Characters: Shin Megami Tensei I
The Hero is an Ordinary High-School Student living in Tokyo with his mother. He receives the Demon Summoning Program in an email and discovers a remarkable talent for Summoning.
- Badass: We're talking about a human with no special traits other than being selected by an old man to suffer the trial.
- Ambadassador: He can talk his way out of a ton of fights to avoid unnecessary violence, but can kick ass with the best with them the instant negotiations fail.
- Badass Normal: He can use swords and guns. No magic. Yeah he can summon demons but they are more like Hired Guns.
- Badass In Charge: After the events of the game he founded the Valhalla district in Tokyo Millennium and helped to expand it alongside Cerberus and Madam.
- The Beastmaster
- Cool Helmet/Shoulders of Doom: When equipped with the Dragon armor set in the game, according to some official concept-art◊.
- Dark Messiah: In every path. Saving the world means destroying everyone who opposes your vision for it.
- Disappeared Dad: His father never shows up or is even mentioned.
- Dying Alone: His body is found in a cave in the second game.
- First-Person Ghost: The other human party members are seen frequently, but the Hero is never seen. The only reason it's known he's even male is because he's referred to as such. Averted on the Sega CD version.
- Guns Akimbo: He has two handguns holstered on his sides after the Apocalypse.
- Heroic Mime
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: One method of getting Demons to join you is by having him sing to the demons, then the demons will do anything just so that he'll stop.
- Hurting Hero: After he finds out (from the horse's mouth no less) that his mother was devoured alive by a demon. It's worth noting that the demon says "Aw, what's with that face! Come on, there's no reason to be sad. You'll see her soon enough... in my stomach! Until then, why don't you entertain me for a bit!! I hope you taste as good as she did!".
- Possibly his feelings over having to kill the Law and Chaos Heroes, as they were his friends.
- Idiot Hero: Averted, both in gameplay and story. While Intelligence is a fairly useless stat for his companions, it's incredibly useful for him as it greatly increases the success of demon negotiation.
- I Have Many Names: A meta example. He's given the name:
- Kazuya in Shin Megami Tensei Character Profile: Steven Report I,
- Sho in Shin Megami Tensei Final Story: Atlus Official Replay Novel, and
- Futsuo in Kazuma Kaneko Complete Illustration Works, which translates to "ordinary guy".
- Katanas Are Just Better: Pictured with one in concept art.
- Kill the Ones You Love: No matter what path you take both Law Hero and Chaos Hero die, and you have to kill at least one of them.
- Like a Fish Takes to Water: He really dealt well with the fact he'd have to fight demons for the rest of his life, eh?
- Living Legend: In Shin Megami Tensei II. Not only did he help rebuild Japan after the events of the first game, but also has a statue of his achievement as the "First Champion" in the Colosseum.
- Magnetic Hero
- Momma's Boy: He loves his mother dearly. It does nothing to stop him from being the most powerful human alive.
- Neutral Good: Canonically. He's of Light morality, and the sequel is based on him choosing the Neutral Ending.
- One-Man Army
- Powers as Programs
- Reincarnation: Lilith believes he is Adam, and the Heroine is Eve.
- Scarf Of Ass Kicking
- Wrongly Accused: Near the beginning of the game, he is arrested for the murder of a man killed by a demon.
- You Killed My Mother: Prepare to Die, Ama no Sakugami! And this is only the beginning of the game.
The Heroine is the leader of an underground resistance movement against Gotou. Although she cannot use the Demon Summoning Program, she has incredible magic powers. She eventually becomes the main companion to the Hero.She saves the Hero, Law Hero and Chaos Hero from the end of the world by teleporting them to Makai and is killed in the Great Destruction. She is reincarnated years later and (incorrectly) declared the Messiah by the Messians, but is captured by Ozawa's forces and put under the control of the Psycho Diver, who (under coercion from Ozawa) implants a demon inside her mind that slowly consumes her from within. Her psychic cries for help damage the Hero during each Full Moon until she is rescued.
- Action Girl: A staple among the Heroines, though she stands out especially.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Feel like going for Law? No probs! Shes got a lovely white and blue Templar cape. In a chaotic mode? Atlus has her decked out in a charming red and black combat suit under the cape. Neutral? Law and Chaos in Balance is the Neutral message in this game.
- Combat Stilettos: A red pair.
- Damsel in Distress: Though balanced out by the fact that male characters also end up in similar situations. After it occurs the second time she Takes A Level In Badass, even though she already was one.
- Depending on the Artist: Applies to all characters, but afflicts her especially.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Rescuing the male leads from The Tokyo Fireball. Doesn't stick.
