open/close all folders
Tropes common in more than one character
Pretty Cure & Partners
Hibari Esumi (Cure Velocity)
Voiced by: Chiaki Omigawa
- "The Burning Crimson Highway Star! Cure Velocity!"
- Auto Erotica: Word of God claims that she was concieved on the backseat of Sōsuke's car.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass
- Custom Uniform: She wears her uniform with the sleeves rolled up and with Modesty Shorts replacing the Proper Tights.
- Daddy's Girl: No surprise, she gets along amazingly well with her father.
- Dual Wielding
- Elemental Punch: The fiery punch she names "Pretty Cure Mach Hyakuretsu-ken" in episode 3.
- Fiery Auburnhead
- Finishing Move: Pretty Cure Mach Rendezvous by herself, Pretty Cure Speed Queen Shooter with Cure Fangoria.
- Girlish Pigtails: Even though she isn't exactly girly. Her hair is really short and really messy so they come out as two puffballs instead.
- Gratuitous Foreign Language: Occasionally peppers her speech with Spanish and Italian words, no thanks to "Uncle Hant". This shows the most whenever she's particularly angry.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Line-of-Sight Name: She was named in a similar way to Tsubomi, but under different circumstances: Sōsuke actually wanted a son to name after Retsutaka, but since the child wound up being a girl, he had to settle for a Last Minute Baby Naming, naming her "Hibari" after a skylark perched on the window of the hospital.
- Parental Sexuality Squick: Averted. Not only she's perfectly aware of her parents' sex life, she is actually quite comfortable about it. It's the thought of Speedor and BearRV having sex that freaks her out.
- Quirky Household: Even if the Go-ongers other than her parents and Hiroto aren't related to her, Hibari treats them as if they were — going as far as calling Renn her "grandmother" — and loves them with all her heart.
- Rollerblade Good
- Sai Nut: Her weapons, the Street Sais.
- Shorttank: Big time.
- Shown Their Work: Hibari's blood type is O, which not only fits with her general personality but is also shared with Yasuhisa Furuhara, Sōsuke's actor.
- Small Name, Big Ego
- Something Else Also Rises: As an occasional Character Tic, her Girlish Pigtails audibly "puff out" whenever she's aroused.
- Tomboy to Kaori's Girly Girl
- Zettai Ryouiki: Type A in both forms.
Kaori Kurenai (Cure Fangoria)
Voiced by: Fuyuka Oura
- "The dawn sleeps and whispers my name — Cure Fangoria!"
- Bare-Fisted Monk / She-Fu: When not relying on dark magic attacks. Being skilled in gymnastics helps.
- Brown Eyes → Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Casting a Shadow
- Chained by Fashion: As Fangoria — like her father, though to a lesser extent.
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Her hair is a very dark auburn rather than black (although she does get a black Horned Hairdo when she transforms) but in either civilian or Cure form, she qualifies. She's really nothing but nice.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: to make up for her mom's Lethal Chef traits.
- Finishing Move: Pretty Cure Empress Moonbreaker (by herself), Pretty Cure Speed Queen Shooter (with Cure Velocity)
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly Girl to Hibari's Tomboy
- The Nose Knows: Kaori loves perfume, and wants to become a perfumer someday... unfortunately for her, her father's odd violin varnish ingredients tend to disagree with her sense of smell a lot. In fact, the one time she truly got angry at Wataru was when she discovered he used a carrion flower in one particular batch.
- Personality Blood Types: Just like Hibari, Kaori's blood type matches her father's actor's — Koji Seto carries a type A.
- Silk Hiding Steel: A nice Girly Girl with strong inner iron.
- Tights Under Shorts: Part of her usual attire.
- Yaoi Fangirl: While she keeps it a secret, she certainly has a thing for it — right down to knowing the different types of semes and ukes.
Voiced by: Hiroaki HirataHibari / Cure Velocity's Engine partner and, if you can call him one, "mascot", as well as Speedor and BearRV's son. Mostly the same as he was in Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger, but older and with several modifications.
