Characters: Shin Megami Tensei I
The Hero is an Ordinary High-School Student
living in Tokyo with his mother. He receives the Demon Summoning Program in an email and discovers a remarkable talent for Summoning.
- Badass: We're talking about a human with no special traits other than being selected by an old man to suffer the trial.
- Ambadassador: He can talk his way out of a ton of fights to avoid unnecessary violence, but can kick ass with the best with them the instant negotiations fail.
- Badass Normal: He can use swords and guns. No magic. Yeah he can summon demons but they are more like Hired Guns.
- Badass In Charge: After the events of the game he founded the Valhalla district in Tokyo Millennium and helped to expand it alongside Cerberus and Madam.
- The Beastmaster
- Cool Helmet/Shoulders of Doom: When equipped with the Dragon armor set in the game, according to some official concept-art◊.
- Dark Messiah: In every path. Saving the world means destroying everyone who opposes your vision for it.
- Disappeared Dad: His father never shows up or is even mentioned.
- Dying Alone: His body is found in a cave in the second game.
- Guns Akimbo: He has two handguns holstered on his sides after the Apocalypse.
- Heroic Mime
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: One method of getting Demons to join you is by having him sing to the demons, then the demons will do anything just so that he'll stop.
- Hurting Hero: After he finds out (from the horse's mouth no less) that his mother was devoured alive by a demon. It's worth noting that the demon says "Aw, what's with that face! Come on, there's no reason to be sad. You'll see her soon enough... in my stomach! Until then, why don't you entertain me for a bit!! I hope you taste as good as she did!".
- Possibly his feelings over having to kill the Law and Chaos Heroes, as they were his friends.
- I Have Many Names: A meta example. He's given the name:
- Kazuya in Shin Megami Tensei Character Profile: Steven Report I,
- Sho in Shin Megami Tensei Final Story: Atlus Official Replay Novel, and
- Futsuo in Kazuma Kaneko Complete Illustration Works, which translates to "ordinary guy".
- Katanas Are Just Better: Pictured with one in concept art.
- Kill the Ones You Love: No matter what path you take both Law Hero and Chaos Hero die, and you have to kill at least one of them.
- Like a Fish Takes to Water: He really dealt well with the fact he'd have to fight demons for the rest of his life, eh?
- Living Legend: In Shin Megami Tensei II. Not only did he help rebuild Japan after the events of the first game, but also has a statue of his achievement as the "First Champion" in the Colosseum.
- Magnetic Hero
- Momma's Boy: He loves his mother dearly. It does nothing to stop him from being the most powerful human alive.
- Neutral Good: Canonically. He's of Light morality, and the sequel is based on him choosing the Neutral Ending.
- One-Man Army
- Powers as Programs
- Reincarnation: Lilith believes he is Adam, and the Heroine is Eve.
- Scarf Of Ass Kicking
- Wrongly Accused: Near the beginning of the game, he is arrested for the murder of a man killed by a demon.
- You Killed My Mother: Prepare to Die, Ama no Sakugami! And this is only the beginning of the game.
The Heroine is the leader of an underground resistance movement against Gotou. Although she cannot use the Demon Summoning Program, she has incredible magic powers. She eventually becomes the main companion to the Hero.She saves the Hero, Law Hero and Chaos Hero from the end of the world by teleporting them to Makai and is killed in the Great Destruction. She is reincarnated years later and (incorrectly) declared the Messiah by the Messians, but is captured by Ozawa's forces and put under the control of the Psycho Diver, who (under coercion from Ozawa) implants a demon inside her mind that slowly consumes her from within. Her psychic cries for help damage the Hero during each Full Moon until she is rescued
- Action Girl
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Feel like going for Law? No probs! Shes got a lovely white and blue Templar cape. In a chaotic mode? Atlus has her decked out in a charming red and black combat suit under the cape. Neutral? Law and Chaos in Balance is the Neutral message in this game.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Rescuing the male leads from The Tokyo Fireball. Doesn't stick.
- I Have Many Names: A meta example. She's known as:
- Yuka in Shin Megami Tensei Character Profile: Steven Report I,
- Aoi in Shin Megami Tensei Final Story: Atlus Official Replay Novel,
- Futsuko in Kazuma Kaneko Complete Illustration Works,
- Maki Takahara in Crimson Night: Shin Megami Tensei II TRPG Genesis Jumpstart Kit.
- Journey to the Center of the Mind
- Light 'em Up: She learns Hama.
- Nice Girl: Quite.
- Reincarnation: Twice over. She is implied to be the Eve to the Hero's Adam, and she is killed during the Great Destruction and is reincarnated again later.
- Reluctant Warrior: At the end of the Neutral Path she says that she feels bad about how the war between Heaven and Hell has caused so much death and pain.
- Shock and Awe
- Undying Loyalty: No matter what path you take (Law, Neutral or Chaos), she's right there beside you.
