Characters: The Magic For Idiots
open/close all folders
The Shrine Residents
"I know I tend to be dense, even when something's obvious. I'm just a bit slow – Not insensitive."
Rokuro is an amateur wizard who crash-landed head-first into Akemi's yard one day in April. He seems to attract trouble wherever he goes
, and seldom comes up with a way to get out of it by himself. He also seems to have a crush on Akemi despite the fact that she's taken.
Akemi Segawa (瀬雅琶明美)
"Oh, come on; don't be like that. I'm trying to compliment you."
16-year-old shrine maiden
who likes to think of herself as one of the sanest people she knows. While most of the time she's considered a tomboy, when she's with Daisuke
, she goes into a surprisingly girly, dere-dere
mode. She has little tolerance for stupidity, and likes things to go her way.
And yes, the orange hair is natural
- Anime Hair: The only (?) human to invoke this trope - Every other non-magic character is shown to have a normal, black/brown coloring. Even Rokuro thinks that her hair color is weird.
- Maruchi comments that the color is "rather atypical for someone of her background".
- Battle Aura: When she's really pissed.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Has at least two fangirls.
- Honorifics: Uses these with nearly everyone.
- In the Blood: Minus the obvious phenotype differences, Akemi is basically a female version of her father.
- Magic Skirt: Her uniform one, anyway. She wears pants under her casual skirt, so that doesn't count.
- Miko: She's introduced as one, but is hardly seen in action.
- Ordinary High-School Student
- Rapunzel Hair
- Secret Keeper: Of Rokuro and Maruchi’s otherworldly status.
- Skirt over Slacks: Her signature style.
- Spell My Name with an "S": While her surname is a common one, the spelling is not. Segawa is usually spelled as 瀬川 ("Shallows" and "river"), but Akemi's last name is written as 瀬雅琶 ("Shallows", "grace", "lute").
- Strong Family Resemblance: Her bangs and eyes are different, but other than that Akemi is nearly a clone of Hazuki.
- Sweet Tooth: One of her weaknesses. Rie usually cajoles Akemi into going with her to the Cosplay Cafe because of the desserts there.
- Throw the Book at Them: One of the few things she shares in common with Maruchi - A love of using books to beat sense into clueless wizards.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Parfait.
- Tsundere: Type B.
Maruchi (丸智) / Maruchirō Kyoyoseikan (炯妖凄感丸智婁)
"You need to have a serious talk with yourself, Rokuro. Or at least with your common sense. I'm sure it misses you."
Maruchi is Rokuro's majikyou
(Magic instructor) who made his first appearance in chapter seven as a purple kitten
. He is barely half of Rokuro's height, and tends to be classified as either a huge jerk
or a brat
. However, despite his outward appearance, he is actually close to three hundred years old and has an IQ more than two times higher than Isaac Newton's.
He's also known to be racist against humans, and sometimes even sexist, but not to any particularly serious degress.
Shigeru Segawa (瀬雅琶茂)
"Look, you pervert. It would do you some good to listen. This isn't your house. You can't just do whatever you want - And my daughter is at the top of that list!"
Shigeru is Akemi's Overprotective Dad
and Meiko's more sensible younger brother by four years. He is noted to have no real, steady job, but is both an English tutor and the substitute coach for his old high school's kendo team. Sometimes he helps his sister with the drafts for her comic
because she's usually too busy or lazy to do them herself.
Recurring Characters (Human)
Rie Hirota (尋田利江)
"I knew ghosts and spirits were real! My fantasies aren't fantasies after all!"
Rie is Akemi's classmate and foil best friend. She's very much into the occult and the idea of magic, and acts very enthusiastic about it
. Rie is also a proud Otaku
, and a fangirl of Izumi Rio
. She is great at school, especially English, despite the fact that all she does during class it read (Whether it be manga or an occult book). She's also Daisuke's younger sister by a year.
Daisuke Hirota (尋田大輔)
"Just who the hell do you think you are, touching my girlfriend like that!?"
Daisuke is Rie's older brother, Akemi's boyfriend, and a second year student at Okashii High. By his profile, he's shown to be a B+ student and a member of the kendo team. He's a truly nice guy with good morals, and is absolutely the sanest person in the cast
, but will fly off the handle if you do anything to upset or hurt Akemi. Your ass is grass, then.
Like Rokuro, Daisuke is afraid of Shigeru.
Hizen Umiyoshi (海葦氷山)
"Give my best regards and apology to your father, will you? Oh, and tell Rokuro and Maruchi that they did a good job as well."
