cardinal's Crimson Blades.Our men were murdered with swords, but the knight's wounds show they died by their own hands. At present, we have taken the bodies into our custody, and our specialists are continuing the examination.— Excerpt from Graylands Incident Investigation Report, Section 3.14
MüllenkampBased around the ancient Kiltian dancer-priestess Müllenkamp who lived over 2,000 years ago, the religious cult of Müllenkamp traces its origins from the very founding of the city Leá Monde.
- Belly Dancer: As seen in the opening FMV (with a sword balanced on her head no less). Described in the description of one of the accessories as 'A dancer, and the head priestess of Ancient Kilitia
- Lady Not-Appearing-in-This-Game: Subverted. She only appears in the pre-opening FMV, but is an extremely important figure in the backstory.
- Where It All Began: Founder of the city of Leá Monde and namesake of the Müllenkamp cult.
Tia and Marco Riot
- Tia "Welcome home, Ashley. You've done all you could for us. 'Twas a short time, but I knew happiness with you. You gave me a lifetime's worth of love."Marco "Don't cry, Papa. See, I'm not crying. See?Tia "Do not be misled by others' words. Believe your heart." "I love you, Ashley."
- Infant Immortality: Averted.
- The Lost Lenore: Both of them.
- Tragic Keepsake: Rood Necklace. Necklace with the rood of the Iocus priesthood. Once owned by Tia.
- Woman in White:
MaridWater Daeva. Sunk Leá Monde into the water 25 years ago with the aid of Dao, the earth daeva.
DaoEarth Daeva. An Evil spirit who casts baneful spells to sate its yearning for human life.
- Acrofatic: Bounces around the room you fight him in like a balloon with the knot undone.
- Dishing Out Dirt:
- Elemental Embodiment:
- Nice Hat:
IfreetFire Daeva. An arrogant spirit who enjoys burning humans with spells.
DjinnAir Daeva. This violent angry spirit serves no mortal master
NightmareDark Daeva. It is filled with an insatiable craving to see the living suffer.
- Affably Evil: Gives a polite bow before he tries to murder you.
- Casting a Shadow
- Elemental Embodiment
- Nice Hat
Dullahan / Dark Crusader / Nightstalker / Last CrusaderKnightly armour possessed by the Dark and capable of both magical and physical attacks.
- Animated Armor
- Degraded Boss: All if them are set piece fights at some point, but the Crusaders become Elite Mooks in Iron Maiden, the latter being the way to get hold of the Holy Win, the former the Rhomphaia.
- Headless Horseman: Due to lacking an armored helmet.
- Magic Knight
Quicksilver / ShriekerDolls possessed by the souls of children who lost their lives to war or illness.
- Leá Monde is an old town, with a history of over 2000 years. Its walls have seen many battles — They are stronger than the mightiest forts of Valendia, and as the sun wheels through the sky, the beauty of their shifting colors surpasses that of any palace.The grand cathedral that towers over the town center is a symbol for Leá Monde's indomitable spirit, and is the holy ground of the devout Iocus priesthood. At its height, Lea Monde was a thriving community more than 5000 people strong. 25 years ago, a great earthquake brought that chapter in Leá Monde's history to a close.