Characters: Shirokuma Cafe
A list of characters appearing in Shirokuma Cafe.
Shirokuma/Polar BearProprietor and namesake of the cafe. Loves his puns.
Voiced by: Takahiro Sakurai
- Blue Oni: To Grizzly's Red.
- Deadpan Snarker: But only in the dry, wry, whimsical, airy sense. This seems to be the sole reason he agreed to interview Panda.
- The Gadfly: He loves making bizarre statements to mess with everyone, especially Penguin. Though never without playfulness or affection. He justifies this by saying he just wants to bring some fun into their lives.
- Expansion Pack Past: He tells a touching story about his reasons for opening the cafe, and then Sasako brings up that he had told her a completely different version of events. He then shrugs and says both versions work. Penguin thinks he's making it all up.
- Episode 26 reveals he had a brief hip-hop career and Grizzly may have been his DJ.
- Evil Laugh: He doesn't laugh out loud much as an adult, but episode 25 reveals he had an absolutely chilling sinster chuckle as a cub.
- Gentle Giant: Although he's accidentally stabbed Penguin at least three times because he's forgotten how long his claws really are, or did he?
- Gratuitous English: When he raps.
- Pretty Fly For A White Bear: According to episode 26, he was a former hip-hop star by the name of MC 469MA.
- Pungeon Master/Rhymes on a Dime: Ever since he was a bear cub. He finally gets his comeuppance as everyone makes constant puns back at him.
- Punny Name: As MC 469MA. Which spells "Shirokuma: Shi = 4 Ro = 6 Ku = 9"
- The Stoic: His gentle demeanor never strays, even when he's making horrible puns or saying bizarre things to mess with his friends.
- Not So Stoic: Dare to say its unfair for him to charge for refills, though. After Panda and Masaki decide to become Tree Kangaroo's apprentices, his eyes bulge out. When all his friends starts throwing puns back at him, he panics while becoming desperate for normal conversation and ends up running away from everybody.
- Speech Bubbles: Shirokuma is the only character in the manga whose dialogue is never in speech bubbles.
- Supreme Chef: Complete with organic vegetable, herb garden, in-house coffee and mozzarella artisans.
- Waistcoat of Style: Starting from volume 3 of the manga Shirokuma almost always wears a black bistro-style waistcoat at work instead of his usual blue scarf. In the anime he wears it for one episode, and then is back to his blue scarf for the next.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Will wear just about anything for the sake of his terrible puns.
- Or for the sake of bumming free meals off his friends on pretend dates with them.
- He dresses up as a flight attendant just so that he can try doing a closing announcement.
- One of his Halloween costumes is a frilly pink dress, which he wears just to annoy Grizzly into giving him candy.
PandaA lazy teenage panda, who fills his time hanging out at the cafe, and complaining about his job.
Voiced by: Jun Fukuyama
- Achievements in Ignorance: Goes from a once a week, part time car salesman job, to a CEO in episode 29, simply because he's lazy and cute.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!
- Attention Whore: Panda occasionally strays into this as it seems like his ever-changing whims seems to revolve around how much attention people pay to him. Ironically, he loathes Rin-rin, who would lavish that kind of attention on him. (Justified that he sees Rin-Rin as a creepy stalker)
- Case in point: When the gang go to the beach, Panda revels in being adored by a group of old ladies. But when Shirokuma attracts a flock of younger people admiring him, Panda's expression quickly darkens, his ears take on the shape of devil horns, and he yells for Shirokuma to set up their camp already.
- Big Eater: He's so obsessed with bamboo that he wondered if a bamboo-scented shampoo was suitable for eating.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: One sip of Irish coffee is enough to knock him out. It just makes him tipsy in the manga, however.
- Catch Phrase: A minor one, but in the "Paper doll segments" at the end of each episode, he always starts by saying "Mr. Penguin! Mr. Penguin!",and asking him a stupid/insensitive question.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Many stories revolve around his bizarre, whimsical ideas.
- The Ditz
- It's All About Me: The nice but incredibly naive and self-absorbed version. He usually means well, but he's the happiest when everything in life catered to his whims.