- Zettai Ryouiki
A young man who meets the Hero while searching for his girlfriend (who coincidentally shares the name of the Heroine). He survives the end of the world and gravitates towards the message of peace broadcast by the Messians.He saves the Hero in a Heroic Sacrifice and is reincarnated by divine power into the Messiah, The Chosen One of the Messians. Although he begins as a kind and well-intentioned soul, his viewpoint is poisoned by the Knight Templar angels until he becomes just as radical and unforgiving as they are. He dies in every route: slain by Chaos Hero in the Law route, and by the Hero in the Neutral and Chaos routes
A young and reckless gang member who is first met while he is being beaten up by Ozawa. Although he talks big, he is cowardly and wishes for the power he does not have.He survives the end of the world and eventually decides to fuse himself with a demon, gaining incredible power and ditching the Hero. He then joins up with the Gaian armies in his pursuit of more power, though remains somewhat affable with the Hero. In the Law and Neutral routes he is slain by the Hero. In the Chaos route, he is killed when he greedily snatches a powerful artifact called the Devil Ring from the Hero, and is consumed by its power
- Badass Longcoat: An urban camo patterned trench coat.
- Body Horror
- Death by Irony: In the Chaos route, he steals the Devil Ring from the Hero, but is consumed because he was too weak to control the ring's power.
- Drunk on the Dark Side
- Evil Is Not a Toy
- Famous Last Words
"...So, my end comes as well... In the end, I couldn't beat you, [Hero]. You always were a step ahead of me. And I thought that I had finally gotten power that surpassed God's too ...Was this all... just a dream...? A nightmare...? No... It was a good dream... Goodbye, [Hero]..."
- Freudian Excuse: He's been bullied by everyone. THAT'S why he's so power hungry.
- Freudian Slip: "Now I have the power of a demon...!!! Now... Now no one will be able to pick on-DEFEAT me."
- Hypocrite: After acting as The Load to you for the first quarter of the game, he has the gall to abandon you after gaining demonic power because you would only "slow him down".
- I Just Want to Be Badass
- I Have Many Names: A meta example. He's given the name:
- Takeshi in Shin Megami Tensei Character Profile: Steven Report I,
- Tetsuo in Shin Megami Tensei Final Story: Atlus Official Replay Novel, and
- Waruo in Kazuma Kaneko Complete Illustration Works, which translates to "bad guy".
- Jerkass: He really doesn't develop past being a petty brat.
- Pet the Dog: He remains affable with the Hero even after betraying him, and even helps him on some occasions. If you make the choice to side against him, he is upset but resolves to fight you anyway.
- Playing with Fire: Has Agi spells.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: If you refuse to kill Ozawa.
- Took a Level in Badass: Once he fuses with a demon, his stats skyrocket.
- Tragic Monster
- We Used to Be Friends
- Weapon of Choice: After the fusion he wields a sweet katana.
An alluring young woman aligned with Gotou who pledges eternal allegiance to the Hero. For this reason, she is incredibly jealous of the Heroine.Her true identity is Lilith, the biblical serpent that tempted Adam in the Garden of Eden. Believing that the Hero is the reincarnation of Adam, she wishes to be his partner so that they can create a new world together. She is killed by the Hero in the Law and Neutral routes, but steps aside in the Chaos route so that the Hero can be happy alongside the Heroine
The wheelchair-bound genius who created and distributed the Demon Summoning Program. He was also the inventor of a teleportation system that inadvertently opened a portal to the underworld, setting off the events of the game. Bears absolutely no resemblance
to Steven Hawking.
Commander of the Japanese Self-Defense Force who attempted a coup d'e tat.
- Full-Frontal Assault: While he appears in his uniform in his video feeds, he's encountered wearing a fundoshi in his base.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Based off of Yukio Mishima who also attempted a coup d'e tat and posed in fundoshi.
A Jerkass gang leader
. He turns out to have a remarkable talent for Summoning and allies himself with Gotou.He survives the end of the world and strikes a deal with the new demonic regime so he can rule over the district of Shibuya. After Chaos Hero fuses himself with a demon, he kills Ozawa out of revenge
See Shin Megami Tensei Forces Of Chaos
After demons begin to appear in the streets of Tokyo, the player can go to Inogashira Park and meet an old man who speaks cryptically of the hero gaining great power
and of a choice between Law and Chaos
. He then conjures up a vision in which the hero, Law Hero and Chaos Hero fight against the devil summoner Douman and are soundly defeated. The vision ends and the old man tells the hero that he is too weak to fight Douman, but that they will likely fight again and that he must be careful.
After arriving in the post-apocalyptic world, the player can find the same old man in Ginza, where he will tell the player to return if no path forward seems possible. If the player then says both Echidna and Haniel, the old man will reveal a secret path to the otherwise inaccessible Cathedral.
Near the end of the game, as the player prepares to battle Archangel Michael or the Asura Lord/Ahura Mazda, the old man reveals himself to be 太上老君 - shortened in the AGTP translation to Taijorokun (it should be Taijo-rokun, or Tai Shang Lao Jun) and officially translated as Taishang Laojun
. After both are defeated (at the end of the Neutral path)
, he appears in the ending to comment on the risks that the plans of Law and Chaos posed to the future of humankind, and urges the player to help shape that future free of the influence of outside forces.
- Badass Creed: In the Neutral ending, on the need for a balance between Law and Chaos.
- Expy: Not of any specific person, but he is basically supposed to support Taoism, a belief based entirely on balance.
- Neutral Good: He's your ally in the Neutral path.