Characters: Native American Mythology
An indigenous pantheon. This is sorted by tribe.
open/close all folders
The Tobtob Kin
The "light" gods, but remember, Light Is Not Good
. These gods tend to be more rational than the others.Inyan
The first life form. Created all the other gods.Maká
The spirit of the Earth.Wi
The sun spirit. Associated with masculinity. This connection is one reason the word for "summer", bloketu
, derives from the word for "male".Taku Skanskan
That which brings movement. Also the spirit of the sky.Wakinyan
Inyan's companion. Hates pollution of any kind. Spirit of thunder. Is a bird.Wohpe/Pte San Win
Maká's daughter. The spirit of all things feminine.Wi Win
Wi's ex-wife. The spirit of the moon.Tate
Taku Skanskan's brother. Spirit of the wind.Tatanka
The spirit of ceremonies. Became a god along with his friend, Hu Nunp.Hu Nunp
The spirit of wisdom and Tatanka's friend.Tate Tob
The four winds. The sons of Tate and Ite.
- Adam and Eve Plot: In some stories, they're the male ancestors of mankind.
- Blow You Away
- Cain and Abel: Over a woman, of course.
- Color-Coded Characters: Eya as black, Yata as white, Yanpa as yellow, and Okaga as red.
- Evil Is Deathly Cold: Yata
- Fire, Ice, Lightning: In order, Okaga (south), Yata (north), and Eya (west)
- Five-Man Band: Okaga's The Hero (being represented by red), Yata's The Lancer (being the coldest to Okaga's passion), Eya's The Smart Guy (because of his lightning association), Yanpa's laziness makes him The Big Guy, and their last brother Yumni pulls double duty as The Chick (god of love) and Sixth Ranger.
- The Four Gods: Literally and in the sense of "four directions".
- Freudian Excuse: Their mother ruined the old order, so they create a new order.
- Human Mom, Non-Human Dad
- Kuudere: And not the one you would think: Okaga has this in spades.
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: Wohpe chooses Okaga, the South Wind. He's represented by red.
- Love-Obstructing Parents: In the sense that none of them want Wohpe to marry any of the other three.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Okaga in recent portrayals.
The four winds' brother. Or half-brother, depending on the version you hear.Nagi, Nagila, Ni, and Sicun
The Wakan Sica
gods. Associated in syncretism with Satan
. Dark Is Not Evil
, though, and sometimes they can be quite useful. And they form a Five-Bad Band
Wakan Sica, she is the Big Bad
of many a myth.Iya
Unk's son and lover
. They make many monsters together. His name means "mouth", and he consumes everything.Gnaskipeya
Iya's son and half-brother. Tends toward trickery. While Iya consumes everything, Gnaskipeya is ruled by his sexual urges.Inktomi
Formerly Ksa, the god of wisdom, he lost a mon
battle to Gnaskipeya and decided toward chaos.Ite
-wife and the mother of his children.Uncegila
One of the monsters Unk and her sons produce. Yes, Villainous Incest
is at it again.Unktehi
The Unktehi are a group of monsters produced by Unk and her sons.Mni Watu
Creatures made by Unk and her sons which cause disease. They're too small for you to see, though.
The original god, who brought the world into existence by dancing.Weywot
Quaoar's son, the god of the sky. Later conquers and enslaves the Taksnote
, before being killed by his own sons. Also, he can fly.Chehooit
Quaoar's daughter, the goddess of the earth.Tamit
Weywot's son (and killer), the god of the sun.Moar
Chehooit's son, the god of the moon.Chinigichnix
A prophet born in present-day Long Beach who created human beings. Not technically a god, but deserving of mention. He also has animal avengers who spy on humans.