- He gets depressed and attempts to run away from home because his mother said because of her busy schedule, his birthday is being consolidated with his brothers, so he would have to receive his birthday presents a month late. He takes this as his mother favoring his little brothers and sister over him.
- Lack of Empathy: Most of the time. Only in three occasions so far does he show sincere, non-ambiguous concern for his friends.
- Lazy Bum: At home.
- Panda-ing to the Audience: His job at the zoo.
- Shipper on Deck: Supports Handa and Sasako and takes it seriously.
- He even leaves a bonsai plant on Handa's doorstep with a poorly written note on it, claiming to be a gift from Sasako.
- The Slacker: To the point where he thinks working half of a half-day at the zoo is too much, even hopes to be laid off when another panda arrives as a temp worker.
- Tagalong Kid: Has so far invited himself to Grizzly and Shirokuma's fishing trip and night out. Grizzly was not pleased.
- Through a Face Full of Fur: Prone to blushing deeply through his pelt.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Compared to his manga counterpart, Panda is much more rude and thoughtless to his friends and peers.
- Just to give one example of many, in episode 22 Panda was generally rude to the Pygoscelis penguins, showed no interest in their cards, and called their Memory game boring, but in the manga Panda was much nicer to them and continued to play their Memory game rather than dismiss it.
- Took a Level in Kindness: In episode 28, he feels genuinely bad about Shirokuma having a brush with the law because of his laziness. To the point that he sincerely works hard at the Cafe the next day, minus a few hiccups.
- He's also heartbroken at learning that the zoo transferred Full-Time Panda to Singapore as they had been close, despite Panda's eccentric remarks. To the point he literally works himself to exhaustion.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: In the anime.
PenguinShirokuma's sarcastic bird buddy and regular patron.
Voiced by: Hiroshi Kamiya
- Actual Pacifist: Claims to be a pacifist at heart in episode 19, and when King Penguin kept hitting him, he only told her off.
- Butt Monkey: Particularly in his love life. He gets dumped by the Penko sisters when they find out they don't like him, and later he gets rejected by a female penguin who works at Brown Bear Cafe.
- Cannot Spit It Out: His crush on Penko. To the point where he didn't even know her name. Then it turns out there are seven female penguins working at the bakery, one working on each day of the week. Ironically one of them actually IS named Penko.
- Can't Hold His Liquor
- Deadpan Snarker
- Hidden Depths: He enjoys painting and even managed to stage an art showing of his work.
- Odd Friendship: With Grizzly
- Only Sane Man: When he's not lovesick.
- Sweet Beak: He found the fish-shaped pastries from Toraya very tasty.
- Unwanted Harem: After the events of Episode 15, he has seven female penguins going after him, until Episode 31, when they realize that they found nothing appealing about him and promptly dump him.
- They revisit him in episode 50 for the cherry blossom party and they brought their little sisters. Penguin, having learned his lesson, quickly fobs Llama off on them.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Panda.
SasakoSole employee of the cafe, and seemingly the only sane person there.
Voiced by: Aya Endo
- Captain Obvious: In episode 26, when Penguin asks her what she does on her day off, she says, "I take the day off."
- Hidden Depths: Apparently, she can tell very scary ghost stories. And in episode 41, we learn that she was a rather determined explorer when she was young.
- Hypocritical Humor: Sasako supports Penguin's aggressive tactic of asking Miss Penko out, but when asked if the same were to happen to her, she admits she wouldn't like it.
- Nice Hat: To be precise, a red bandana.
- And when off the clock, a nice paperboy style hat. And even a fedora.
- No Guy Wants an Amazon: Apparently has a bit of trouble with guys, due to being tall and broad-shouldered.
- Number Two: Manages the cafe whenever Shirokuma is away.
- Odd Friendship: With Llama, bonding over their nostalgia for the town they grew up in.
- Only Sane Man: Generally play this role when she's onscreen.
- Perpetual Smiler
HandaA rather bland zookeeper, and frequent victim of Panda's shenanigans.
Voiced by: Wataru Hatano
- Butt Monkey
- Eyes Always Shut: Though Polar Bear and Panda can freak him out enough for them to open.
- It Makes Sense in Context: His White Day gift to Sasako, though Llama and his kohai don't get it.
- Pungeon Master: During a pun gag. He adds a few puns of his own.