- I Have Many Names: A meta example. She's known as:
- Yuka in Shin Megami Tensei Character Profile: Steven Report I,
- Aoi in Shin Megami Tensei Final Story: Atlus Official Replay Novel,
- Futsuko in Kazuma Kaneko Complete Illustration Works,
- Maki Takahara in Crimson Night: Shin Megami Tensei II TRPG Genesis Jumpstart Kit.
- Journey to the Center of the Mind: Sends the Hero on one, who later goes into her mind to destroy the demon possessing her.
- Light 'em Up: She learns Hama.
- Nice Girl: Quite.
- Reincarnation: Twice over. She is implied to be the Eve to the Hero's Adam, and she is killed during the Great Destruction and is reincarnated again later.
- Reluctant Warrior: At the end of the Neutral Path she says that she feels bad about how the war between Heaven and Hell has caused so much death and pain.
- Shock and Awe: Learns Zio spells, which aren't resisted by much other than zombies.
- The Smurfette Principle: The only human woman to join the party.
- Support Party Member: Even moreso than the Law Hero. She learns the most spells out of the three magic-using humans without a particular focus, meaning that she'll likely become the party's most valuable asset.
- Undying Loyalty: No matter what path you take (Law, Neutral or Chaos), she's right there beside you.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Somewhat.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A.
A young man who meets the Hero while searching for his girlfriend (who coincidentally shares the name of the Heroine). He survives the end of the world and gravitates towards the message of peace broadcast by the Messians.He saves the Hero in a Heroic Sacrifice and is reincarnated by divine power into the Messiah, The Chosen One of the Messians. Although he begins as a kind and well-intentioned soul, his viewpoint is poisoned by the Knight Templar angels until he becomes just as radical and unforgiving as they are. He dies in every route: slain by Chaos Hero in the Law route, and by the Hero in the Neutral and Chaos routes.
- Always Save the Girl: His main motivation at the beginning of the game is to rescue his girlfriend, who was kidnapped as part of an effort to capture the Heroine. Unfortunately, by the time he reaches her, she's a Bodyconian, and is given the option to find an item that will grant her eternal rest.
- Blow You Away/Make Me Wanna Shout/Psychic Powers: Learns Zan spells, which encompass all three.
- The Chick: To an extent. He values his humanity immensely, especially compared to the Chaos Hero.
- Church Militant
- Combat Medic: Learns Dia spells.
- Crucified Hero Shot: His introduction.
- Distressed Dude: After he's kidnapped by Nebiros he becomes this.
- Famous Last Words:"Is this what...Is this what God wanted...? I'm...going to die...again? Wasn't I chosen by God... to offer him everyth...!! So that's it...Now I see I was nothing but a sacrifice. Nothing but a pawn to... accomplish God's ends... To be discarded at any time..."
- Heel Realization: After you deal him a mortal wound on the Neutral path.
- Heroic Sacrifice: The first time he dies, he sacrifices himself to save the Hero.
- Last Stand: If you choose to reject Law.
- I Have Many Names: A meta example. He's given the name of:
- Yuji in Shin Megami Tensei Character Profile: Steven Report I,
- Toshiki in Shin Megami Tensei Final Story: Atlus Official Replay Novel, and
- Yoshio in Kazuma Kaneko Complete Illustration Works, which translates to "good man".
- Knight Templar: Becomes this later in the game.
- Lawful Stupid
- Light Is Not Good: His Messiah form is that of a young man in a pope outfit.
- Messianic Archetype: Complete with dying and being resurrected by God. Subverted in that he is never the saviour of mankind in any path, dying before he can assume that role.
- Nice Guy: Before he becomes a Messian he was very kind, sympathetic towards others, and the peacemaker of the group.
- Stupid Sacrifice
- Well-Intentioned Extremist
- We Used to Be Friends
A young and reckless gang member who is first met while he is being beaten up by Ozawa. Although he talks big, he is cowardly and wishes for the power he does not have.He survives the end of the world and eventually decides to fuse himself with a demon, gaining incredible power and ditching the Hero. He then joins up with the Gaian armies in his pursuit of more power, though remains somewhat affable with the Hero. In the Law and Neutral routes he is slain by the Hero. In the Chaos route, he is killed when he greedily snatches a powerful artifact called the Devil Ring from the Hero, and is consumed by its power.
- Badass Longcoat: An urban camo patterned trench coat.
- Body Horror
- Death by Irony: In the Chaos route, he steals the Devil Ring from the Hero, but is consumed because he was too weak to control the ring's power.
