open/close all folders
A young boy from Fern who learned he was Leimornean following the destruction of his hometown. He sets off on a journey to learn the truth about who he is and why the church is hunting down and exterminating Leimorneans.
- Badass Adorable: Especially in his wolf form, where he deals up to ten times more damage than with a sword but still looks like a cute and cuddly critter.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: He was never allowed outside the village and always wanted to travel with his dad. As soon as he expresses that wish, the call decides to pay his hometown a vist...
- The Berserker: In his beast form.
- Book Dumb: While not as stupid as many Tales heroes, he doesn't have much patience for learning about magic and by his own admission, he's not good at studying.
- The Call Knows Where You Live: And goes after his father.
- Cute Little Fangs: Apparent in some of his Tales of Versus art.
- Determinator: No matter how big of a Trauma Conga Line he goes through because of his family, he pushes on and perseveres.
- Fiery Redhead: Though he's not as hotheaded as Rubia most of the time.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Normally he uses a sword, but he discards it in his beast form in favour of his fists.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: After his dad's killed in a very anticlimatic fashion and he transforms into his beast form, he has a brief period when he wonders if he's a mindless animal only capable of getting his friends in danger and/or killed.
- Half-Human Hybrid: His mother is Leimornean, his father is human.
- Happily Adopted: Though he has some gripes about his father not letting him leave Fern, he is otherwise very happy and can't bring himself to call Forrest 'father' when using that as his cover story to avoid detection due to love for his adopted father.
- Multicolored Hair: Red, with a gray streak.
- Orphan's Plot Trinket: His necklace, which previously belonged to his mother. It's a Penscient Crystal, one of the "Leimen Tears of Blood".
- Our Werebeasts Are Different: He can transform whenever he has a particularly strong outburst of emotion.
- Perpetual Frowner: Not in game, but there isn't a single piece of official art of him not frowning.
- Petting Zoo People: In Lycanth mode.
- Really Royalty Reveal: Fairly early on, it's revealed he's the son of the Queen of the Leimen. Though the throne's been defunct for some time due to Leiman persecution.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Lukius's blue.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: He's easily the most adorable werewolf around. Unfortunately, this makes some of Rubia's fears about him becoming a mindless beast fall a little flat.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge - His first beast transformation happened as a result of Rommy brainwashing his adopted father, then murdering him. It's not pretty.
- Separated at Birth: He and Lukius, since their parents didn't live together.
- Tsundere: Type B.
- Unstoppable Rage: During his first beast transformation. In successive transformations, he still doesn't have the greatest control over himself.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: He's terrified of ghosts. Unfortunately for him, Rubia and Arria both love ghost stories...
A young priestess-in-training from Fern who grew up with Caius. She accompanies him on his journey.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Pre-character development.
- Damsel in Distress: Gets kidnapped by Rommy.
- Face–Heel Turn: Goes through one for about five minutes before getting better.
- Fantastic Racism: She develops a fear towards Leimen for a while during her Heroic B.S.O.D..
- Fiery Redhead
- Giant Poofy Sleeves
- Hair Decorations
- Heroes Want Redheads
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: After a Hannibal Lecture from Rommy and seeing Lukius's softer side, she questions whether she's on the right side and devolves into one.
- Horrible Judge of Character: So... Why did she trust Rommy, a cold murderous psychopath, over the friend she knew her whole life? Who knows?
- Hostage For Macguffin: After she gets kidnapped, Rommy demands Caius's Penscient Crystal for her.
- Impractically Fancy Outfit: Caius wonders at one point how she manages to run so fast in her flower skirt.
- The Red Mage: She has both offensive and healing/buffing magic.
- Squishy Wizard
- Tsundere: Type A. It makes her and Caius's interactions a bit vitriolic.
- White Magician Girl
- You Killed My Father: She joins Caius because Rommy killed her parents in cold blood.
The prince of the distant nation of Senshibia, who set off for Aurella with Forest to search for aid in dealing with the Spots invading his country.
- BFS: He wields huge broadswords.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Played with, but subverted. He has at least 20 girlfriends back in Senshibia... and by "girlfriends" he means "purely platonic friends who are women."
- Cool Big Bro: Rubia takes him on as her honorary brother and loves hanging out with him.
- Ditzy Genius: While not nearly genius levels, he is pretty smart... But also pretty thick.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Many people mistake him for a tomboyish girl until they hear his voice clips. This is only a problem with official art- In game, his model looks male.
- King Incognito: More like a prince.
- Modest Royalty
- Official Couple: Him and Arria.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: He left his country in a rowboat with one bodyguard and is traveling on foot to seek help about the outbreak of monsters attacking his homeland, Senshibia.
- Second Love: He wins Arria in the end.
- The Wise Prince
Tilkis's bodyguard. A Leimornean who has a history with the city of Janna.
- An Axe to Grind: Wields axes while in human form.
- The Atoner: One of two survivors of the Janna Incident, his character growth is about learning to put the past to rest.
- Dark and Troubled Past: In his youth he was part of a Leimornean movement to overthrow Aurella's throne and reestablish the Leimornean kingdom. All but two people in the movement were executed, leading into him leaving his village and becoming an atoner.
