Auria is a seventeen years old high school student that is shot by a cop on the way to her father's house to spend the weekend. When she wakes up, lost in a place far away from the United Provincies and without memories of what happened after she died, things get MUCH worse.
- Action Girl
- Anti-Hero: Starts as a type I, but when Act III starts, she is basically a type IV. depending on your actions, she can shift up or even down on the scale.
- Berserk Button: Do not call her plain!
- Character Development: Compare Auria from Act I with Auria from Act III.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Fiery Redhead: Largely subverted with her, who has red hair but stays generally morose and deadpan throughout, only occasionally driven to defiance by extreme circumstances.
- Killed Off for Real / The Hero Dies: In most of the endings this happens to her, even the good ones. Which leads to...
- Took A Level In Bad Ass: Takes several during the story.
Seri is the one who finds Auria days after her death. She is a reliable, moral girl tha offers Auria help when she needs it.
- Action Girl
- Took a Level in Badass: Takes several, specially when she makes a contract with Ran, a Patron that grants her the hability to use Awakenings.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist
Zaq is Seri's childhood friend that doesn't like Auria very much. He relutanctly agrees to help her get home, coerced by Seri.
- Big Brother Instinct: Has a little sister called Kiyjala who lost her legs in a bomb raid during the war. She is the reason he left for the Alibaas capital with Seri. He knew there he could find foreign doctors that could help his sister even if the new government had Orka's support, meaning there was a possibility he would have to abide to orkan traditions and laws.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Has shades of this during Act I but thenHis backstory is expanded a little in the beginning of Act III and we learn about his sister and remember what he did to protect Seri in Act II...
- Ship Tease: With Seri. Specially right before he dies, which makes things even sadder.
- The Medic
- Killed Off for Real: Helps Seri escape near the end of Act II at the cost of his own life.
Rayonne de Bellemont
Ray is a young boy from a village in Banivia that is full of demon slayers, or so he tell us. He joins the party because he is in some sort of quest to become a complete demon slayer. Auria doesn't believe him and think he is just a dumb farmboy. At first.. Ray is the closest thing to a true hero in Vacant Sky, but this end up giving him a lot of problems. Turns out he is actually telling the truth. He does come from a village of demon slayers and the existence of demons is a bic Chekhov's Gun since Auria is (sort of) a demon herself.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Ray has most of the traits from a typical heroic protagonist. Sadly, he is not the protagonist nor is Vacant Sky a standard RPG setting.
- Demon Slaying
- Good Is Dumb
- One Thing Led to Another: Vel disguised as Auria kisses him and they have sex. Maybe. Needless to say, Vel isn't very pleased and this come to bite him in the ass later.
- The Lancer
- What the Hell, Hero?: Kissing Auria RIGHT AFTER Vel, his girlfriend saved his life. Only it wasn't Auria he kissed, but Vel disguised as her.
Blaise is the one who shot Auria. Needless to say, they don't get along very well at first, but he joins the party anyway.
- Deadpan Snarker: Gives Auria a run for her money.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Blaise will do anything to keep people safe, and if that involves shooting allies, so be it.
An old friend of Blaise. He is kind, polite and will offer Auria really good advice when asked.
- An Axe to Grind
- Reluctant Warrior: Vanquish is unwilling to take part in conflits and is always looking for a way to avoid them. Like Seri, this causes him a lot of grief, when he tries to stop the Virad by spreading word of their atrocities before the beginning of Vacant Sky. The Virad politely answered to this by sacrificing banivians until Vanquish rescinded his claims and took credit for the slaughter.
An orkan researcher that works in a university in Svaneholm. Rien will help the party enter Maladorr Manor and will join you. She knows a lot about Virad, Ejaro and Halo Locks. Unfortunately, her resourcefulness is accompanied by a condescending attitude.
A beautiful girl that is connected to the mysterious coma affecting young men in Boris Island. Vel joins the party after she and Ray start dating.
- Genki Girl: Subverted because Vel isn't happy at all but believes that by acting as if she is, she'll eventually feel happiness.
- Master of Disguise
- Mind Control: Ejaro has been doing it to her for years.
- Satellite Love Interest: Ejaro planned for her to be this from the very beginning. Vel's love for Ray is one of the many Xanatos Gambits pulled off by Ejaro.
- Stepford Smiler
- The Cutie
- The Woobie
Someone Auria meets in Act II.
Laaik ArunayOrka's 100th Black Knight. He is a paladin that leads the Orkan Military when there is any war going on and is a pillar of morality that all orkans follow. He is young and laidback, but takes his job very seriously. He joins the party when Auria seeks help from Meridian, who is married to him.
- Broken Ace: Has some hints of being this.
- Church Militant
- Mr. Fanservice: Ray's mother agree. So do orkan women.
- Happily Married: To Meridian.
- Holy Hand Grenade: Auraweaver, his sword, can destroy evil. Not that we see it in battle.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome
- The Paladin