GrizzlyShirokuma's childhood friend. Has a rather short temper, and no concept of an inside voice.
Voiced by: Yuuichi Nakamura
- The Ace: He can get any job done with perfect results, from gardening to house cleaning, despite any protests he may have about it. Shirokuma enjoys taking advantage of this.
- Badass Biker
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: Though a certified and genuine tough guy, Grizzly has his moments of sweetness. He is absolutely heartbroken in episode 16 when he believes Shirokuma is dead, causing him to tearfully reminisce about him and Shirokuma playing as cubs. Also in the same episode he grows fond of a fox bartender's children, even becoming their "uncle".
- Made much more obvious when he was a teenager and getting flustered over a female grizzly he had a crush on.
- Butt Monkey: Used to be one when hanging out with Shirokuma in their childhood.
- Catch Phrase: ENJOU! ENJOU!! (Burn it up! Burn it up!)
- Dark Is Not Evil: He's basically the dark mirror of Shirokuma, with black fur, a more agressive personality, a less diurnal schedule and leather. Yet he's still a mostly decent person and sometimes the voice of reason when hanging out with Panda.
- Embarrassing Nickname: What his mother used to call himnote .
- Face of a Thug: Even more so when he dresses up as an oni.
- Furry Reminder: He was shown to hunt salmon, have eaten wildberries when he was a cub, and hibernate during winter.
- Guttural Growler
- Hot-Blooded: ENJOU!! ENJOU!!
- Large Ham
- Manly Tears: When he thinks Shirokuma is dead.
- No Indoor Voice
- Odd Friendship: With Penguin, due to both of them being straight men.
- Only Sane Man: When hanging out with Shirokuma and Panda.
- Red Oni: To Shirokuma's blue.
LlamaA llama who works at the zoo with Panda. Can't seem to get any attention at work.
Voiced by: Daisuke Ono
- Ascended Extra: Llama only appears a tiny handful of times throughout the entire manga. Compared to that, Llama is considerably more prominent in the anime, to the point where he's practically part of the main gang.
- Everything's Better with Llamas: Subverted, he gets ignored often especially at the zoo because he works too close to giraffes.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Due to being too close to the giraffe exhibit.
- Raised Catholic: Apparently. In the Christmas episode, he reveals he faithfully attends Mass every year.
- Younger Than They Look: He's apparently younger than Sasako.
Full-time PandaThe more experienced zoo panda who works with Panda.
Voiced by: Katsuyuki Konishi
- Catch Phrase: "Service, Service!"
- Closet Geek: Likes to build robot plastic models ("It's a man's hobby!") and keeps them in both his home and at the zoo.
- Panda-ing to the Audience: His job at the zoo.
- Put on a Bus: The zoo transferred him to Singapore. He had Handa and Kirino not tell Panda until after the fact and tried to spend as much time with Panda as possible until the day came. He sends Panda postcards from time to time.
- The Bus Came Back: He returns whilst on holiday with his family in Episode 50 for one heartwarming reunion with Panda and everyone else.
Mama PandaPanda's mom.
Voiced by: Toshiyuki Morikawa
- Fangirl: For Yama Arashi, a group of singing porcupines
- Running Gag: She attacks Panda with her vacuum whenever he writes off anything she says.
- Phrase Catcher: After attacking Panda with a vacuum.Panda: Aah, don't suck me up.
Rintaro "Rin-Rin" HayashiThe local town florist, who is totally nuts about pandas, particularly Panda.
Voiced by: Tokuyoshi Kawashima
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Panda obsessed crackpot? Yes. Exceptionally good florist? Most definitely.
- Chick Magnet: Unfortunately, his interests lie elsewhere...
- Loony Fan: The guy is gaga for pandas to an almost scary degree. Mr. Full-Time Panda seems to be the sole exception to his obsession. When he first admits his affections towards Panda, he gives off such a "Creepy Stalker" vibe that it is really uncomfortable to sit through.
- Love Martyr: Willing to do anything for Panda, who's creeped out by his advances.
- Pet the Dog: He actually provides Panda with sensible advice to make up with his mother after he eats her tulips.
Mei MeiPanda's little sister.
Voiced by: Kana Hanazawa