A priestess from Janna who opposes the church's campaign to eradicate Leimorneans and decides to accompany Caius after helping him escape from the city.
- Becoming the Mask: She joined Caius initially to play The Mole for Albert, but grew to like Caius and his friends and turned on Albert.
- Giant Poofy Sleeves: Not as poofy as Rubia's, but they're still poofy. Must be Aurella's fashion.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: After helping the group defeat Albert, she drops the Improbable Hairstyle and starts wearing her hair down.
- Improbable Hairstyle: All piled up on her head. She lets it down eventually.
- Instant Expert: She's a talented mage, but it's still impressive that she managed to teach herself how to wield the Law of Life virtually overnight.
- The Mole: For Albert, initially.
- Nice Hat: More of a headband, but it's still some pretty impressive headwear.
- Official Couple: With Tilkas.
- The Red Mage: She's a healer and an offensive mage.
- Squishy Wizard
- Yamato Nadeshiko
One of the church's elite Leimornean hunters and the Pope's right hand man.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves the party from Rommy's Spot form, making her vulnerable to regular attacks so they can kill her.
- Char Clone: A more subtle one, but he's a rival to the main character with a Cool Mask who ends up being Caius's twin brother. He also has elements of the Char's Counterattack type, being a Knight Templar Well-Intentioned Extremist.
- Cool Mask: Part of his position. He's not allowed to take it off on the job.
- Defeat Means Friendship: He only joins Caius's side after he's defeated a few times. And after he realizes his father is wrong about what Life Magic will do.
- The Dragon: To the Pope.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: When he realizes Caius is his brother, he immediately asks him to join him and abandons Rommy when she tries to kill him.
- Freudian Excuse: His father told them Life Magic fuelled by Leimorean souls was the only way to bring back thousands of dead Leimoreans and his mother, as well as exorcise his only friend. He believed and went along with this until it became apparent it was all a lie, at which point he make a Heel–Face Turn.
- Half-Human Hybrid: His mother was Leimornean, but he doesn't want anything to do with his Leimen heritage.
- Heel–Face Turn: Once he realizes the Pope's wrong about Life Magic restoring all the killed Leimen to life.
- Instant Expert: Somehow he learns the right application of Life Magic just in time to save Caius from Rommy's Spot form.
- Knight Templar
- Luke, I Am Your Father: He and Caius are twins. Lukius is aware of this. Caius is not.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Or my Pope, right or wrong. He gets over it.
- Never Found the Body: His body disappears when the party returns after fighting the Pope. It's a sign that he's fine.
- Noble Top Enforcer: He's really not that bad of a person, especially compared to his partner, Rommy.
- Not So Different: To Caius. Both are fiercely loyal to their fathers and are incredibly stubborn in achieving their goals. It must be In the Blood.
- Not Too Dead to Save the Day: He shows up to pull a Big Damn Heroes, though reports of his death were exaggerated.
- Overlord Jr.: He's the Pope's son.
- Petting Zoo People: In beast form, not that he ever goes beast.
- Redemption Equals Death: Subverted. He's okay.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Rommy's red. Also the blue to Caius's red.
- Separated at Birth: He and Caius were. Caius went to live with his mother, while he lived with his father. He thought Caius was dead until meeting him years later, while Caius never knew he existed.
- Shipper on Deck: He's one for Arria and Tilkas, letting her get reassigned to Senshibia in the end to be with Tilkas.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: with Caius.
- Squishy Wizard: He doesn't have all that much health and deals the most damage through spells.
- The Un-Favourite: Zigzagged. He makes comments that seem to indicate his father likes Caius better than him (despite not even knowing him!), but he's still his father's right hand man, and his father has kind things to say about him before he dies.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: According to Arria, at any rate.
- We Can Rule Together: Asks Caius and Rubia to join him. They refuse, but later he joins them instead.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He was told (and believed) his father could resurrect every Leiman he killed and his mother, as well as exorcise Rommy, by casting Life Magic. Once he's proven wrong (and Caius beats some sense into him) he Heel Face Turns.
The leader of Janna's knights, who hopes to one day usurp the throne.
- Ambition Is Evil: His whole character is about ambition and revenge.
- Black Knight
- Blood Knight: Turned into one trying to avenge his family, who were disgraced and banished from Aurella.
- Childhood Marriage Promise: He made one with Arria.
- Damage-Sponge Boss: In his first battle he has 12 000 HP when you're at a point where you'll only be doing about 100 damage per strong hit if you're lucky. You don't have beast form to help you out either.
- Equal-Opportunity Evil: He would have made Arria Pope if he succeeded, and apparently she would have been the first female Pope.
- I Did What I Had to Do: He believes everything he's done is justified, if not necessarily good, because of his quest for revenge.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: Before the story, he just wanted revenge on a select few for being exiled. By the time the story takes place, he'll betray and kill almost anyone in his quest to be king.
- Recurring Boss: You fight him four times.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: With Arria. Dying will do that.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Until his family was disgraced and exiled, that is.
