Nightmare Fuel: Shin Megami Tensei I
- Shin Megami Tensei I decides to punch you in the face early on by having you fight a demon who ate your mother and disguised itself as her.
- Shin Megami Tensei I also has a small Town with a Dark Secret, Roppongi. Said place is oddly safe amidst the destruction of Tokyo. Inside, there are these two cheerful fellas and their beautiful adopted daughter... Alice. The two guys are Belial and Nebiros, and the citizens of Roppongi are all dead, because they killed them so they could bind their spirits to Earth so they would never leave Alice.
- So you're soft-resetting Shin Megami Tensei I and, by great misfortune, the game loads into a screen with this horrible buzzing noise and nothing onscreen but a repeated single phrase: "TURN IT OFF RIGHT NOW!"
- Even better? In the original Japanese the subject of that line is ambiguous, meaning it's telling you either to turn off the console, or turn yourself off - as in, the game is ordering you to commit suicide. Imagine getting that message late at night after playing for a while.
- By the way, this isn't real, it's an Urban Legend of Zelda. But it's a testament to this game that anyone who's ever played it believes it immediately.
- How do the games hammer your death into your head? When you hit 0 HP, the screen immediately turns black. Again, imagine this happening while playing at night, especially with the lights off.