Hizen is Akemi's slightly creepy
substitute homeroom teacher. He was Shigeru's classmate back when they attended high school, and still holds some amount of enmity towards him. He became a permanent part of the cast upon learning about his rival's houseguests.
Recurring Characters (Non-Human)
Hideki Miura (海卜ひでき)
"Hey, if there's ever a way, you wanna go on a date with me?"
Hideki is the only other wizard known at the moment. He is Rokuro's best friend
, and extremely confident when it comes to getting girls. Even though he's never succeeded once.
He just comes off as a pervert. He's also been known to screw up and slack off, and even has a schedule made for skipping classes
. Despite these qualities, Hideki is shown to be very concerned with the wellfare of his friends, and is helping Rokuro keep the fact that he's now on Earth for a year secret.
Shichi (志智) / Shichirō Kyoyoseikan (炯妖凄感志智婁)
Shichi is another resident of Kitakuvaaraji
. He first appears as an evil spirit, scaring Rie from her home so he could live there while training to become a majikyou, but is later caught and revealed to be a very talkative
boy with the power to control shadows. Shichi is also revealed to be Maruchi's second and youngest brother
, and admires him very much. He's two hundred and ten years old and colorblind (Which partly explains his horrible taste in fashion).
- Anime Hair: Best example of it in this story so far.
- Annoying Younger Sibling
- Big Eater: Probably, like every other boy in this series (Excluding Daisuke). He did manage to stuff six cookies (And counting) in his mouth at once.
- Catboy: He may be lacking the ears, but his feet are green paws, and he purrs.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Does Not Like Shoes
- Honorifics: Shichi always refers to Maruchi as onii-sama.
- Informed Flaw: He's colorblind.
- Infodump: Pretty much drops this on everyone when he makes his appearance, sealing his fate as another Motor Mouth.
- Kemonomimi: Well, he has a twin-tipped tail, in any case. His ears are fake.
- Living Shadows: As a shadow general, he has control over these. They're rather weak, though.
- Motor Mouth: God, yes.
- Multicolored Hair
- Older Than They Look: 210 years old, and looks like a young teenager.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: He isn't referred to as Shichirō unless he's giving a self-introduction.
"I suppose some things just don't change in some centuries and a half… Though I shouldn't be surprised. Both your heart and blood were always cold."
Another resident of Kitakuvaaraji and Shichi's mentor. She runs an occult shop in the heart of the city, where she first came across Rokuro, Akemi, and Rie. Sandra despises Maruchi due to their past history, but is civil enough to speak with him evenly without losing her cool often.
The Segawa Family
Meiko Segawa (瀬雅琶命子)
"He's so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!!"
Meiko was the first other Segawa family member to get a formal introduction in Mabaka!
. She is the eccentric older sister of Shigeru, and Akemi's only aunt. She's an extremely happy person, and makes her feelings and thoughts known loudly and bluntly. She loves her little brother very much, and is insulted by the fact that he refuses to work with her on her manga, Yamato Master.
She is married to Tsukkomi, and has a daughter, Emiri.
Tsukkomi Segawa (瀬雅琶月混)
"Very sorry to disturb you, Shigeru-san... We'll just be on our way now."
The most worrisome character of the story. He's a company worker who married into the Segawa family by marrying Meiko. He's a rather nervous man, and he's known to apologize a lot
- Mainly to Shigeru. When altercations break out between the two siblings, Tsukkomi is the one who tries to remain neutral and calm them down. He's also the tallest character in the series.
He has a single daughter named Emiri.
Emiri Segawa (瀬雅琶笑理)
"Why do I have to be around the crazies my entire life?"
Emiri is Akemi's eleven-year-old cousin. She's the daughter of Tsukkomi and Meiko, and seems to be more like her father
than her mother
. She has more common sense than most of her family does, as it's noted by Akemi. She may or may not be classified as a know-it-all, depending on who you ask. Apparently, she wants to go into the medical field when she's older. She also tends to invariably tick Rokuro off whenever they speak.
- Deadpan Snarker: Comes and goes with her mood.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Possibly. It's clear she does some serious studying in her spare time just from the explanation of eye colors she gives.
Hazuki Segawa (瀬雅琶葉月)
Akemi's mother and Shigeru's dead
wife. Not much is known about her, other than that she was very beautiful and "went away" at a young age.
The major part of Rokuro's magic is him utilizing different elements and weapons. Unfortunately, his uniform isn't the only thing that changes when he activates them...
Tropes that apply to all of the charms (So far):
The fire element, giving Rokuro a boost to his speed, strength, confidence, and arrogance.
The wind element, encompassing Rokuro's common sense (Yes, he has some) and work-a-holic side of himself.