- Drunk on the Dark Side
- Evil Is Not a Toy
- Famous Last Words"...So, my end comes as well... In the end, I couldn't beat you, [Hero]. You always were a step ahead of me. And I thought that I had finally gotten power that surpassed God's too ...Was this all... just a dream...? A nightmare...? No... It was a good dream... Goodbye, [Hero]..."
- Freudian Excuse: He's been bullied by everyone. THAT'S why he's so power hungry.
- Freudian Slip: "Now I have the power of a demon...!!! Now... Now no one will be able to pick on-DEFEAT me."
- Hypocrite: After acting as The Load to you for the first quarter of the game, he has the gall to abandon you after gaining demonic power because you would only "slow him down".
- I Just Want to Be Badass
- I Have Many Names: A meta example. He's given the name:
- Takeshi in Shin Megami Tensei Character Profile: Steven Report I,
- Tetsuo in Shin Megami Tensei Final Story: Atlus Official Replay Novel, and
- Waruo in Kazuma Kaneko Complete Illustration Works, which translates to "bad guy".
- Jerkass: He really doesn't develop past being a petty brat.
- Pet the Dog: He remains affable with the Hero even after betraying him, and even helps him on some occasions. If you make the choice to side against him, he is upset but resolves to fight you anyway.
- Playing with Fire: Has Agi spells.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: If you refuse to kill Ozawa.
- Took a Level in Badass: Once he fuses with a demon, his stats skyrocket.
- Tragic Monster
- We Used to Be Friends
- Weapon of Choice: After the fusion he wields a sweet katana.
An alluring young woman aligned with Gotou who pledges eternal allegiance to the Hero. For this reason, she is incredibly jealous of the Heroine.Her true identity is Lilith, the biblical serpent that tempted Adam in the Garden of Eden. Believing that the Hero is the reincarnation of Adam, she wishes to be his partner so that they can create a new world together. She is killed by the Hero in the Law and Neutral routes, but steps aside in the Chaos route so that the Hero can be happy alongside the Heroine.
- All Love Is Unrequited
- Biblical Bad Guy: Lilith
- But Thou Must: You're not allowed to choose her as a love interest.
- Even Evil Has Standards: "You... You killed Chaos Hero... How can you live with yourself!?! Killing your friend with a straight face!? Have you no remorse!?" Coming from a demon that was willing to Murder the Hypotenuse that's pretty damning.
- Famous Last Words"...I wanted to be your partner so badly... It just... didn't work out..."
- If I Can't Have You
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: On the Chaos Path, she steps aside to allow the Hero and Heroine to be happy together.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: As soon as the Hero even meets the Heroine, Yuriko kidnaps her and tries to have her executed.
- Stalker with a Crush
- Unholy Matrimony: With Chaos Hero. Subverted, as she's just using him as a weapon against the Hero, and either dies or ditches him when it becomes clear that she isn't going to get the guy.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Looks like a Palette Swap of your heroine towards the end of the game.
The wheelchair-bound genius who created and distributed the Demon Summoning Program. He was also the inventor of a teleportation system that inadvertently opened a portal to the underworld, setting off the events of the game. Bears absolutely no resemblance to Steven Hawking.
- Genius Cripple: Became crippled after he was attacked by a demon.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: Testing of his teleportation program randomly managed to rip a hole in reality that filled the world full of demons.
- I Owe You My Life: Kazuya would be dead if he didn't have Stephen's demon summoning program.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Totally not Stephen Hawking.
- Reincarnation: The Kikyo Amulet-catalyzed vision in the GBA/iOS Visionary suggests that he's the reincarnation of Abe no Seimei.
GotouCommander of the Japanese Self-Defense Force who attempted a coup d'e tat.
- Full-Frontal Assault: While he appears in his uniform in his video feeds, he's encountered wearing a fundoshi in his base.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Based off of Yukio Mishima who also attempted a coup d'e tat and posed in fundoshi.
A Jerkass gang leader. He turns out to have a remarkable talent for Summoning and allies himself with Gotou.He survives the end of the world and strikes a deal with the new demonic regime so he can rule over the district of Shibuya. After Chaos Hero fuses himself with a demon, he kills Ozawa out of revenge.
- Asshole Victim: When he dies, you really can't feel sorry for him. Even the Law Hero doesn't register a complaint over if the Chaos Hero kills him.
- Gang of Bullies: He leads one.
- Karmic Death: He beats up Chaos Hero before the end, and is killed by Chaos Hero as revenge in the post-apocalyptic world.
- Knife Nut: His character art depicts him holding a butterfly knife behind his back. Not that he ever fights you himself, though.
- School Yard Bully All Grown Up: After the End