- We Can Rule Together: Albert offers Arria either the position of Pope (apparently the first female one) or to be his Queen. She rejects him.
- Wrong Guy First: Arria was in an ambiguous relationship with him, but breaks it off before he dies.
- Younger Than They Look: He certainly doesn't look like a teenager.
A Leimornean hunter who regularly works with Lukius.
- Ax-Crazy: She's the type who'd kill people for showing compassion.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: She's possessed by a Spot. Possibly also Dead All Along, it's not really clear whether she's alive but merely possessed, or a Spot inhabiting a corpse.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: She's a fan of it.
- Creepy Child: Very creepy.
- Demonic Possession: She's being possessed by a Spot.
- Didn't See That Coming: She certainly didn't see Lukius showing up and returning her to her true form coming.
- The Fake Cutie: She speaks with cute mannerisms, but don't be fooled, she's completely Ax-Crazy.
- Fantastic Racism: She initially seems biased against Leimorneans, but really she just hates everybody.
- Hannibal Lecture: She uses one on Rubia to erode her trust in Caius.
- Hate Sink: She's just generally a bitch with no redeeming features other than maybe the fact that she's possessed.
- Manipulative Bastard: Lies with a perfectly straight face (and cute pout), and actually manages to convince Rubia to doubt Caius enough to turn her back on him for a little while.
- Out-Gambitted: By Lukius.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Lukius's blue.
- Smug Snake: She devolves into one over the course of the game. Makes killing her all the more satisfying.
- Squishy Wizard: Like Lukius, she's entirely spell-reliant and not all that strong, once you break her guard.
- The Sociopath: She has a complete Lack of Empathy, holds no loyalty to anyone but herself, is needlessly cruel, and is very manipulative. Might have to do with her being a Spot.
- Soulless Shell: She's just a shell for the Spot possessing her.
- Taken for Granite: She has the power to turn others to stone when they're weakened.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behaviour: Cold-Blooded Torture, manipulation, hannibal lectures... Something's clearly not right with this kid.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: According to Arria. Not that it matters, as she's dead by the time the story begins.
The leader of the church of Janna, who ordered the campaign to exterminate Leimorneans.
- Big Bad
- Brainwashed and Crazy: At some point in the second half of the game, he gets possessed by a Spot.
- Demonic Possession: He's being possessed by a Spot for the second half of the game. Trying to use Life Magic apparently turned him into a 'Spot Nest'.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": His real name's never revealed, not even by Lukius (who should know it).
- Flunky Boss: He summons Spots to fight with him. Don't bother fighting them, he'll just bring them back.
- Forbidden Romance: He and Queen Melissa had one, being forced apart with one child each due to racism.
- Interspecies Romance: His wife was a Leimornean.
- Light Is Not Good: But it's not quite evil either.
- Love Ruins the Realm: It came close to, due to being an Interspecies Romance. The pair separated with one child each, but then the Leimornean capital was razed and love almost ruins the realm again when the Pope tried to bring Melissa back to life.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: To Caius and Lukius.
- Necromantic: His whole goal is to bring Melissa back.
- Together in Death: He gets to be with his dear Melissa in the afterlife.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He just wants to bring his wife back to life, and the campaign to wipe out her people was to collect enough energy to perform the Law of Life, which he thought would revive all the dead Leimen anyways. Of course, it wasn't going to work, but he thought it was.
King Areulla VIII
The mysterious king of Aurella, who lives in secluded isolation.
- Bigger Bad: He's behind every Leimornean slaughter in the past 6000 years.
- The Cake Is a Lie: He lied to two major leaders to influence a couple of slaughters for Life Energy.
- Life Energy: He needs lots of it.
- Light Is Not Good: One of his main elemental powers is the Light element.
- Manipulative Bastard: He's been manipulating various people for 6000 years to get them to start massacres so he can open a portal to the Spot homeworld.
- Older Than They Look: Even discounting the fact that he's been around for 6000 years, he looks like a child.
- Outside-Context Problem: For most of the story, the party is trying to stop the Pope from killing Leimorneans, and then the king comes into the story.
- Really 700 Years Old: Due to the power of Penscients, he's been alive for 6000 years.
- Teleport Spam: His main schtick when you fight him.
- Walking Spoiler: Before being cleaned up, his entry had pretty much all tropes except this one spoiler-tagged (not that this is allowed)
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He really just wants to go home. Well, and rule over both his world and Aurella.
The last Queen of the Leimornean people. Caius's and Lukius's mother and the Pope's dead wife.
- Dead All Along: For the first part of the game, it's left ambiguous whether Melissa survived the attack on her castle or managed to escape. When the party arrives in the Leimornean city, its in ruins, indicating that she died.
- Forbidden Romance: She and the Pope had one, being forced apart with one child each due to racism.
- Human Resources: Caius's Orphan's Plot Trinket turns out to be her Penscient Crystal.
- Interspecies Romance: She was in one with the Pope.
- The Lost Lenore: The Pope's entire motivation is to resurrect her and his son, who he thought was dead. (He's not.)
- Love Ruins the Realm: It came close to, due to being an Interspecies Romance.
- Together in Death: She's reunited with her husband when he dies.