- Conveniently an Orphan
- Flying Car: Like his father. He doesn't get to showcase it much this time around.
- Noble Bird Of Prey
- Verbal Tic: "Bari bari!"
Voiced by: Kunihiro KawamotoKaori / Cure Fangoria's fairy partner, who came from the future to help her fight against the Neo-Fangires. His species is actually a future divergence from the Kivat race.
- Bat out of Hell: Downplayed. While he almost looks the part, he's no more evil threatening than his bretheren in the end. He's just a mild jerk.
- Deadpan Snarker: Name something, anything, and he will have some kind of smartassed remark about it.
- Fastball Special: Fangoria uses him in her Barnabas Bullet attack, similar to her mother and Engine BearRV's Bullet Crash.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite the fact that he likes to gripe about anything and everything, and that he and Kivat-bat III are on less-than-friendly terms (the former even going so far as to outright insult the latter at times) he cares very much for Kaori's safety and wants to be rid of the Neo-Fangires as much as she does.
- The Rival: To Kivat.
- Shout-Out: Now, where have we heard the name Barnabas before...?
- Trademark Favorite Food: Eventually, he gains an affinity for marshmallows.
Pollution President BatcheerinaLeader of Shin-Gaiark, and daughter of Babatcheed.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Along with the Black King, once they make their alliance.
- Generation Xerox: Looks a lot like a female, more human-like version of her father's predecessor.
- Meaningful Name note
- Revenge Before Reason: She will never forgive Machalcon for Babatcheed's death.
- Robot Girl
- Verbal Tic: "-de aru"
Water Pollution Minister Dorojones
- Genius Bruiser: In contrast with Dumb Muscle Golden Rook.
- It Is Pronounced Tro PAY: The "Jones" part of his name is meant to be pronounced like the American surname. Hibari thinks it's pronounced the Spanish way, with the J having an H sound, thus wonders how can he get away with that kind of name.
- Meaningful Name note
- The Spock
- The Stoic
Earth Pollution Minister Fukeccio
- Dirty Coward
- The Kirk
- Meaningful Name note
- Narcissist: Since this is Gaiark we're talking about, it's a weird twist on the usual trope, in that he's infatuated with his ugliness and filthiness.
Air Pollution Minister Kebrunhilde
Voiced by: Tomoko Nakamura
Black KingThe leader of the Neo-Checkmate Four, and descendant of the original Fangire King.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Along with Batcheerina, once they make their alliance.
- Dark Is Evil: Why do you think he's called the Black King?
- Our Dragons Are Different: His true form is the Neo-Dragon Fangire.
- The Dark Chick: The least interested in the Neo-Fangires' conquest, but that doesn't make her any less of a threat.
- Evil Redhead: In human form.
- Ice Queen / Sarcastic Devotee
- Lady of Black Magic
- Evil Genius: Usually the first to point out flaws in both teams' plans and makes efforts to correct them.
- Faux Affably Evil
- Gentleman Snarker: often employing Sophisticated as Hell Flowery Insults in his worst moods. He hasn't shown this quite yet, however.
- Servile Snarker
- Stoic Spectacles.
Voiced by: Hiroyuki YoshinoMegumi and Keisuke Nago's son.
- Big Eater: Like his mother, which makes his embarrassment of her own Big Eater traits hypocritical at best.
- Black and White Morality: Very unwavering in his viewpoints of good vs. evil, to the point where he won't listen to anyone who says otherwise.
- Jerkass: So far, he is quite possibly the only person that Kaori — who is friends with nearly everyone that's not a villain — actually dislikes. Hibari isn't quite fond of him either.
- Odd Name Out: Alongside Yuiko, he is one of the few classmate characters to not be named after a Go-onger/Kiva actor.
Yuiko TsubakikojiCo-president of the Perfumer Club that Kaori starts at school.
- Genki Girl
- Odd Name Out: Alongside Masahiro, she is one of the few classmate characters to not be named after a Go-onger/Kiva actor.
- Serious Business: Takes her duties quite seriously.
