Characters: The Tribe
open/close all folders
Played By: Vanessa Stacey
Seasons: S1, S2, S3, S5
Played By: Beth Allen
Seasons: S1, S3, S4, S5
- Team Mom: A role she naturally assumes but occasionally resents.
- Teen Pregnancy: Gets pregnant via Bray, and gives birth on the run from the Technos, naming the child after his father.
- The Captain: Many of the other Mallrats thought of her this way after her false death in Season 1
- The Kirk: Rational, practical, empathetic, and a good leader.
- Not Quite Dead: it turns out in season 3 she survived the explosion on Eagle Mountain at the start of season 2, and has forged a new identity as "Eagle", now leader of the Eco tribe.
Played By: Lucas Hill (S4), Adam Sondej (S5)
- Dead Guy Junior: Amber names the baby after his father, who it later turns out has been "deleted" by the Technos.
Played By: Dwayne Cameron
- Chick Magnet: Girls go to war over him.
- The Hero: A role he grew into over the first season.
- Imaginary Love Triangle: Believes he and Amber are in one with Pride.
Played By: Beanie Palmer (S1), Kiriana Chase (S1), Story Rose (S2), Eva Rose (S2), Ariel Garland (S2), Georgia-Taylor Woods (S3-S5)
Played By: Charley Murphy Samau
Played By: Jaimee Kaire-Gataulu
- Bratty Teenage Daughter (to her pseudo-parents, Salene and Trudy)
- Guile Hero: Once the older Mallrats start trusting her with her own tasks in their dealings with the Technos, it turns out that she's rather good at manipulating Ved.
Played By: Ashwath Sundarasen
- Badass Bookworm: Dal proves to be this during the tribe circus invasion of the mall in what qualifies as a Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Jack's red. He's the practical, cool head that sees Jack's inventive ideas through to their application
Played By: Ella Wilks
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: For Amber after her "death" in season 2.
Played By: Jennyfer Jewell
- Heroic BSOD: After Jack is taken by the Technos in early Season 4.
- Hot Scoop: Starts a newspaper called "The Amulet" with Jack.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: towards Jack, and briefly Luke as part of his Heel-Face Turn.
- The Smart Girl: Also a computer expert like Jack, which helps form their attachment.
Played By: Vicky Rodewyk
"I'm a scientist ... I lose things, forget birthdays and I'm more familiar with numbers than words!"'
Played By: Michael Wesley Smith
- Fake Defector: In Season 5.
- Gadgeteer Genius: having a talent for science and technology, he's responsible (along with Dal) for various inventions that benefit the tribe, including a water-filtration system and a wind turbine built from scrap.
- Hollywood Atheist: Averted. He doesn't put much stake in Tai-San's prophecies because they are unscientific.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Dal's blue. His ideas are generally more fanciful and inventive than Dal's; but Dal is practical enough that when he and Jack work together they come up with some pretty amazing stuff, like a water purification system and an electric generator.
Played By: Ari Boyland
Seasons: S1, S2, S3, S5
"I don't need anybody."
Played By: Caleb Ross
- Abusive Parents: Lex's father beat both him and his mother.
- Anti-Hero: He's more than willing to take the role of The Big Guy whenever he gets something out of it.
- Cartwright Curse: A variant on it - Lex's partners are fine unless they say "I do."
- Dirty Cop: As sheriff, he's known to take bribes.
- Never Learned to Read: A major source of his insecurity. The first episode contradicted this, but after that the series was pretty consistent about it, and strongly implied that he had Dyslexia.
- Off The Wagon: A pretty good depiction
- The Rival: To Bray and pretty much any other postpubescent male.
Played By: Beth Chote
Played By: Laura Wilson
Played By: Jacinta Wawatai
Played By: Sarah Major
Played By: Zachary Best
- The Voiceless: Subverted. Although deaf, he does occasionally speak.
- Psychic Powers: He feels "vibrations," as his sister, Patsy, puts it.
Played By: Ryan Runciman
- Beware the Nice Ones: Ryan is one of the nicest people, ever, yet if you get him angry he will beat the crap out of you.
- The Danza: Though it's most likely just a coincidence seeing how he's no more prominent than most of the characters.
Played By: Victoria Spence
- Team Mom: Started as the more domestic version but eventually took Amber's place in the tribe.