- Custom Uniform: A bit moreso than Hibari. In his case, alongside the rolled-up sleeves, he wears his tie looser than other students and his jacket tied around his waist in a manner reminiscent of Akane Hino/Cure Sunny.
- Dreadful Musician: His dream is to become a rock star. Unfortunately, this trope means that he won't be getting very far...
- Japanese Delinquents: A rather mild example, compared to some of the school's actual punks.
- Multicolored Hair: Black and green.
- The Cheerleader: While she is a cheerleader, she's an extremely fun and friendly person.
- The Glomp: Pulls off one on Hibari in episode 3.
- Otaku: A big one for the Magical Girl genre. When knowledge of the Cures starts to spread, her Squeeing is ENDLESS.Hibari: Yo, Wakana-chan... Slow down... I mean, yeah, that kind of thing doesn’t happen everyday, but when it does you should probably take it easy and not act like you’re going through a sugar rush...Wakana: I can’t help it, Hibarin... Ever since I was little, magical girls have been a ginormous part of my life.
Other Returning Characters
Please note that only tropes regarding their appearance in Super Pretty Cure Time go here. For tropes specific to the character in general or their series, go to the appropriate pages.
Sōsuke EsumiHibari's father, formerly known as Go-on Red of the Engine Sentai Go-onger.
- The Ghost: Despite being Hibari's father, he rarely makes any appearances other than in photographs. Word of God justifies this as being that he finally made it big as a racecar driver, therefore barely has any free time to visit his newfound family.
Miu Esumi note
Voiced by: Yumi SugimotoHibari's mother, formerly known as Go-on Silver of the Engine Sentai Go-onger.
- Continuity Nod: Still sports the bob from the Gokaiger finale.
Voiced by: Hidenori TokuyamaHibari's uncle, formerly known as Go-on Gold of the Engine Sentai Go-onger.
Voiced by: Koji SetoKaori's father, formerly known as Kamen Rider Kiva.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Unlike Sōsuke, his hair seems to have gotten messier as time went on. note
- Give Her A Normal Life: Well, he certainly wanted this for his daughter, but the Powers That Be said otherwise.
- Will Not Tell a Lie: While Sōsuke and Miu have kept their heroic exploits secret from Hibari, Wataru's adherence to this trope meant that he and Saki told Kaori about their pasts much earlier. This inevitably leads to some awkward situations whenever Hibari visits Kaori's family...
- However, Wataru has yet to tell his daughter that she's quarter-Fangire.
- He also hadn't told her about Mio, his first love, though this was mostly out of forgetfulness than deliberate withholding.
Saki Kurenai note
Voiced by: Rina AizawaKaori's mother, formerly known as Go-on Yellow of the Engine Sentai Go-onger.
- One-Note Cook: Her Sweet Tooth was enough to propel her from cake shop employee to owner, but she still can't cook anything else without dumping sugar or other sweets into it. The worst of her efforts usually end up in Wataru's varnish, to her dismay.
- Open-Minded Parent: Saki is utterly thrilled at the prospect of Kaori becoming an "awesome heroine" like she once was, and even offers her fighting tips. Kaori mostly takes this in stride.
- Second Love: For Wataru.
Kivat-bat the 3rd
Voiced by: Tomokazu SugitaWataru's bat partner, who stuck around with him long after the events of Kiva.
Other New Characters
Voiced by: Yuko Oshima
- Abusive Parents: When she was younger, she was constantly mistreated by her mother, so she used music as a way to keep herself from cracking under the pressure.
- Actor Allusion: This isn't the first time Yuko Oshima has portrayed a redheaded character with mommy issues.
- Fiery Redhead: Inverted. Her hair is as red as red could be, but personality-wise she's pretty tranquil and laid-back. Unless, of course, the subject matter is the importance of being an idol.
- Idol Singer: When she started her career as part of the Girl Group Mettayo☼!!, she was a textbook example of this. Nowadays, her image has become that of a mature and elegant yet quirky woman — more or less like Lady Gaga, but downplaying the "quirky" part — with a more techno-pop style.
- Punny Name: Done in a similar way to The Cherry Project. Given her overarching cherry motif...