Played By: Lucas Hayward
Played By: Michelle Ang
- The Fundamentalist: Vehemently opposed to modern western science and medicine.
- The Lost Lenore: To Lex, in later seasons.
"Come anywhere near Bray or Brady and I will scratch your eyes out!"
Played By: Antonia Prebble
- Face-Heel Turn: In Series 2 after returning from the Chosen.
- Heel-Face Turn: After visiting the Nomads.
- Heroic Sacrifice: While not resulting in death Trudy allows herself to be taken away by the Chosen to save Lex's life
- Teen Pregnancy: much of the first series revolves around her getting pregnant by Zoot and her vulnerability after the Locos throw her out.
- Who's Laughing Now?: In Series 3, now that she has the Mallrats at her mercy:
- Trudy: "Do you remember Jack? When I was just a scared pregnant girl begging to be allowed to stay here?"Salene: "We took you in Trudy!"Trudy: "I was never welcome here! Do you have any idea how that felt?"
Played By: Amy Morrison
Played By: Meryl Cassie
- Enemy Mine: Due to the break up of the Locos Ebony is forced to work with the Mallrats for most of Season 2, though neither side likes this arrangement.
- Not So Stoic: When it comes to Jay.
- Still Wearing the Old Colors: After joining the Mallrats, Ebony still wears the red and black clothing associated with the Locos, her old tribe.
Played By: Keegan Fulford-Wierzbicki
Played By: Lee Donoghue
"Power and Chaos - it's the only way!"
Played By: Daniel James
- Big Bad: As leader of the Locos (the main antagonist tribe) during season 1.
- Burn Baby Burn: Gets sent off like this.
- Dark Messiah: Preaches an ideal of "power and chaos" (rejecting the old world of the adults with their rules) which the Locos adopt; after his death, the Chosen take this and turn him into a god figure.
Played By: Damon Andrews
Seasons: S2-S3, S5
- Big Bad: as leader of the cult "The Chosen" in Season 2-3, which kills/enslaves the members of the other tribes.
- The Fundamentalist: He turns Zoot into a god.
Played By: Jacob Tomuri
Played By: Megan Alatini
Played By: James Napier
- The Captain: This is his role as the military head of Ram's organization.
Played By: Calen Maiava-Paris
- Big Bad: after taking over the Technos in Season 5.
- Manipulative Bastard: though the Technos appear to be reduced in power after being overthrown in season 4, he cleverly manipulates his way to power.
"I'm a genius. Didn't they tell you? "
Played By: Tom Hern
- A God Am I: His obsession with immortality in Reality Space comes close to this.
- Big Bad: as leader of the Technos in Season 4, subjecting everyone to insane virtual reality experiments.
- Heel-Face Turn: after defeat and abandonment at the end of season 4, he is slowly worked round over the course of season 5.
- Teen Genius: manages to turn the City from post-apolcalyptic wasteland into a hi-tech dystopia, manages to create successful virtual reality and even a malevolent AI by the end of season 5.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Cyberspace is this to him.
Played By: Monique Cassie
- I Just Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Is fine with Lex still pining after Tai-San.
Played By: Dan Weekes-Hannah
Played By: Sam Kelly
"Is it just me or did you get a feeling? (...) Like I just blinked and missed something."
Played By: Nick Miller
- The Big Guy: Actually Season 3 and 4's best example of this.
- Chick Magnet: Second only to Bray.
- The Fundamentalist: Violently opposed to the idea of society returning to the evil old ways. In Season 4, believes that once electricity is switched back on it will carve the way for pollution, inequality and war.
- The Reliable One: In Season 3, one of the few characters whom all sides seem to trust.
- The Rival: To Bray, about Amber.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: After becoming addicted to the Game.
Played By: James Ordish
Played By: Joseph Crawford
"Being a girlie doesn't mean I didn't got to be big and strong."
Played By: Kelly Stevenson
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Is this often to Lex.
- Manipulative Bastard: Doesn't hesitate to play Ebony against Amber - all in the name of helping Lex.
Played By: Miriama Smith
Played By: Bevin Linkhorn
Played By: Morgan Palmer Hubbard
- Odd Couple: With Dee.
Played By: Fleur Saville
Played By: David Taylor
Played By: Matt Robinson
Played By: Amelia Reynolds
Played By: Sam Husson
- Gang of Hats: His tribe, Tribe Circus.